Sunderland need to take more tactical risks, says talisman Adam Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish our players would go the Scholes route and not talk to the media. Stating the bleeding obvious off the field then failing to apply it on the field is annoying.

We're too defensive, Johnson is just saying what we all know.

It's not his fault we're set up that way

ADAM JOHNSON says Sunderland need to address their attacking deficiencies, as well as cutting out the howlers at the back.

Individual defensive errors have cost Sunderland dear in their last two games, with back-to-back defeats against Southampton and Arsenal propelling the Black Cats into the Premier League’s bottom three.

But Sunderland also struggled going forward against the Gunners, with Gus Poyet’s men failing to muster a meaningful effort on the opposition goal.

Finding the net has proved to be a problem throughout the campaign, with Sunderland drawing a blank in five of their opening nine Premier League games.

And winger Johnson, restored to the starting XI last weekend after two games on the bench, believes that is the area which Sunderland must improve in Monday night’s trip to fifth bottom Crystal Palace.

Johnson told the Echo: “Obviously we’ve made mistakes, but I think we need to look like scoring more as well.

“We need to take more risks going forward.

“Everyone gets behind the ball and we can’t get out because everyone’s so deep.

“If we can rectify both ends of the pitch and just play like we know we can, we’ll be fine.

“We huffed and puffed and worked hard against Arsenal and pressed around the pitch.

“But it’s about putting the ball in the net as well. That’s how you win games.

“We’ve got to start creating more chances and putting them away when we get them.”

Johnson admits there was a tentativeness to Sunderland’s play against Arsenal after the previous weekend’s 8-0 drubbing at Southampton.

And the Easington-born winger believes Sunderland need to restore some self-belief if they are to become a more potent outfit.

He added: “As a team, we need to get our confidence back. That’s maybe what it’s down to, being more confident going forwards and not worrying about losing a game so much.

“I think if we got a result at Southampton and got beat by Arsenal at home, it wouldn’t have been as bad.

“But back-to-back defeats is tough. We need to put that right on Monday.

“I don’t think it was necessary Southampton. I think maybe, with Arsenal coming to the Stadium of Light, everyone was just a bit edgy.

“We were behind the ball and letting them have it, but eventually they’ll hurt you. I know they didn’t really hurt us, but if you give them chances, they’re going to punish you and Arsenal don’t take those gifts and not put them in.”

No shit Sherlock! Of course we need to take risks! What do you think we have been shouting all this time!

Not you btw...Adam Johnson.

It's not a good combination when you sit very deep and your attacking players are either too slow to create space on a rapid counter or not skilled enough to operate without space. From that standpoint, either we play Wickham up front and two fast wingers (which almost must include Buckley) to counter or we sit higher and play Fletcher in the middle and Johnson on one wing, wasting the pace of PvA, Buckley, and Jones (if fit) most of the time.

As much as I've stuck up for Poyet in the past and I'm not at the stage where I want him sacked, the football so far this season has been O'Neill-esque.
This. He spent more time at right back last week than he did in the final third. Which is how it was towards the end of oneills reign.

ADAM JOHNSON says Sunderland need to address their attacking deficiencies, as well as cutting out the howlers at the back.

Individual defensive errors have cost Sunderland dear in their last two games, with back-to-back defeats against Southampton and Arsenal propelling the Black Cats into the Premier League’s bottom three.

But Sunderland also struggled going forward against the Gunners, with Gus Poyet’s men failing to muster a meaningful effort on the opposition goal.

Finding the net has proved to be a problem throughout the campaign, with Sunderland drawing a blank in five of their opening nine Premier League games.

And winger Johnson, restored to the starting XI last weekend after two games on the bench, believes that is the area which Sunderland must improve in Monday night’s trip to fifth bottom Crystal Palace.

Johnson told the Echo: “Obviously we’ve made mistakes, but I think we need to look like scoring more as well.

“If we can rectify both ends of the pitch and just play like we know we can, we’ll be fine.

“We huffed and puffed and worked hard against Arsenal and pressed around the pitch.

“We’ve got to start creating more chances and putting them away when we get them.”

Johnson admits there was a tentativeness to Sunderland’s play against Arsenal after the previous weekend’s 8-0 drubbing at Southampton.

And the Easington-born winger believes Sunderland need to restore some self-belief if they are to become a more potent outfit.

He added: “As a team, we need to get our confidence back. That’s maybe what it’s down to, being more confident going forwards and not worrying about losing a game so much.

“I think if we got a result at Southampton and got beat by Arsenal at home, it wouldn’t have been as bad.

“I don’t think it was necessary Southampton. I think maybe, with Arsenal coming to the Stadium of Light, everyone was just a bit edgy.

“We were behind the ball and letting them have it, but eventually they’ll hurt you. I know they didn’t really hurt us, but if you give them chances, they’re going to punish you and Arsenal don’t take those gifts and not put them in.”
All behind the ball.

And let in 8 at sham.
not lol.

As much as I've stuck up for Poyet in the past and I'm not at the stage where I want him sacked, the football so far this season has been O'Neill-esque.

Very much so.

It might be that he doesn't have the attacking players he wants, it might be that he doesn't feel we're good enough defensively to attack too much, but it's f***ing dull to watch and isn't working

keep the back four tight, the rest move up to attack or be prepared to break, even if the other team get the ball they still have to find a way to put it in the net, we are scared of everyone right now, just get out and go for it, feck what the manager says if you think it is wrong...prove it to him and prove that if the team plays a certain way they will score and win!!

I'm not sticking up for Poyet but must be a reason why a succession of managers play defensive tactics with the players we have, maybe they think we will get hammered every week it we try and play attacking football. The one recent manager(Di Canio) who played fairly attacking with 2 upfront most games was sacked very early into his stint due to poor results.

Nice typing out ;)

Spot on Adam. You can see it as others in the squad can probably see it. Majority on here can see it. Now hold on who cannot see it, oh aye Gus.
Even Stevie Wonder called to say, " How negative is Gus! "

It's not a good combination when you sit very deep and your attacking players are either too slow to create space on a rapid counter or not skilled enough to operate without space. From that standpoint, either we play Wickham up front and two fast wingers (which almost must include Buckley) to counter or we sit higher and play Fletcher in the middle and Johnson on one wing, wasting the pace of PvA, Buckley, and Jones (if fit) most of the time.

We should have Johnson, Giac and Alvarez once fit starting every game. They can all swap positions and they're all far superior to Buckley. We can then have Cattermole and Rodwell providing cover behind. Shame two of them are injured, not that we'd set up that way under Poyet anyway

I doubt the club would let him come out and have a dig in the Echo, so he's likely repeating exactly what Poyet is telling them. If then that is what Poyet is telling them to do, whose fault does it become when it isn't done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back