Structural Engineers for RSJ Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Striker
Contacted someone last year to do some calculations who said they would do the work in Jan, but its looking like I've been dropped in.

Can anyone recommend and have used a local (Sunderland) structural engineer who can do the calculations for me?

Contacted someone last year to do some calculations who said they would do the work in Jan, but its looking like I've been dropped in.

Can anyone recommend and have used a local (Sunderland) structural engineer who can do the calculations for me?
you found someone? pm if not

When I built my house I used a bloke from Chester let street called George wood,sent him the drawings and he had my calcs back within a week,cost about £50 iirc.
A quick Google should get his number.

Is it a load bearing wall you're removing or something bigger like an extension? Are you submitting plans to the council for building regs or just a building notice?

Is it a load bearing wall you're removing or something bigger like an extension? Are you submitting plans to the council for building regs or just a building notice?
It's for an extension, 2 external walls coming down, and 2 internal.

Building regs have passed the plans.

It's for an extension, 2 external walls coming down, and 2 internal.

Building regs have passed the plans.
Ah right. I was going to make a suggestion but for a job that size it wouldn't work.
I took down a load bearing wall and got the calcs from Birtley lintels after sending them sketches. After speaking to the building inspector though I changed birtleys recommended lintel to an I beam that I got from a company down Hendon. A structural engineer on a forum called diynot.com worked out the size of the beam for me and gave me figures to show to the inspector. I did the job with a building notice, no plans submitted.
Have to say the inspector was great he made suggestions like putting in pads for the lintel to sit on and how to make them. I disagreed (politely) with one of his suggestions and he agreed which was a surprise. I wa expecting a jobsworth ogre but he was the opposite. Good luck with the job.

What's it for

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back