Team for Stoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

PS

Striker
We have to start thinking about Brown and/or O'Shea coming to the end of their careers, so should we not take a look again at Virgini as one of the CH's in the Cup, and that also gives a chance for Jones to show what he can bring as a more attacking RB?

Alvarez and Gomez to start instead of Giacci and Rodwell? (Assuming we don't want to push Rodwell to play 3 games in a week)

Pants to get some game time too.

pantilimon

jones Vergini Coates Pva

Bridcutt
Larsson Gomez

Giaccherini-----------------Alvarez

Fletcher (if fit)
possibly?

Pantilimon
Jones - O'Shea - Coates - Van Aanholt
Cattermole - Gomez
Johnson - Alvarez - Buckley
Altidore​

Whatever Gus does he needs to try a 4-4-2. You can't attack with a 4-5-1 formation.

I'd go:

Pantilimon
Jones O'Shea Brown PVA
Cattermole Gomez
Johnson Alvarez Giaccherini
Wickham
Subs: Mannone, Vergini, Coates, Seb, Bridcutt, Buckley, Jozy

We have to play a strong team because we'll lose otherwise, but we can make a few changes.

Vito's been class, but Pantilimon deserves to get some sort of gametime.
Jones deserves a shot at right-back, Vergini's been poor 2 games on the trot now.
Was thinking about Coates at centre-back and wouldn't be surprised to see it but Brown/O'Shea are our best CBs.
Gomez for Larsson, I like the look of him so far, he can pick a pass.
If Ricky is fit, play him... keep Giaccherini/Johnson, they are our other creative players.
Keep Wickham up front, he's our best striker and is more likely to score with Johnson, Giaccherini, Ricky & Gomez behind him.
Maybe slightly harsh on Buckley, but I don't see him as better than AJ/Giaccherini.
Gus might play Bridcutt, but I think Catts has to play, he's probably our best player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back