Status
Not open for further replies.
Fletcher - lost 12 mil
Johnson - lost 11 mil
Gyan - lost 7 mil
Rodwell - lost 10 mil
Gordon - lost 11 mil
Ferdinand - lost 7 mil

These lads alone have cost us 58 million in lost revenue for the club which tightens all budgets
Well you can wipe Johnson of straight away hardly our fault same with gordan

With all due respect mate English players aren't exactly the top PL club's port of call.

Chelsea and City had 1 English player starting each yesterday, Man United had 2 as did Arsenal.

Do you think any of those clubs will spend £30 million on Pickford, I don't! Spurs are tight bastards at the best of times under Levy when it comes to paying money for talent too, can't see them shelling out £25m/£30m straight up front for a keeper with less than 20 PL appearances and no England caps to his name.
No but top class English goalkeepers are, especially those who are being watched week in week out and have the potential to go right to the very top

Sissoko has 50 odd caps for France, granted he's not worth £30 million but if you think Pickford with under 20 PL appearances to his name will go for £30 million you're crackers.

Hugo Lloris wouldn't even command £30 million.

On the other hand English players seem to go for a premium .......................e.g. City paying 47.5m for Stones

What would be the craic if a big offer came in for a player and the club want to sell but the player didnt want to leave?

Fletcher - lost 12 mil
Johnson - lost 11 mil
Gyan - lost 7 mil
Rodwell - lost 10 mil
Gordon - lost 11 mil
Ferdinand - lost 7 mil

These lads alone have cost us 58 million in lost revenue for the club which tightens all budgets
Could add Ricky Alvarez to that list.

He has backed the club for as long as he's been here, hence the 140m debt. Consistently backed managers and no or very little return on it. That can't carry on every year. I hope we keep Pickford till the summer, but if 30m bids start coming in, then money needs generating from somewhere and I could reluctantly understand why we would need to sell. Thing is on here, many think we should be just spending 30-40m every season, even though we get very little return on players. That is why we're in debt.
The problem is we needed/still need 4/5 good players . They don't have enough to cost the earth as long as they're good enough for our or any other first xi outside top 6. We also need to get away from loaning 3+ of our first xi each season. All this is down to Short not quite putting enough forward in anyone season.

I think he's lost interest to be honest. He's thrown away tens if not hundreds of millions that otherwise could have go to making sure that every generation of his family for the next 200 years had a nice life with the best money could buy and in return he's received abuse and watched as managers and directors waste every penny on what HAS to be at this point the worst player recruitment record in the world.

Its a shame because it looks like he might finally be getting things right, or at least better. He got the manager he wants in Moyes and while it's early there are signs he could get the backing of the fans and possibly stave off the drop another year when it looked absolutely nailed on six weeks ago. In Martin Bain hes got in a CEO that at least is "a football guy" rather than a opportunistic ambulance chaser from north london who somehow blagged the job. He's got Simon Wilson in which looks like an effort to overhaul the scouting/recruitment and academy/youth team development. Director of football 'light' if you like and since he's worked with Moyes before at preston it looks very much like its happened with the backing or even advice of the manager rather than just being imposed.

We dont know if it will work obviously but certainly it looks like Ellis has finally found the right shaped blocks for the right shaped holes so hopefully it will convince him to engage with the club at least until another buyer comes actually looking for it rather than having to be convinced there's some cash to be extracted.

The problem is we needed/still need 4/5 good players . They don't have enough to cost the earth as long as they're good enough for our or any other first xi outside top 6. We also need to get away from loaning 3+ of our first xi each season. All this is down to Short not quite putting enough forward in anyone season.
We spend 30m every year man, that should have us competitive. That should have brought in about 8-10 first team players the last 4 or 5 years and gradually improve us. Some then you sell on for a profit and build again, others are the backbone of your side. The fact its been wasted, wasn't shorts decision and I'd safely say watching money wasted every year, isn't part of his plan.

