The end for sky...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not wrong there, I rang up to cancel but ended up agreeing to a new twelve month contract, I was happy....ish and assume Sky were, I will break the chain one day.
They're just second hand news man. Time to go your own way innit

For me its down to the lack of choice. Sky or BT only show a select few matches, whereas xbmc NBC sports I can watch any of the prem matches with a vpn. The UK gets massively short changed on English premier league matches in terms of cost and content
But I bet you wouldn't pay if there was a service to watch every game legally. It's a law in place to protect lower league teams as no other country has a football pyramid like the UK. Where you have large support throughout the leagues and history dating back hundred plus years.

I think this is interesting. I remember a few years ago reading an article where a tech writer predicted that a fledgling start up called Netflix would change the way TV is produced, and it would start commissioning its own shows rather than just sharing a lacklustre back catalogue of other content producer's stuff. Netflix produced House of Cards, it won Golden Globes and Emmys.

In New Zealand, the default Content Delivery Network for the Premier League is Premier League Pass which streams every game. The rights to every game are owned by them in that territory, and they have a slick interface which allows people to select the game which they want to view. They can then replay any other games which they may have an interest in.

In the next auction (or possibly the one after that), there is speculation that 3pm games could be televised. If that happens, I can see an organisation such as BT purchasing the ENTIRE rights package; and operating a similar CDN via an updated set top box. How much would a user pay for access to all games? £45 per month? That's £540 per year. With factoring for operating costs, and a return on investment, approximately 5m subscribers would see this operation profitable. Sky currently have 10.6m subscribers. The key for BT would be utilising this to gain complete control of the delivery network, wrestling this from Sky; while also growing their broadband network (switch to BT Total or whatever for to receive your Broadband, Full TV & Phone including FULL PREMIER LEAGUE COVERAGE).

I would expect that once BT have rolled out infinity across the vast majority of the country, they will be looking to deploy this 'online' based CDN; and they will look for a catalyst such as the premier league rights to ensure there is sufficient uptake...

My 2 pence anyway.

That last TV deal announced will be the last big one. The bubble will definitely burst, but the only people to blame will be the greed of the Premier League and Sky.

The Sky business model is outdated. You pay a fortune to be able to watch the games yet get bombarded with adverts on all the channels that you're already paying for and the ironic thing is 70% of the channels just show BBC repeats (that you've already paid for with the license fee) because they are cheap to run and they need to subsidise the Sports Channels. Subscriptions like Netflix on demand are the way forward. Sky are halfway there, but they are stuck. They can't throw away the old model as they need all that advertising revenue, but they are in danger of being left behind.

Meanwhile all the pubs who currently show the game will get their prices pushed up to pay for this new deal, because Sky had to bid a crazy amount as it is their crown jewel. Pubs are charged a % of their turnover rather than a flat fee, so more and more pubs will have the football removed once the prices go up. Sadly that means some boozers will close and it means fewer people will get a chance to watch the games in a pub, so the knock on effect is a lot of casual fans will just not bother following the games as closely as they might have. That'll have a knock on effect at grounds too as the more casual fans who might go once every other month stop buying tickets completely because they haven't been following what's going on.

Ultimately by paying this stupid amount Sky have ensured that they'll kill football in the UK with this new TV deal. We'll end up like the Italian league in ten years time.

I think this is interesting. I remember a few years ago reading an article where a tech writer predicted that a fledgling start up called Netflix would change the way TV is produced, and it would start commissioning its own shows rather than just sharing a lacklustre back catalogue of other content producer's stuff. Netflix produced House of Cards, it won Golden Globes and Emmys.

So someone, back in circa 1997 wrote an article predicting netflix would start to produce TV shows? I wonder where he parked his Delorean?

So someone, back in circa 1997 wrote an article predicting netflix would start to produce TV shows? I wonder where he parked his Delorean?
I think it was about 2004-ish, because I was at uni. Hmm, didn't realise Netflix was that old. Either way, I apologise for my use of the term 'fledgling startup', I retract this, and offer 'established postal dvd rental company'.

Edit: Might even have been later than 2004. Might have been 2005.

All this talk about Sky ripping subscribers off but since the Prem were forced to split up the packages Football fans are having to fork out for two subscriptions.

