Sunderland need to take more tactical risks, says talisman Adam Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Midfield
ADAM JOHNSON says Sunderland need to address their attacking deficiencies, as well as cutting out the howlers at the back.

Individual defensive errors have cost Sunderland dear in their last two games, with back-to-back defeats against Southampton and Arsenal propelling the Black Cats into the Premier League’s bottom three.

But Sunderland also struggled going forward against the Gunners, with Gus Poyet’s men failing to muster a meaningful effort on the opposition goal.

Finding the net has proved to be a problem throughout the campaign, with Sunderland drawing a blank in five of their opening nine Premier League games.

And winger Johnson, restored to the starting XI last weekend after two games on the bench, believes that is the area which Sunderland must improve in Monday night’s trip to fifth bottom Crystal Palace.

Johnson told the Echo: “Obviously we’ve made mistakes, but I think we need to look like scoring more as well.

“We need to take more risks going forward.

“Everyone gets behind the ball and we can’t get out because everyone’s so deep.

“If we can rectify both ends of the pitch and just play like we know we can, we’ll be fine.

“We huffed and puffed and worked hard against Arsenal and pressed around the pitch.

“But it’s about putting the ball in the net as well. That’s how you win games.

“We’ve got to start creating more chances and putting them away when we get them.”

Johnson admits there was a tentativeness to Sunderland’s play against Arsenal after the previous weekend’s 8-0 drubbing at Southampton.

And the Easington-born winger believes Sunderland need to restore some self-belief if they are to become a more potent outfit.

He added: “As a team, we need to get our confidence back. That’s maybe what it’s down to, being more confident going forwards and not worrying about losing a game so much.

“I think if we got a result at Southampton and got beat by Arsenal at home, it wouldn’t have been as bad.

“But back-to-back defeats is tough. We need to put that right on Monday.

“I don’t think it was necessary Southampton. I think maybe, with Arsenal coming to the Stadium of Light, everyone was just a bit edgy.

“We were behind the ball and letting them have it, but eventually they’ll hurt you. I know they didn’t really hurt us, but if you give them chances, they’re going to punish you and Arsenal don’t take those gifts and not put them in.”

He's spot on.

Creative players can only create if they get players around them making runs into areas to be picked out. Far far too often Johnson is given the ball in a deep and wide position and expected to do something. Its not going to happen. If Messi was given the ball on the half way line out wide then he wouldn't be dangerous either.

If Poyet can't change the way we play to get the team further forward, or he is scared by the lack of pace in the likes of Larsson, Cattermole, O'Shea, Brown, Vergini etc then he should look to utilise the personnel in a different way to negate it.

RISKS!!!! Get him out Poyet! We want a solid back 4 and midfield 5 sitting on our own 18 yard box

Hes spot on ofcourse but we just wont do it. Poyet is way to cautious - Dont know why either, as its clearly not working.

A clear dig at Poyet but can't say I blame him in the slightest, he must be sick to death of being treated as Poyet's scapegoat when things aren't going well. Even more so when he gets taken off for Jozy f***ing Altidore.

I know how he feels, I used to get taken off a lot at school, mine was due to not coming back to defend, never did like dropping back from wide left, although we never got beat much as I put us a goal up in most of them.

Not sure if he was teaching me some sick lesson in one game but he stuck me left back, got tortured and we got stuffed 7-1. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back