Well you can wipe Johnson of straight away hardly our fault same with gordan
Regardless of fault and or blame, it's 20m+ down the swanny, which I think is his point.

Last edited:
Fletcher - lost 12 mil
Johnson - lost 11 mil
Gyan - lost 7 mil
Rodwell - lost 10 mil
Gordon - lost 11 mil
Ferdinand - lost 7 mil

Don't think we lost any money on Gyan to be fair, you could add the likes of Graham, Scocco, Alvarez etc to make up the difference though

We spend 30m every year man, that should have us competitive. That should have brought in about 8-10 first team players the last 4 or 5 years and gradually improve us. Some then you sell on for a profit and build again, others are the backbone of your side. The fact its been wasted, wasn't shorts decision and I'd safely say watching money wasted every year, isn't part of his plan.

Regardless of fault and or blame, it's 20m+ down the swanny, which I think is his point.
Apart from the fact we've needed 8 or 9 players every year so the 30m you reckon we've spent is buttons. We've never got into the position where we only need 2 to 4 players through spending millions on nothing more than squad players (bar last January ) Also net spend is 10 to 12m as we've sold our best players year on year don't let 3 wins out of 4 make you forget that

He has backed the club for as long as he's been here, hence the 140m debt. Consistently backed managers and no or very little return on it. That can't carry on every year. I hope we keep Pickford till the summer, but if 30m bids start coming in, then money needs generating from somewhere and I could reluctantly understand why we would need to sell. Thing is on here, many think we should be just spending 30-40m every season, even though we get very little return on players. That is why we're in debt.
If he's backed the club with a 140 million, why does the club have the 140 million debt?

Apart from the fact we've needed 8 or 9 players every year so the 30m you reckon we've spent is buttons. We've never got into the position where we only need 2 to 4 players through spending millions on nothing more than squad players (bar last January ) Also net spend is 10 to 12m as we've sold our best players year on year don't let 3 wins out of 4 make you forget that
This has come from years of poor buying and selling and left us chasing our tails. We can't get deeper in debt, then expect short to make 50m available because we need yet more players.

Because there's next to no return from the players. Buying high, selling low, over a few years is why we're in debt
Right but my point is we say he's backed us with a 140 million but that 140 million is actually the clubs debt, he hasn't backed us with it, he's took loans out against the club.

We are in debt because we don't know how to sell players. No way do we let Pickers go, slap a 40 million price tag on his head and see if the Spuds or Mancs want a bit of that action. Do we need to spend massive amounts of coin on players? I don't think so. We are in debt because we spend 10, 11 and 12 million on lads only to get back 1 or 2 if any! do that 10 to 15 times and you will see where the debt has come from.

Perhaps instead of splashing the coin on overpriced over hyped shite we need to work with what we have and look at getting some young quality and developing it.
If there is anyone who thinks that SAFC should be buying players as 'investments', because they will become appreciating assets, who can subsequently be sold at a profit, would you be interested in buying some magic beans that I have for sale ?

Since freedom of contract at the end of the contract period came into effect, players are, in the main, depreciating liabilities, because the club do not own the asset. If we buy a player for £10m on a four years contract, the realistic expectation should be that he will have no cash value to SAFC at the end of that contract. The player's 'worth' must be measured on what he delivers on the pitch. There will be notable exceptions, but even in such instances, the cost of selling one of the club's better players, is likely to be seen in the overall performance of the team and that 'cost' could be far greater than any profit made on the transfer fees.

As a hypothetical example, let us assume that Kone had been sold to Everton during the summer for £20m, which would have represented a £15m profit. Let us further assume that the manager had identified Kone's replacement in the squad as being a young Manchester United centre-half, who is a full international and available for £5m. So that would be a net £10m of profit in the bank and the same number of centre-halves in the squad. Notwithstanding Kone's poor form this season, would anyone really see £10m + McNair as being a bargain ?

Players should be bought because of what they can contribute to the team on the playing field, not to the business on the balance sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back