WAW Sunderland Vs Manchester City - 40 Years On

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

The epic 1973 FA Cup victory has long been written into the annals of history. Sadly it is so distant that the majority of current fans were not even born or too young to appreciate the full scale of the achievement. Although I was fortunate enough to attend the heroic final, there is also a particular game I remember in the cup run against Manchester City, who were favourites after knocking Liverpool.

More at Wearewearside...

I can remember that game very well as a 14 yr old - I was in the Fulwell end and can recall watching Halom hitting that shot from the edge of the area then looking to my right past the 2 blokes standing in front of me and seeing the ball crashing into the net off the post - mental night

The most emotional match I ever watched at Roker Park.

Vic Halom, Vic Halom, Vic Halom.

What a glorious night.

I missed it. I was at Maine Road on the Saturday for what I thought was going to be a canny day out and not expecting owt but what a fantastic day that was. About 15000 Sunderland fans and several thousand Man U fans (Man U game was postponed at Old Trafford that day due to frozen pitch) joining together and supporting the lads in a 58000 crowd. Lots of trouble in the City end but this was the game when we realised winning the cup was on.
I was 13 and didn't get back until the early hours, slept in, and was too late to queue up for a replay ticket.

I'd got disillusioned after the relegation (relegation combined with the onset of puberty is the kind of thing to provoke massive door slamming), and the dismal two or three seasons that followed. That replay was the game that restored my faith. Bastards - that's 40 more years bloody torment as a result ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back