Smoking should be banned in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kent_Mackem said:
That all may be true. It doesn't distract fro my main point, which is you would have to be pretty fecking stupid to either start (especially stupid) or continue smoking.

No you wouldn't.

Plenty of very clever people smoke.

This disproves your point.

That all may be true. It doesn't distract fro my main point, which is you would have to be pretty fecking stupid to either start (especially stupid) or continue smoking.

I said that the act of smoking was a stupid passtime already. I don't know what else you want other than to be patronising. Is Will Self stupid? Stephen Fry?

I said that the act of smoking was a stupid passtime already. I don't know what else you want other than to be patronising. Is Will Self stupid? Stephen Fry?

Evidently they are.

BST appears to be disagreeing with you too though.

I don't mean to be patronising, apologies if it has come over that way. I just don't understand how any obviously intelligent person could a) take up smoking and b) continue to do so.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

It's nothing to do with intelligence though is it? Nicotine is a very addictive drug, and if you haven't been under it's influence maybe you don't understand?

You're probably right. However people do quit so it is possible. At the end of the day it is their hand that feed the tab to the mouth, nobody else's.

It's not a case of 'winning a war' as you love to put it ........ do you think drug users are going to come out of their bunkers waving white surrender flags and lay down their bongs :lol:

It's simply a case of retricting things that cause misery and cost the nation a fortune.

It was the government at the time that used the phrase "War on drugs" not my making.

The "Restricting" you talk of isn't going too well, regarding drugs though is it?

It was the government at the time that used the phrase "War on drugs" not my making.

The "Restricting" you talk of isn't going too well, regarding drugs though is it?

Just because people still drink & drink it doesn't mean you should ignore speeding.

Evidently they are.

BST appears to be disagreeing with you too though.

I don't mean to be patronising, apologies if it has come over that way. I just don't understand how any obviously intelligent person could a) take up smoking and b) continue to do so.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

You're probably right. However people do quit so it is possible. At the end of the day it is their hand that feed the tab to the mouth, nobody else's.
Whether you mean it or not it is incredibly patronising to suggest that you're unintelligent if you smoke.

You could argue that you're sensible enough to weigh up the risks and rewards and make an informed choice.

Comments such as you puff away your life with every cigarette are straight from ASH's handbook - sure there are increased risks but do you know what percentage of smokers die from smoking related illnesses? 24% last I heard. High but not as high as the anti-smoking lobby would have you believe.

Whether you mean it or not it is incredibly patronising to suggest that you're unintelligent if you smoke.

You could argue that you're sensible enough to weigh up the risks and rewards and make an informed choice.

Comments such as you puff away your life with every cigarette are straight from ASH's handbook - sure there are increased risks but do you know what percentage of smokers die from smoking related illnesses? 24% last I heard. High but not as high as the anti-smoking lobby would have you believe.

I'm not trying to imply that smokers are not intelligent but a person must be f***ing stupid to smoke. I stated that I don't understand why intelligent people (i.e. by that I mean people who are bright enough to read, listen and understand the risks) still take those risks.

24% (I don't believe this by the way! I shall look up the stats for lung cancer in smokers) would be enough to put me off. It's a fecking horrible way to die. Surely it's not worth the risk of dying from lung cancer, stroke or heart disease just to look cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back