Ross Barkley and english players

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverBlue86

Midfield
Hi lads, sorry I know this isn't Sunderland related but with Barkley signing a new deal it got me realising just whats wrong with English players, look at his comments:

"This contract means everything for me. It is my dream to play for Everton. I didn't think about other clubs, this is the club I love and I see it as home. We’ve got to push on now and one of the objectives is the Champions League."

“I realise the importance of signing because I remember how I felt when Wayne left. He was one of the best players in the team and we thought we could push on with him at Everton. When he left we were all down as Evertonians. I just wanted to sign and hopefully we can push Everton on together."

"I've a long way to go to be an Everton legend. Hopefully one day I will be."

Being an evertonian who has seen many greats I admit I got emotional, the lad is "one of us" and has his head firmly screwed on and wouldn't surprise me if he becomes our gerrard and ends his career here in which gerrard has actually told Ross to do (although im not naïve enough to believe that's the most likely of outcomes in modern day football) My issue is how good would the England national team be if all the other lads were mentally like Ross? Rooney for example is a money grabbing judas who only cares for number one, Ashley cole was the same as are the likes of Luke Shaw, Ravel Morrison, Sterling etc. all on either big wages or letting their ego's affect their careers, then you have the likes of rodwell, Sinclair etc. sat on the bench of the money clubs earning big money but not developing as players. The problem with our national team is we have too many individuals and ego's and its something that has been a problem for many years now, and its starting to trickle down to the younger lads which IMO is a big reason why we have such a lack of young talent coming through. Seeing Ross's comments today made me fall a little bit more in love with the game and if Hodgson had any sense he should hold this lad up as an example for the next so called captain, not that bellend Rooney who no doubt will be angling for more money when RVP becomes the main man at Utd again this season!

I liked reading his comments, I have to say...but let's be real, the lad will have been offered decent dollar to stay with Everton and so far as I can tell he hasn't had the chance to leave you yet? If he had been making these comments after turning town a top club then id hold my hands up and say fair play.

I don't necessarily agree with your point about Rooney either, and I think you come across as bitter in your comments. I can accept Jack Colback moving to NUFC, or Darren Bent moving to Villa for the extra Wonga...I don't think it's the work of the devil. It's just part of life that people look after themselves and it doesn't mean they don't reminisce about where they leave.

It seems to me that Barkley has touched your emotion today and you're comparing it to Rooney and expecting us to give a fuck, to be honest. Where as in reality from the outside it is quite clear Barkley will do you over in a season or two, just like Suarez did Liverpool.

It's great news for English Football tbh, no wonder the national team is going nowhere when most of the up and coming talent is just sat on the bench at one of the 'big' clubs. Most players just go for the money now, nothing else seems to really matter.

People who have chastised the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and Rooney in recent times, will be begging for the like of such quality players to be pulling on the England shirt, when consistently fail to qualify for major tournaments in the coming years.

Hi lads, sorry I know this isn't Sunderland related but with Barkley signing a new deal it got me realising just whats wrong with English players, look at his comments:

"This contract means everything for me. It is my dream to play for Everton. I didn't think about other clubs, this is the club I love and I see it as home. We’ve got to push on now and one of the objectives is the Champions League."

“I realise the importance of signing because I remember how I felt when Wayne left. He was one of the best players in the team and we thought we could push on with him at Everton. When he left we were all down as Evertonians. I just wanted to sign and hopefully we can push Everton on together."

"I've a long way to go to be an Everton legend. Hopefully one day I will be."

Being an evertonian who has seen many greats I admit I got emotional, the lad is "one of us" and has his head firmly screwed on and wouldn't surprise me if he becomes our gerrard and ends his career here in which gerrard has actually told Ross to do (although im not naïve enough to believe that's the most likely of outcomes in modern day football) My issue is how good would the England national team be if all the other lads were mentally like Ross? Rooney for example is a money grabbing judas who only cares for number one, Ashley cole was the same as are the likes of Luke Shaw, Ravel Morrison, Sterling etc. all on either big wages or letting their ego's affect their careers, then you have the likes of rodwell, Sinclair etc. sat on the bench of the money clubs earning big money but not developing as players. The problem with our national team is we have too many individuals and ego's and its something that has been a problem for many years now, and its starting to trickle down to the younger lads which IMO is a big reason why we have such a lack of young talent coming through. Seeing Ross's comments today made me fall a little bit more in love with the game and if Hodgson had any sense he should hold this lad up as an example for the next so called captain, not that bellend Rooney who no doubt will be angling for more money when RVP becomes the main man at Utd again this season!
fine words/sentiments etc but lets wait and see
Everton have been a selling club for a while, harsh as that sounds and unless a 'sugar daddy' buys you that wont change.
he looks a great player, but as he gets a bit older, has a family etc, football will take second place in his priorities.
if some club offers 'bale' type money and Ronaldo like wages he'll be gone....and who could deny him or feel any resentment?
enjoy him while you can

I'm being cynical i know but doesn't it just sound like RB is as thick as mince and cannot see past goodison park ?

