Should Sunderland fans be envious of Newcastle United’s transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody can answer this until September 1st. If the unlikely event that we sign nobody else and also the unlikely event the mags sign a few top notch players, then of course, I'd be very envious.

Of course everyone will say "no" - but when WE were first linked to Winjaldum, the desperation was embarrassing - "he'll be the best midfielder we've ever had", etc.
Mitrovic and Winjaldum have the potential to be better than anyone we've signed in years - although few will now admit it - and it's time serious questions were asked of our recruitment policy...

I know very little about Mitrovic, but undoubtedly he has potential (20 years of age 13 full caps, etc.)

Winjaldum on the other hand is a known quantity. In my view he is likely to prove to be one of the most effective midfield players in the Premier League in coming seasons. SAFC will come to regret not competing for him and securing his services

The prospective centre-half ? Who knows ?

By comparison, SAFC have signed

• a player who wasn't good enough get into our (very poor) team for much of last season
  • a 29 years old centre half who has played 25 Premier League games in three seasons
  • Wales' second-best right back
  • a very talented forward
On balance, I think that I am envious and that I am justified in being so.

• a player who wasn't good enough get into our (very poor) team for much of last season
  • a 29 years old centre half who has played 25 Premier League games in three seasons

He was good enough imo, he wasn't picked.

They have had more investment so it's a yes from me. They have spent £10 million+ on two players and we haven't done that on one. Anyone staying otherwise is bitter and lying. Sorry but it's the truth.

why are people so worked up over transfer fees? it's all about signing the correct players to fit a system. i read that mitrovic thrives on crosses yet i don't see anyone in their squad capable of putting good deliveries in. their defence is piss poor and so far they are close to signing an unproven defender

yeah i think we should all be envious :rolleyes:

I know very little about Mitrovic, but undoubtedly he has potential (20 years of age 13 full caps, etc.)

Winjaldum on the other hand is a known quantity. In my view he is likely to prove to be one of the most effective midfield players in the Premier League in coming seasons. SAFC will come to regret not competing for him and securing his services

The prospective centre-half ? Who knows ?

looks like you are playing lens down when he is just as much a known quantity as wjnaldum

Last edited:
looks like you are playing lens down when he is just as much a known quantity as wjnaldum

I'm not underestimating Lens in any way. I said he was a "very talented forward". He is just that and I think It is excellent that SAFC has signed him. What more do you want me to say ?

I'm not underestimating Lens in any way. I said he was a "very talented forward". He is just that and I think It is excellent that SAFC has signed him. What more do you want me to say ?

what is there to be envious about then? they have signed quality in wijnaldum and we have done the same in lens

what is there to be envious about then? they have signed quality in wijnaldum and we have done the same in lens

Ah, I see. We can't envy another club for signing a top quality player if we have also signed a very good player. Well fair enough I suppose, but I did kind of want SAFC to bring in more than one quality player But that's just silly old me being greedy. Oh, ...wait a minute ... No, now I think about it, I'm sure Advocaat wanted more than one as well.

Ah, I see. We can't envy another club for signing a top quality player if we have also signed a very good player. Well fair enough I suppose, but I did kind of want SAFC to bring in more than one quality player But that's just silly old me being greedy. Oh, ...wait a minute ... No, now I think about it, I'm sure Advocaat wanted more than one as well.

All depends which one.

we all know that we still need to add more quality to side and we've got a few weeks to do that

Let me get this straight, they've paid about 35 million on 3 players. One is an unknown defender from the Belgian league, the other is a 20 year old with nothing but 'potential' and the other is a proven Dutch international.

Whereas we have spent 15 million on three defenders who all have experience of playing domestically and we've also signed a proven Dutch international, but for half the price.
And somehow we're meant to be envious?

Forgive me, but it sounds like we've done alright in comparison. Plus we might just have some extra cash once we get around to bringing in more quality.

Ashley is doing this for show, he wants to win back some respect, but to me it looks like they're splashing cash for the sake of it at the moment. Not sure they're actually getting much value.

The next month will tell us more about how well us and the mags have done this summer, but it's a bit early to be judging these things. I bet there was a few people jealous of the mags signing Cabella, look how he turned out, massive waste of money so far.

People clearly haven't read the article looking at the responses.

Given that the author questions Mbemba's age (he seemingly has several birth dates), that he might well not be given a work permit and says the Belgian and Dutch leagues are an awful proving ground for knowing what a player will be like in the Premiership.

Quite amazing that most posters on this thread have assumed that the article in the OP was negative to Sunderland .
How can you have an opinion on an article unless you read it.:eek:

Let me get this straight, they've paid about 35 million on 3 players. One is an unknown defender from the Belgian league, the other is a 20 year old with nothing but 'potential' and the other is a proven Dutch international.

Whereas we have spent 15 million on three defenders who all have experience of playing domestically and we've also signed a proven Dutch international, but for half the price.
And somehow we're meant to be envious?

Forgive me, but it sounds like we've done alright in comparison. Plus we might just have some extra cash once we get around to bringing in more quality.

Ashley is doing this for show, he wants to win back some respect, but to me it looks like they're splashing cash for the sake of it at the moment. Not sure they're actually getting much value.

The next month will tell us more about how well us and the mags have done this summer, but it's a bit early to be judging these things. I bet there was a few people jealous of the mags signing Cabella, look how he turned out, massive waste of money so far.

:lol:

Aye, Ashley's just keyed into his altruistic state of mind. Get your head out of your arse you absolute minge. :lol:

Yep. A player's price is always the first sign of a good transfer.

Logon or register to see this image
Didn't say that did I?
What I do know is the teams who invest the most are generally more successful. Stop twisting my words to make yourself look clever.

why are people so worked up over transfer fees? it's all about signing the correct players to fit a system. i read that mitrovic thrives on crosses yet i don't see anyone in their squad capable of putting good deliveries in. their defence is piss poor and so far they are close to signing an unproven defender

yeah i think we should all be envious :rolleyes:

End of the day Newcastle have invested over £30 million and we if sell wickham will have invested nothing.

Didn't say that did I?
What I do know is the teams who invest the most are generally more successful. Stop twisting my words to make yourself look clever.

End of the day Newcastle have invested over £30 million and we if sell wickham will have invested nothing.

Except that since 2007 we've invested over £200 million on players making us the 7th highest spending team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back