Skoda Octavia ABS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
A month ago, the ABS and Anti-Skid lights came on. It was due a service anyway so I had it serviced and the Skoda garage (Silbury at Cramlington) reported the following on the service sheet :

'Requires offside rear ABS sensor and offside rear ABS wheel sensor'

They assured me that the brakes were fine and quoted £320 to have the sensors replaced. A week later, the red handbrake light came on as I was driving and has stayed flashing on and off ever since! I 'phoned Silbury who said that it was almost certain that the handbrake light was linked to the ABS sensors and it may require a sensor control unit. They could fit me one for £960 including labour!! So at the moment I'm driving around with 3 warning lights displaying on the dash but safe in the knowledge that the brakes are OK.

So here are my questions :

The MOT is due at the end of July. Would it fail the MOT because of the warning lights?

Do you know of any reputable garages within a 20 mile radius of Ashington who would be able to do a diagnostic test on the ABS and confirm or otherwise what Silbury have told me?

Also, do you know of any non Skoda garages who could, if needed, fit sensors and/or a sensor control unit for less than what I've been quoted?

Cheers.

A month ago, the ABS and Anti-Skid lights came on. It was due a service anyway so I had it serviced and the Skoda garage (Silbury at Cramlington) reported the following on the service sheet :

'Requires offside rear ABS sensor and offside rear ABS wheel sensor'

They assured me that the brakes were fine and quoted £320 to have the sensors replaced. A week later, the red handbrake light came on as I was driving and has stayed flashing on and off ever since! I 'phoned Silbury who said that it was almost certain that the handbrake light was linked to the ABS sensors and it may require a sensor control unit. They could fit me one for £960 including labour!! So at the moment I'm driving around with 3 warning lights displaying on the dash but safe in the knowledge that the brakes are OK.

So here are my questions :

The MOT is due at the end of July. Would it fail the MOT because of the warning lights?

Do you know of any reputable garages within a 20 mile radius of Ashington who would be able to do a diagnostic test on the ABS and confirm or otherwise what Silbury have told me?

Also, do you know of any non Skoda garages who could, if needed, fit sensors and/or a sensor control unit for less than what I've been quoted?

Cheers.

are all your brakes working alright.

some of these warning lights are computer generated to come on after a set mileage/period of time.

turn your engine off. fully depress the push button on the dashboard that you use to reset the distance covered. hold it down and turn on the ignition without starting the engine. keep it depressed and the warning lights should reset.

they say there's nowt wrong with the brakes, so i doubt your car can fail MOT because the sensor lights are on. the test is on braking efficiency.

It will fail the MOT test with the light on.
Any garage with a vag com reader will be able to give you a secong opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't think skodas went fast enough to warrant brakes like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back