Seeing a band before they hit the big time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Same here. Had never heard of them bunped into couple lads who were there just for them rather than Supergrass.
They were decent enough (enough to make me buy the album) and thought they'd make a living but didn't think they'd get the acclaim they did.

I went to that gig mainly because of the support. Was also at that last minute gig they did at Northumbria a year or so later. Would never have thought they'd end up headlining festivals.

Seen Arctic Monkeys on that same tour as Manor Quay. They were already pretty massive iirc, just that tour had been announced way before the major hype had kicked in.

NME tour with Killers, Futureheads, Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs. The Futureheads aside, the others got pretty big at a certain point.

One of me old marras hit it big singing in Hurts, so seen loads of their early gigs on the Manchester circuit.

Lily Allen gave me a mixtape which 47/50 and had LDN, Alfie and Everythings Just Wonderful on before she got a deal. Still got it.

Happy Mondays supporting New Order at The Hacienda in 85 I think, utter bollocks

Did The Smiths support New Order at anytime,think it was either them or James at a different gig, they were shit too. Never watched most support acts tbh

seen the levellers supporting new model army a canny few times. even though they had a fair bit of success they don't even come close to nma (imo)

Stiff Little Fingers supporting Tom Robinson Band.

Sure I saw Prefab Sprout at Washington Arts Centre, 1981 ish.

I was in a band and we got a date for our first ever gig in Hero's in October 1981. Jenky asked why we didn't go and get a gig at Le Metro, so we ran round there from Hero's. There was a framed pin board on the side of the entrance door with a piece of paper pinned to it with 'appearing tonight - Prefab Sprout' written on with a Biro. We go in, talk to the manager, and get a date to play the week after our Hero's gig. We stick around to see what kind of band would have such a shite name and Mickey Mouse poster as we already had posters, logos, backdrops, intro tapes etc. ready. There was a studenty looking bloke playing guitar with penny glasses and a music stand, a bass player and a drummer. There were about five people in the joint. When we played a couple of weeks later we packed the joint out. Couldn't believe they 'made it' as a band with zero charisma or presence, and we didn't. Not jealous like. Honest!:D

Seen Kasabian, Bloc Party, Editors and Snow Patrol for less than £3 a piece.
Shocking luck, that.

Happy Mondays supporting New Order at The Hacienda in 85 I think, utter bollocks

Did The Smiths support New Order at anytime,think it was either them or James at a different gig, they were shit too. Never watched most support acts tbh
The Smiths supported New Order at a few gigs.

I jumped onstage at a Shamen gig and then passed out. They left me there, the pricks.

I was in a band and we got a date for our first ever gig in Hero's in October 1981. Jenky asked why we didn't go and get a gig at Le Metro, so we ran round there from Hero's. There was a framed pin board on the side of the entrance door with a piece of paper pinned to it with 'appearing tonight - Prefab Sprout' written on with a Biro. We go in, talk to the manager, and get a date to play the week after our Hero's gig. We stick around to see what kind of band would have such a shite name and Mickey Mouse poster as we already had posters, logos, backdrops, intro tapes etc. ready. There was a studenty looking bloke playing guitar with penny glasses and a music stand, a bass player and a drummer. There were about five people in the joint. When we played a couple of weeks later we packed the joint out. Couldn't believe they 'made it' as a band with zero charisma or presence, and we didn't. Not jealous like. Honest!:D
They stole my amp.

Last edited:
Right ok this may not have happened but when I was about 16 I saw a band in the Seaburn driving range next to the cementry on Dykeland Road. I actually met someone at the beginning of that night that would be with me for 9 years so my attention was elsewhere. This band was on their first tour and had loads of equipment but my raging hormones had my attention completely focussed on the object of my desires. Someone told me later I had seen the then unknown Pink Floyd. Can anyone verify this- that Pink Floyd played Seaburn Driving Range? Seriously?

My aunties Husband has a ticket stub for Feeder being supported by Muse at The Riverside in Scumcastle.

For me I saw Editors supporting Franz Ferdinand and Fun supporting Paramore.

Jake Bugg at a festival at Hoults Yard in Byker that i cannot remember the name of - hadn't released anything at that point but i had heard him do a session with Steve Lamacq on 6music so went along.

The XX at The Cluny

Jamie T in an upstairs bar at Newcastle University that i cant remember the name of. Was very small (200ish) with a stage in the corner, anyone remember the name? also seen The Wombats, who I suppose made it quite big, supporting The Holloways in the same venue.

Florence & The Machine at Hop Farm - it was the day her debut album came out so i suppose she must have been relatively known but I'd never heard of her and though she was decent.

Anyone ever done it, say Oasis in the early 90's?

Where, when etc etc, did you think you had seen something special at the time?
Saw The Police at The Mayfair a few months before they hit it big. Supported by The Cramps amongst others Iirc.

Oasis, Middlesborough Arena 1994, played with a band called Whiteout iirc.

It's not an Arena btw :lol:

Also saw them a little while later at a gig on big fuck off Circus tent near Glasgow on a beach. Probably the best gig I've ever been to.....mental.

Stiff Little Fingers supporting Tom Robinson Band.

Sure I saw Prefab Sprout at Washington Arts Centre, 1981 ish.

Saw SLF on the same tour at Leiccester De Montford Hall. Brilliant night and best support I ever saw. Saw them headline a year or two later and they had a punk mental following who just dived over everyone.

Free at the Bay hotel
Sex pistols at the marquee club
Joe Strummer at the New windsor castle
Ian Dury at the roundhouse
queen at the the pheasantry
ACDC at the marquee club
Dr Feelgood, Eddie and the hotrods at various pubs, lots more but I can't be arsed to type them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back