I'm being cynical i know but doesn't it just sound like RB is as thick as mince and cannot see past goodison park ?
he's still a bairn in a man's body. We should expect little else

Everton have been a selling club for a while, harsh as that sounds and unless a 'sugar daddy' buys you that wont change.
he looks a great player, but as he gets a bit older, has a family etc, football will take second place in his priorities.
if some club offers 'bale' type money and Ronaldo like wages he'll be gone....and who could deny him or feel any resentment?
enjoy him while you can

Funny thing is a lot of clubs sell more than us, in 10 years we have only sold Rooney, lescott arteta and felliani, liverpool for example have sold (suarez, torres, alonso, masherano, meireles etc. In that same time frame and spurs Van der varrt, modric ,Keane, bale and berbatov.

My point was the England youth isn't blessed with the talent of say germany so imo we need to look at doing what nations like Costa Rica are doing and bringing through a generation of down to earth lads who play as a team unit with no ego's. Sadly of all the young England players Ross is the only one who comes across as your average fan, the rest- Wilshire, Morrison,, rodwell, sterling, Sinclair, Zaha etc. all either seem to have baggage/egos or are happy to sit on massive wages and not develop as players. Sterling tbf has improved this year but is meant to be a right bellend outside of footie

Footballers can't win, if he said he wants 150 k a week like Shaw and wants a move to city people would moan mate, that's my point aswell for me barkleys comments should be music to the ears of fans of proper clubs like Everton and Sunderland with proper fans, fans from clubs like Utd and Chelsea haven't a clue what that means when a local lad from the academy comes out and says those things especially in modern football!

Last edited:
Funny thing is a lot of clubs sell more than us, in 10 years we have only sold Rooney, lescott arteta and felliani, liverpool for example have sold (suarez, torres, alonso, masherano, meireles etc. In that same time frame and spurs Van der varrt, modric ,Keane, bale and berbatov.

My point was the England youth isn't blessed with the talent of say germany so imo we need to look at doing what nations like Costa Rica are doing and bringing through a generation of down to earth lads who play as a team unit with no ego's. Sadly of all the young England players Ross is the only one who comes across as your average fan, the rest- Wilshire, Morrison,, rodwell, sterling, Sinclair, Zaha etc. all either seem to have baggage/egos or are happy to sit on massive wages and not develop as players. Sterling tbf has improved this year but is meant to be a right bellend outside of footie

Footballers can't win, if he said he wants 150 k a week like Shaw and wants a move to city people would moan mate, that's my point aswell for me barkleys comments should be music to the ears of fans of proper clubs like Everton and Sunderland with proper fans, fans from clubs like Utd and Chelsea haven't a clue what that means when a local lad from the academy comes out and says those things especially in modern football!
the players you sold went for big money (not arteta) but were the only ones in demand.. a credit to Everton but
the truth.
the sales enabled you to survive ( especially Rooney ).
I'm not bagging Everton ( quite like the team ) , i just refuse to buy into shirt kissing and other faux tribalism is all

It's a fine balance. Luke Shaw, for instance, had the opportunity to join Man Utd. Had he said no that opportunity may never have been offered again.
It must be great to hear such comforting talk from a player with the huge potential he obviously has however this time next season, should he perform well and stay injury free, if Man Utd / Chelsea / City come calling i doubt he will feel the same way.
Let's be honest what would we all do???

True enough Chester.

The last time Poyet reacted to not having signed anyone, we got some one in that day. Let's hope the same thing happens today, because I'm pretty sure words would have been exchanged last night after the match.

It would have been suicidal playing JOS and WB twice in 48 hrs.

Rodwell and van Dijk would be nice today! Poyet was expecting 3 by last weekend after all.

Good Morning.

Think he's made the right decision for this moment in time, getting first team football in a good premier team under a manager who should help in his development but if he keeps progressing and this time next season the top 4 want him then I wouldn't be surprised if he left saying the next club he's at are great. every week we had Bent saying how much he loved Sunderland yet he was away at the first opportunity.

True enough Chester.

The last time Poyet reacted to not having signed anyone, we got some one in that day. Let's hope the same thing happens today, because I'm pretty sure words would have been exchanged last night after the match.

It would have been suicidal playing JOS and WB twice in 48 hrs.

Rodwell and van Dijk would be nice today! Poyet was expecting 3 by last weekend after all.

Good Morning.
Buenos dios

enjoy him while you can
No more than say Arsenal IMO every club is a selling club if a mind blowing offer comes in

doubt he's get a start at everton these days
Barry and McCarthy are first names on the sheet re cm's.
rb can play anywhere in mf.
...and me being hopeful
And they've just signed Besic and Gibson is back no way they'll be in for Rodwell

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back