T20 World Cup 2024

I think we will be far better this WC, simply because the playera play T20 and all those players bar 2 will have played in the IPL. I dont think by any means we will it mind.
Yes I think the format is key. We were like a fish out of water at the ODI WC. It was like watching squash players being asked to play tennis. This will suit them much better.

His last 20/20 England performance was 22/23 vs Bangladesh. 20/21 was the next series he played in for 20/20s. So has only bowled 11 overs in 20/20s for England in 3/4 years. His last overs bowled in 50 over cricket are still over a year ago. He hasn't bowled regularly competitively for years bar two short series. It's alot of pressure going into a world cup being expected to bowl at top standard regularly over a month imo. At the end of the day he's bowled 50 overs all in over the past 3 years for England.
Not saying I wouldn't take him, that he's not good enough, won't perform or anything, just think the approach to him amplifies the expectation on him
If they think he's fit enough it's a no brainer, he's only going to get fit playing.

He managed to bowl 30.1 overs last year and managed to stay fit bowling for England between the 27/01/23-14/03/23 (a longer window than the Pakistan series and World cup combined)

If England got to the final he'd only have to bowl a max of 36 overs. Throw in the Pakistan games it's 52 overs.

Will Archer play all games if we got all the way to the final, I doubt it.

Malan potentially hard done by this squad as well
I like Malan but I don’t think T20 is his best format.

Bairstow very fortunate to be in. I wonder if that century the other day has seen him sneak in? I think it’s time England looked beyond him tbh, in all formats.

I’ve never got the Livingstone hype.

I like Malan but I don’t think T20 is his best format.

Bairstow very fortunate to be in. I wonder if that century the other day has seen him sneak in? I think it’s time England looked beyond him tbh, in all formats.

I’ve never got the Livingstone hype.

It’s all to do with Bairstow being popular, one of the lads, nothing else.

Will be a huge relief the day that we start picking the best players for the job.

Totally see the other side of the argument and could be seen as a stupid thing to say taking into his record.

But looking at that squad full of openers and lack of a finisher in the middle.

Would be really tempted to bat Buttler in the middle order
It’s all to do with Bairstow being popular, one of the lads, nothing else.

Will be a huge relief the day that we start picking the best players for the job.
I am 100% sure they have picked what they think is the best players for the job including Bairstow, whether he should be in or not is a debatable point I can see.
I think it’s silly to suggest they think other players are better but have just picked him because he one of the lads!!!

It’s not a local/school team it’s a World Cup!

Last edited:
Totally see the other side of the argument and could be seen as a stupid thing to say taking into his record.

But looking at that squad full of openers and lack of a finisher in the middle.

Would be really tempted to bat Buttler in the middle order

I am 100% sure they have picked what they think is the best players for the job including Bairstow, whether he should be in or not is a debatable point I can see.
I think it’s silly to suggest they think other players are better but have just picked him because he one of the lads!!!

It’s not a local/school team it’s a World Cup!
Yes but you can sometimes be blinded by loyalty. Wonder what his fielding is like after his surgery.Probably wouldn't be wise to fling and dive around a la T20 after such a serious injury.

The biggest issue I see with YJB is batting him in the middle order when all his success in T20s has been opening the batting.

Completely different game coming in after 10 overs than starting things off at the top of the order.

Yes but you can sometimes be blinded by loyalty. Wonder what his fielding is like after his surgery.Probably wouldn't be wise to fling and dive around a la T20 after such a serious injury.
Yeah definitely concern about his fielding and can see the debate whether he should be playing or not really can.

But for me for world cups whatever side they pick to me has nothing other than the best interests of winning it.

No issue in picking Bairstow in this format, but it’s time to move on in tests

Tin hat on: modern shouldn’t be there
If we weren’t in the West Indies then maybe. But these pitches are probably going to be slow and shite so his bowling should be useful with the hopes he can score some runs as a bonus.

No issue in picking Bairstow in this format, but it’s time to move on in tests

Tin hat on: modern shouldn’t be there
Very few that can bat well at 6-7 in the format. As much as he’s inconsistent he’s the best we can probs call on, especially when he can offer some good overs of spin too.

Be his international retirement hope it’s a massive final hurrah for him, such a likeable player.

Listening to the Wisden podcast they were saying there were murmurings Bairstow was causing issues behind the scenes during the India Test series with a very sulky and moody attitude.

Back