Sam Byram Sunderland bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

We won't have limitless funds mate and there is ffp to spend

English players cost so much like
I never said limitless. I'm not naive to think we will be spending £50mil as some papers reported a few weeks ago but we have double the amount of tv money as last season plus i imagine we will be trying to offload some of the bigger wage earners i.e fletcher. The fact is the club have to spend because eventually we will go down if we carry on the way we have the last couple of seasons.

We can't start the season with Jones, we'll be without a RB for about 20 games. But I hope we don't spend much of the budget on that RB.
My point is im glad we are going for a young highly rated player rather than a ageing foreigner. Rather we spend £6mil on byram than say renew reveillere's contract.

I never said limitless. I'm not naive to think we will be spending £50mil as some papers reported a few weeks ago but we have double the amount of tv money as last season plus i imagine we will be trying to offload some of the bigger wage earners i.e fletcher. The fact is the club have to spend because eventually we will go down if we carry on the way we have the last couple of seasons.

My point is im glad we are going for a young highly rated player rather than a ageing foreigner. Rather we spend £6mil on byram than say renew reveillere's contract.

There's s happy medium

Not complaining by the way before the usual a jump on my back

But we have overspent on players for years, I bet you could get a quality right back abroad for 6-7million.

I'm not particularly interested hoe young and English players are just whether they are good

Rodwell was a good profile signing, age, English etc but has been poor

This lad might be class and I'll take it all back if he is. But I hope we are just not signing potential

There's s happy medium

Not complaining by the way before the usual a jump on my back

But we have overspent on players for years, I bet you could get a quality right back abroad for 6-7million.

I'm not particularly interested hoe young and English players are just whether they are good

Rodwell was a good profile signing, age, English etc but has been poor

This lad might be class and I'll take it all back if he is. But I hope we are just not signing potential
In my opinion if you spend £6-7mil even £10mil on a english player, you are more likely to get what you think you're buying (if you understand what i mean). Buying abroad is a bigger gamble than buying english talent. Giac is a perfect example, paid £6-7mil for him from juventus. He hasn't made a great impact at all.

Plus on a separate note, is the championship a big of a step up to the prem as it once was? Plenty of teams getting promoted and not getting relegated. Some of the better sides in the league was all championship players and they had no problems with the step up i.e swansea and Southampton.

Last edited:
In my opinion if you spend £6-7mil even £10mil on a english player, you are more likely to get what you think you're buying (if you understand what i mean). Buying abroad is a bigger gamble than buying english talent. Giac is a perfect example, paid £6-7mil for him from juventus. He hasn't made a great impact at all.

Plus on a separate note, is the championship a big of a step up to the prem as it once was? Plenty of teams getting promoted and not getting relegated. Some of the better sides in the league was all championship players and they had no problems with the step up i.e swansea and Southampton.

The wickham and Rodwell signings don't fit into that though, cost loads because they were young and English with promise rather than their actual ability

The wickham and Rodwell signings don't fit into that though, cost loads because they were young and English with promise rather than their actual ability
To be fair to both players, wickham had his first full year as a regular this season and was played out of position for the majority of it and rodwell has gone from not playing for two years to now in the thick of it. I think we will see better from both next season.
Also if your comparing them two signings to byram then im sure you will agree its alot harder for a young striker to make a impact than it is a right back and rodwell just simply hasn't played enough football in the last 3 years. Rodwell hasn't impressed me much at all but im not going to crucify him.

To be fair to both players, wickham had his first full year as a regular this season and was played out of position for the majority of it and rodwell has gone from not playing for two years to now in the thick of it. I think we will see better from both next season.
Also if your comparing them two signings to byram then im sure you will agree its alot harder for a young striker to make a impact than it is a right back and rodwell just simply hasn't played enough football in the last 3 years. Rodwell hasn't impressed me much at all but im not going to crucify him.

I haven't crucified either mate, just they weren't worth the 18 million were they, they might improve and I am not righting them off

My point is that with the right scouting, the quality you can get abroad for that type of money is so much more, as the likes of Soton have proved.

Just because of the failures of Giacherini and Altidore, doesn't mean it isnt the way to go

I am hoping Big Dick can help get us better value for money, because thats been the problem, not us spending loads of money, its obviously just signing the right players.

I haven't crucified either mate, just they weren't worth the 18 million were they, they might improve and I am not righting them off

My point is that with the right scouting, the quality you can get abroad for that type of money is so much more, as the likes of Soton have proved.

Just because of the failures of Giacherini and Altidore, doesn't mean it isnt the way to go

I am hoping Big Dick can help get us better value for money, because thats been the problem, not us spending loads of money, its obviously just signing the right players.

Go ahead and crucify Rodwell.
His technique is shocking....yes he has scored some important goals but his ball control and passing range are terrible.
For me Gardner was probably better and thats saying something.

10 million pound, i despair the modern game...

Go ahead and crucify Rodwell.
His technique is shocking....yes he has scored some important goals but his ball control and passing range are terrible.
For me Gardner was probably better and thats saying something.

10 million pound, i despair the modern game...

Gardner is without a doubt better than what we have seen from Rodwell, no question about it.

I didn't say you have crucified them. Wickham has been worth the money as he kept us up the other season. God knows where this club would be now.
I agree with the right scouting you can find cheaper players who are quality but let's be honest you could scout them for years but you won't know if they are good enough until they play in the prem. which goes back to my point earlier, it's a bigger gamble buying foreign than english. Look at how well players we have bought that are foreign in recent years.
Da silva, vergini, alvarez, giac, riveros, mavrais, roberge, cabral. All of them haven't improved us.
In the position we are in we can't afford to take too many gambles so buying english is a safer bet as they will know english football and adapt easier than a foreigner.

Gardner is without a doubt better than what we have seen from Rodwell, no question about it.

I have grave doubts that Rodwell will get any better than what weve seen at his fittest,honest i think weve been mugged.

I hope i am wrong.

above post is right like, however good or bad Wickham is , and even if we take a hit when we sell him, those goals just at the tail end of last season paid his cost at least.

I didn't say you have crucified them. Wickham has been worth the money as he kept us up the other season. God knows where this club would be now.
I agree with the right scouting you can find cheaper players who are quality but let's be honest you could scout them for years but you won't know if they are good enough until they play in the prem. which goes back to my point earlier, it's a bigger gamble buying foreign than english. Look at how well players we have bought that are foreign in recent years.
Da silva, vergini, alvarez, giac, riveros, mavrais, roberge, cabral. All of them haven't improved us.
In the position we are in we can't afford to take too many gambles so buying english is a safer bet as they will know english football and adapt easier than a foreigner.

You are right to an extent, and by the way I like Wickham, think he worked very hard when he was left wing

But its a bit simplistic to say he was worth the money because of those goals, he had already been here a few years, and in theory we could of spent the money on someone else who would of scored goals regularly throughout that time.

It all depends where we play him = not that much pace a la henderson

Don't compare him to Henderson.
The young Henderson who was here had far more nouse than Rodwell has shown.

That miss against Stoke was laughable,Fletcher bailed him out.

You are right to an extent, and by the way I like Wickham, think he worked very hard when he was left wing

But its a bit simplistic to say he was worth the money because of those goals, he had already been here a few years, and in theory we could of spent the money on someone else who would of scored goals regularly throughout that time.
Football is simplistic. If you pay big money for a striker you expect them to score goals and he did. In every transfer a club has made that hasn't gone right would say the money could of been spent on someone else but thats football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back