The Borini Signing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambezz

Winger
Is it naive of me to think that us signing Borini permanently will give the likes of O'Shea, Cattermole, Larsson, Johnson, Fletcher (i.e players who have seen what he can do for us - scoring in the big games as an example) a massive lift, which may positively impact their performances?
Or are they not likely to give a shite?

I don't want to tar all of them with the same brush, but we have a few players who only put a shift in when they need to, are no longer trying to build a career, and are so wealthy that it doesn't matter a great deal what else happens. So for them, I don't imagine it will do much except maybe help them stagger over the finishing line a bit easier this season.

For others, Borini's professionalism and effort (and that of others) might rub off.

Hopefully more the latter than the former.

I don't want to tar all of them with the same brush, but we have a few players who only put a shift in when they need to, are no longer trying to build a career, and are so wealthy that it doesn't matter a great deal what else happens. So for them, I don't imagine it will do much except maybe help them stagger over the finishing line a bit easier this season.

For others, Borini's professionalism and effort (and that of others) might rub off.

I agree with this.

There is also the impact it may have on the likes on Lens and M'Vila - new players who may wonder what it is they've signed up for with regards to certain performances so far. Borini's professionalism and effort could shock them.

This 100%

Is it naive of me to think that us signing Borini permanently will give the likes of O'Shea, Cattermole, Larsson, Johnson, Fletcher (i.e players who have seen what he can do for us - scoring in the big games as an example) a massive lift, which may positively impact their performances?
Or are they not likely to give a shite?
Your last sentence answers your question.

Hopefully we can field a team of players most of whom aren't like that in terms of mentality: Pantilimon, Kaboul, Jones, PVA, M'Vila, Toivonen, Lens, Borini, Defoe. That's 9 out of a starting 11

Hopefully we can field a team of players most of whom aren't like that in terms of mentality: Pantilimon, Kaboul, Jones, PVA, M'Vila, Toivonen, Lens, Borini, Defoe. That's 9 out of a starting 11
Interesting how it's mostly the foreign players that we seem to trust to have a professional attitude these days.

Interesting how it's mostly the foreign players that we seem to trust to have a professional attitude these days.

Not sure how much of a correlation there is these days - I think British based players take better care of themselves than they used to. One thing it might be is that with the premium on the cost of English players, there's always more risk that if we can afford them, there's something wrong with them.

Not sure how much of a correlation there is these days - I think British based players take better care of themselves than they used to. One thing it might be is that with the premium on the cost of English players, there's always more risk that if we can afford them, there's something wrong with them.
Good point. There's definitely something wrong with a few of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back