BT are only forcing the price up.
It's more to do with the dumb subscribers, paying what Sky ask, rather than BT's competition.

But I bet you wouldn't pay if there was a service to watch every game legally. It's a law in place to protect lower league teams as no other country has a football pyramid like the UK. Where you have large support throughout the leagues and history dating back hundred plus years.
It's not. It's an agreement.

It's more to do with the dumb subscribers, paying what Sky ask, rather than BT's competition.

The BT subscription is free if you have their broadband as well and I think it is free on Virgin Media too? I read somewhere that for the price BT paid for the first three seasons TV deal it was something daft like 50% of their advertising budget at the time, so they did it as an experiment. Obviously worked for them though they've got the Champions League from next season and they've just bought Orange / EE so they could really cause Sky some headaches

I think it was about 2004-ish, because I was at uni. Hmm, didn't realise Netflix was that old. Either way, I apologise for my use of the term 'fledgling startup', I retract this, and offer 'established postal dvd rental company'.

Edit: Might even have been later than 2004. Might have been 2005.

Still canny foresight from the writer either way, Netflix were a huge DVD rental business back then. I can understand someone thinking they may change delivery to digital, but to suggest they'd produce their own high quality shows back then (when youtube hadn't even yet launched) is almost like time machine stuff! Fair play to the writer, I hope he invested in netflix shares!

Sorry, but the excuse of using the saturday 3pm law to protect lower league clubs is archaic and has no place in the modern world.

Will a Darlo ST holder not go becuase Arsenal V Chelsea is on a 3pm ko on TV? No.

It was brought in decades ago to protect lower league attendances.

When it came in, top flight, big club matches were at a premium. So your Leyton Orient fan might skip a home game if the big match Manchester derby was on the Tv.
The even in the 90s there was only MNF and 1 supersunday game.

its 2015 now. Fans of any club see the big matches all the time, its reached saturation point.
MNF, 2 (sometimes 3) super sunday games, Saturday early KOs, Saturday 5.30pm KOs, the worlds biggested clubs on terestrial tv most weeks cos of the Champions Lg.
The big matches and big clubs are nothing special anymore.

Are we really saying that now, in this day and age of big club saturation, a Orient or Darlo fan would stay away to watch the Chelsea V Man City if it was a live Saturday 3pm KO?
In reality the answer is no. Its nowt special to them anymore.

The real reason that they dont go with it is so they can keep the monopoly as it is now!

Sky/BT could quite easily, like the music indsutry eventually did, embrace this. Legalisation is the way forward and it will actually bring them further revenue streams, not kill them.
Streaming yes, but even PPV on their sky boxes.
Its really easy and the tech is there now. Us away to Man Utd on saturday - have it available on PPV for say, £4.99.
Quinnys issues about pubs round the grounds showing it - easy. Dont have it PPV within say, 25 miles of the ground a game is being played it.

They could do it tomorrow - literally. they wont. the excuse is the lower lg 3 pm protection. Thats balls. the answer is they dont want to and dont need to .....yet.

But they will eventually as they will have to

they've just bought Orange / EE so they could really cause Sky some headaches

It'll be interesting to see what they do with EE's set top box. It's more advanced than the current youview boxes in that it has 6 tuners and records the last 24 hours of almost every channel so you can go back through the EPG quickly and watch what you want.

Nah, mostly apart from the big games (which we are and never will be part of ) the streams are f***ing shite.
You can get every premiership, Serie A, Liga, Bundesliga, Ligue1 etc games in full HD on a stream if you know where to look (and in some cases, throw a few £ a month at it)

There wouldn't be any renegotiation in that scenario, they'd go bust. Not going to happen yet, but for sure the new deal puts them under financial pressure

People are lazy though, like with bank accounts they can't be arsed to cancel the sky contract

Cancelled mine at the start of this year, bought my free sat box and loving life. Hooky downloads for the things I miss on Sky (basically 2 programmes) and I've always been to poor/tight to pay for Sky Sports anyway, so I stream footy.

Plus I get the added benefit of not giving money to Rupert Murdoch, and he is actually evil. So that's a plus.

