Starting 11 v QPR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinoTheAlbino

Goalkeeper
Gus said that he used the Birmingham game to give those that are pushing for starts a chance to show what they can do. Although I've only seen extended highlights, the general consensus on here is that it wasn't really too much until the last 15 minutes or so.

One thing I did notice in the 9 minutes of highlights I watched was how comfortable Vergini was at right back again and how uncomfortable Jones appeared to be at left back. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that it's obviously not his best position.

For me, the players to come out of the tie as contenders for a starting spot would be:

Pantilimon: really great keeper, but Mannone will rightly stay in goal IMO

Gomez and Giaccerini: I have a feeling one of these will be pushing for Larssons spot. Not because he has done anything wrong, more because he has played every minute so far and Gus may want to keep it fresh. Gomez obviously put in a great shift, but giac might be perfect for the role, a more advanced playmaker type with catts and Rodwell backing him up. I think that would work wonders, but is he fit enough yet?

Finally Johnson: obviously only missed one game, but it would be no suprise to see him and Buckley take the wing slots and allow Wickham the chance up top. Not to say Altidore didn't play well, but Connor is more deserving IMO.

Just my opinions

Totally disagree all the fringe players, with the exception possibly of Altidore, who were given their chance at Brum were poor.

No way Bridcutt, Gomez, Pantillimon, or Jones deserve to start on Sat, and dropping Larson one of our better players this season would be just stupid

PS forgot Johnston, again he was poor at Brum so as far as I'm concerned those who started against MU start against QPR unless Gus has a tactical reason to make a change

Totally disagree all the fringe players, with the exception possibly of Altidore, who were given their chance at Brum were poor.

No way Bridcutt, Gomez, Pantillimon, or Jones deserve to start on Sat, and dropping Larson one of our better players this season would be just stupid

PS forgot Johnston, again he was poor at Brum so as far as I'm concerned those who started against MU start against QPR unless Gus has a tactical reason to make a change
Everyone who started the many game should start this one. Except for fletcher because he was worse than useless and should be swapped for johnson or giach

Mannone

Vergini
O'Shea
Brown
PVA

Catts
Larrson
Rodwell

Buckley
Johnson
Wickham
exactly same team I would go for, Fletcher hasnt done as much as Wickham for the tam and Wickham looking more dangerous over the first few games. Johnson to come back in for him and allow Buckley another go :)

exactly same team I would go for, Fletcher hasnt done as much as Wickham for the tam and Wickham looking more dangerous over the first few games. Johnson to come back in for him and allow Buckley another go :)

That's it. Get at them down the flanks with Rodwell making late runs into the box to pick up any lose ball from Wickham. Simple this management malarkey ;)

Mannone

Vergini
O'Shea
Brown
PVA

Catts
Larrson
Rodwell

Buckley
Johnson
Wickham
Don't disagree, in fact the only position where it's worth having a debate is wide left, Johnson hasn't impressed this season and he was poor at Brum

Don't disagree, in fact the only position where it's worth having a debate is wide left, Johnson hasn't impressed this season and he was poor at Brum

Hopefully we address that in the coming days but looking at links (as well as he who I won't name) it's clear Poyet is after someone in that position

That's it. Get at them down the flanks with Rodwell making late runs into the box to pick up any lose ball from Wickham. Simple this management malarkey ;)

we'd all be experts i was this simple :lol:

However QPR are playing a 3-5-2 system and looking dodgy at times and like man utd getting caught around the full backs and CB's which in a team takes time so while they take time we take advantage - thats the plan overall ;)
Its all about keeping the ball well and taking our chances, I do feel Wickham through the middle with Rodwell making late runs as you say and Gomez later on will help

I'm not suggesting they should start, I'm saying these are the selection questions that Poyet must have. I'd be surprised if there was more than one, the most likely is obviously putting Wickham up top and filling the wide berths with Johnson and Buckley.

Hopefully we address that in the coming days but looking at links (as well as he who I won't name) it's clear Poyet is after someone in that position
Hopefully yes but we still have a problem for QPR, we could go as u suggest or with the little Italian instead of Johnson, or continue with Wickham wide left and either Fletcher or Altidore up front

As I said it's the only debate NOT, as suggested by OP, wether Larson should be replaced

Hopefully yes but we still have a problem for QPR, we could go as u suggest or with the little Italian instead of Johnson, or continue with Wickham wide left and either Fletcher or Altidore up front

As I said it's the only debate NOT, as suggested by OP, wether Larson should be replaced

It's more likely to continue as it is than Giacc being thrown in from the start on the weekend. Until he's up to full fitness having the likes of him + Gomez as options to come on and change the game is quite pleasing for a change.

One thing for certain is there's no way the middle 3 should be changed. Essentially it's them 3 that have contributed by far the most so far this season rather than the strikers or back 4 performing well as they have.

I think having the options we have in central midfield, the only two guarantees can be cattermole and Rodwell for me

It's more likely to continue as it is than Giacc being thrown in from the start on the weekend. Until he's up to full fitness having the likes of him + Gomez as options to come on and change the game is quite pleasing for a change.

One thing for certain is there's no way the middle 3 should be changed. Essentially it's them 3 that have contributed by far the most so far this season rather than the strikers or back 4 performing well as they have.
Correct

Mannone

Vergini
O'Shea
Brown
PVA

Catts
Larrson
Rodwell

Buckley
Johnson
Wickham

Think most would agree with this and makes you wonder where this would leave Fletcher. If this works would be happy to see him sold and that elusive LW/CF option brought in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back