Sting

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was at the Palace away game a few year back when we beat them 3-0, Jimmy Nail was with and Gazza was in somewhere as well. It was December, must have been Xmas shopping

He was at the Palace away game a few year back when we beat them 3-0, Jimmy Nail was with and Gazza was in somewhere as well. It was December, must have been Xmas shopping
I saw Jimmy Nail on the tube a few months ago, he got off at Sloane Square. He had been performing in War of the Worlds in the West End.

Surely he meant this, a mere 40 years later!
Hughton led Newcastle to win the 2009–10 Football League Championship.
Incidentally, it's always great crack to ask Mags about their '69 win; where the final was and what was the score. Also where they finished in the League the previous season (12th iirc) The Intercity Fairs Cup was an invitation/exhibition trophy, so the teams in it qualified by having a Trade Fair in their town the previous year. The quality of opposition was dire.
The mighty Ujpest Doza, they played in the final, were only there because one of their opponents didn't bother to turn up for their game :lol:

Not at all - primarily based on League position. At the time often regarded as a stronger tournament than the other 2 European Competitons.

I know Newcastle are known for rewriting history but that's absolutely nonsense ..... the competition wasn't recognised by UEFA, was abandoned and had teams going through on byes and coin tosses.

The team Newcastle beat in the final were knocked together by the army.

Feyernoord, Oporto, Sporting Lisbon.......

(Keep it up lads, you'll convince yourselves eventually....:lol:)

The opposition doesn't matter a damn, The ICF Trophy has the same status as the Isle of Man Cup. Mags like to kid themselves it turned into the UEFA Cup, but of course as that is a major competitive trophy it clearly did not. "You must have had a trade fair" "One club one city" "You must not be good enough for the real European tournaments" Three simple 'qualification' rules. Decent achievement - yes Major honour - deluded.

I know Newcastle are known for rewriting history but that's absolutely nonsense ..... the competition wasn't recognised by UEFA, was abandoned and had teams going through on byes and coin tosses.

The team Newcastle beat in the final were knocked together by the army.

Don't get too desperate marra.......I know your supporters would love to see a fraction of the European Football we have experienced.

All tournaments start off a bit Mickey Mouse don't they? Like the FA Cup for example or the Early Football League. UEFA took over the established and highly rated Fairs Cup and made it their's. Unfortunately they have subsequently ruined it.

We qualified by the rules of the tournament, and won it, just like the other winners....Leeds (2), Arsenal, Barcelona (3), Ferencvaros, Valencia and Roma.

snigger.

Don't get too desperate marra.......I know your supporters would love to see a fraction of the European Football we have experienced.

All tournaments start off a bit Mickey Mouse don't they? Like the FA Cup for example or the Early Football League. UEFA took over the established and highly rated Fairs Cup and made it their's. Unfortunately they have subsequently ruined it.

simply
not
true

Desperate. Last competitive major trophy FA Cup 1955. As they say - FACT.

The opposition doesn't matter a damn, The ICF Trophy has the same status as the Isle of Man Cup. Mags like to kid themselves it turned into the UEFA Cup, but of course as that is a major competitive trophy it clearly did not. "You must have had a trade fair" "One club one city" "You must not be good enough for the real European tournaments" Three simple 'qualification' rules. Decent achievement - yes Major honour - deluded.

Like I say, keep it up - eventually you'll convince yourself.

UEFA didn't take over the Fairs Cup at all.

It was scrapped.

You're wrong but there's a game on ...... bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back