RIP Ryuichi Sakamoto

Was he big in Japan?

Never heard of the heard of the bloke to be honest but merry Christmas mr Lawrence was ripped for one of my favourite dance tracks, heart of Asia by watergate

I’m presuming from the videos he created merry Xmas…

Was he big in Japan?

Never heard of the heard of the bloke to be honest but merry Christmas mr Lawrence was ripped for one of my favourite dance tracks, heart of Asia by watergate

Have a listen to some of Yellow Magic Orchestra stuff like Tong Poo, Computer Games and you’ll recognise Behind The Mask

Rain from Last Emperor is fab too

Just revisited his 1986 album, Ongaku Zukan. I had it on cassette - almost wore it out. This track featured Thomas Dolby.

Was he big in Japan?

Massive there. Probably their most influential musician: electronic music, pop, jazz, classical, film soundtracks. Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence was one of his many soundtracks. He also released a vocal version with David Sylvian, Forbidden Colours - see post on the first page.

There were stories about him having cancer.

Can’t remember what it was but I had a conversation about him on here not long ago and it was likely with @mini-x2

Maybe it was about yellow magic orchestra. Really enjoyed a lot of what he did. He was part of essentially a band that was making music nearly as groundbreaking as Kraftwerk.

He was class. 😎

Can’t remember what it was but I had a conversation about him on here not long ago and it was likely with @mini-x2

Maybe it was about yellow magic orchestra. Really enjoyed a lot of what he did. He was part of essentially a band that was making music nearly as groundbreaking as Kraftwerk.

He was class. 😎

I’m probably in the minority but I preferred YMO than Kratfwerk

Before he died, Sakamoto did one last concert: just him and the piano in a studio. The resulting documentary is released this week. Ryuichi Sakamoto | Opus

It ends with Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

He was composing music for a film before he passed. Although he couldn't finish the whole score he was able to complete four pieces of music which the director ended up using as the soundtrack for the film

He was composing music for a film before he passed. Although he couldn't finish the whole score he was able to complete four pieces of music which the director ended up using as the soundtrack for the film

I've been meaning to see it. The same director made Still Walking - one of those films I keep thinking about months after watching it.

Back