Sunderland In Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

There wasnt many. Most of them are dead now but I knew one bloke - john Musgrove (RIP) - who went and he reckoned that there was about 500 in the Nep stadium. He travelled by rail as he worked for BR.

That was a great following for those days to Eastern Europe.

If.....and its a bloody big if. I would try and get there by hook and crook. Probably be some shit team in outer Belarus that we would lose too. a game against any team within about 4 hours drive of Calais would be cracking like.

7000 at Juve v Man City the other night. Truth is the Europa League is not a money-maker at all. But prestige-wise of course it would be good for the club.
And it would get a monkey off our back.

It would interesting to see how many we would take to a game in Italy or Spain.

Anyone know anyone who went to Budapest or Lisbon in 1973?

A few of the lads from the park inn went to both games,they are all still alive and kicking,I was on the high seas otherwise I would have been there anarl::-(

I get the distinct impression, right or wrong, that the first game we play in Europe, competitively since 1974, would be an old timers reunion.

I reckon its an over 40's party with the hosts in for a bit of a shock.

Must say and personally I'd be over in a shot; chartered flight, no ticket and generally "enjoying" the hospitality.

Any thoughts on what it would be like - other than fecking mayhem? :lol:

I'd be flying from London (or a ferry from Dover if it's northern France/Benelux) so travel would be canny easy for me like. Think we need to get a couple of strong replacements in to cover the cracks that are starting to appear before I'd be confident of getting into Europe though.

Actually if we did qualify for Europe I reckon it would be too soon. The squad isnt strong enough at the moment. Still, lets not get carried away or well have egg on our faces. Nice to dream though.:)

I'd be flying from London (or a ferry from Dover if it's northern France/Benelux) so travel would be canny easy for me like. Think we need to get a couple of strong replacements in to cover the cracks that are starting to appear before I'd be confident of getting into Europe though.

Lets calm down lads, we could be in a relegation battle yet :roll::roll:

That was a great following for those days to Eastern Europe.
I think John went to Lisbon as well. There is a picture in an SAFc book I have of about 50 or so flying from Newcastle.

Otherwise I guess it was the independents plus a few European exiles in the ground.

Not publicising anything :oops: but when I was doing the When football Was football - sunderland - book I got access to a load of photos of the team playing in both games. Brilliant pictures and again a part of SAFC's history that has never been properly chronicled.

i put as many in as possible.

Every Sunderland fan I have ever met wants to go to our next European game. It will be mad. Hopefully it will be against a side with a decent size ground and my 40 loyalty points will be enough!!

Every Sunderland fan I have ever met wants to go to our next European game. It will be mad. Hopefully it will be against a side with a decent size ground and my 40 loyalty points will be enough!!
TBH who gives a flying fuck about loyalty points (dont take that personally marra). european and world travel is about going over by yourself and getting tickets there by hook or by crook.

also whilst crap to say we would be no attraction and the stadium we played in would be half empty.

Poledancer (george) would sort a top class trip out.

Lets calm down lads, we could be in a relegation battle yet :roll::roll:

Who's getting carried away like? After nearly 40 years of being put through the wringer we're allowed to be a bit upbeat. It's bound not to last anyhow, that's one thing following SAFC has taught me.

Can I point out that this , in my view, will not happen so that when it doesn't , I don't want to be labelled as someone who was getting carried away

I will go to the first Euro match for certain. Air prices from here will not get too inflated, and I could wangle a home ticket if need be via my contacts dotted across Europe.

Nee point in all this struggle then not going the extra mile when it finally comes off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back