Still canny foresight from the writer either way, Netflix were a huge DVD rental business back then. I can understand someone thinking they may change delivery to digital, but to suggest they'd produce their own high quality shows back then (when youtube hadn't even yet launched) is almost like time machine stuff! Fair play to the writer, I hope he invested in netflix shares!
I've tried to find the article online, but no luck. I seem to remember some paralel was drawn between Blockbuster Video had previously tried to set up their own production company (or bought shares in a production company, or signed some sort of deal with a production company?!) whereby they would be able to distribute 'their own' movies through their stores bypassing cinematic release, and it had failed; because of the marketing budget of big movies meaning nobody would pay for videos (DVDs?) which were an unknown quantity, but with the Netflix model because it was subscription based, people would be more willing to take a punt and as such people would try unproven content, and it would enable Netflix to produce lower budget 'indie' style quality, and distribute it without paying exorbitant fees to the Hollywood studios. There was a lot more reasoning and research than I am giving credit for, but that was the gist of it.

I've tried to find the article online, but no luck. I seem to remember some paralel was drawn between Blockbuster Video had previously tried to set up their own production company (or bought shares in a production company, or signed some sort of deal with a production company?!) whereby they would be able to distribute 'their own' movies through their stores bypassing cinematic release, and it had failed; because of the marketing budget of big movies meaning nobody would pay for videos (DVDs?) which were an unknown quantity, but with the Netflix model because it was subscription based, people would be more willing to take a punt and as such people would try unproven content, and it would enable Netflix to produce lower budget 'indie' style quality, and distribute it without paying exorbitant fees to the Hollywood studios. There was a lot more reasoning and research than I am giving credit for, but that was the gist of it.

Maybe they were thinking for DVD distribution? That sounds like a more plausible prediction, produce low budget movies which people may take a punt on via their DVD subscription. Back in 2004 youtube had not yet launched, when it did it was full of low quality videos and it took a while for it to become anywhere near commercial, even when it did the budget for online only content was tiny and it was mainly shorts (possibly due too to bandwidth issues at the time).

The thought of HBO, or even network style/budget TV shows such House of Cards/OITHB etc would have been unthinkable. Fair play to the author of the article though.

Live premier league games are streamed all over the net these days and lots of people have android boxes etc.. The same applies to movies and most TV. As this is becoming more popular it's got me wondering about how this could impact on sky the premier league and FFP.

10 years ago iTunes and downloads via free sharing sites resulted in huge changes to the way music is acquired and it's not hard to see something similar happening to TV. The music industry didn't adapt to the changes in time and I wonder with the new premier league deal if sky and the clubs have considered the possibility of the subscribers disappearing and finding free alternative ways of watching football in large numbers? Imagine these android boxes and other systems become even more reliable and easier to update and the majority of people start to use them instead. Where does that leave sky who are committed to ploughing millions into the game if they lose a large chunk of income? If they were unable to pay out in full and had to renegotiate the TV deal where would that leave clubs who have probably earmarked the money to clear off debts before running up more?

don't know if this is gonna happen but i read on the internet the f.a are looking into streaming all matches to tv's in the home come 2017 like they do in Germany. like i said don't know if this will come off but did read it. Think the f.a realise they are missing a trick. isp's block streams all the time yes but u only need a simple vpn to get them all back. not really that hard is it.

People have the power, not Sky. If everyone cancelled then Sky would vanish, we won't though.
exactly same with tv licence or council tax n everything else forced onto us. sadly we a re sheep lol

Interesting fact - People who have been cut off for not paying their bills are having their debt written off and invited back on a half price contract. Mention that when you're trying to cut a deal. :evil:

People have speculated that if the worldwide popularity of the Premiership continues to grow then someone like Apple could bid for the whole lot including the UK.
They could afford it out of change down the back of the corporate sofa. No troublesome rights issues across borders, instant presence in the market.
Not sure I would want it but it would be interesting.
The rights will never be sold lock stock and barrel to one broadcaster.........

Do sky not get most of their income from selling TV rights abroad and foreign advertising. Ironically, the paying customers contribution becomes less and less of a "Must Have", rather like the fan numbers coming through the gate to Premiership teams.
Sky don't sell the TV rights abroad the PL do as its their product...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back