Recruitment Policy...who really is responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mackem60

Full Back
gus has been openly talking about the club's recruitment policy and he is adamant that it is down to Congerton to bring in new players.

Does this actually mean that Congerton is responsible for recruitment following discussions with Gus or is he solely responsible without Gus' invovolvement. Gus seems to be implying that it is the latter. If this is the case, it is alarming as Gus needs to satisfied that any new player either bought or taken on loan must fit into his envisaged system.

Is it merely the case of Gus covering his back in case if new signings are not successful? I cannot believe that Gus has no input as to potential targets, as he often refers to meetings he has had or will be having with Congers to discuss transfers. Also, he must have identified both Bridcutt and Buckley as players he wanted, which seems to contradict what he is i playing lately in the press.

It all seems a bit confusing to me!

gus has been openly talking about the club's recruitment policy and he is adamant that it is down to Congerton to bring in new players.

Does this actually mean that Congerton is responsible for recruitment following discussions with Gus or is he solely responsible without Gus' invovolvement. Gus seems to be implying that it is the latter. If this is the case, it is alarming as Gus needs to satisfied that any new player either bought or taken on loan must fit into his envisaged system.

Is it merely the case of Gus covering his back in case if new signings are not successful? I cannot believe that Gus has no input as to potential targets, as he often refers to meetings he has had or will be having with Congers to discuss transfers. Also, he must have identified both Bridcutt and Buckley as players he wanted, which seems to contradict what he is i playing lately in the press.

Congerton interview from the Sunderland Echo during the summer is pretty clear.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...can-make-a-difference-at-sunderland-1-6682280

Considering we signed Bridcutt and then Buckley in the last 2 windows, I'd say Gus has a pretty big say. hes shirking responsibility here IMO which is never nice to see. No doubt some will queue up to pop at Ellis, Byrne and Congers on the back of it though.

No one knows mate.

It's like one of those card games where you have to guess which one of the three is the ace..sleight of hand makes it impossible. In our case to exactly place the blame where it belongs. Everyone is innocent

Thanks for this. Congerton clearly states that the coach/manager is involved in the recruitment process. So does this mean that Gus is talking a load of bollocks?
Don't think so. Gus is being told to choose between a VW or Toyota. He'd like to choose between a Mercedes or Jaguar.

Of course Gus is involved. You only have to look at who has been brought in to the club player wise to see that. However as we all know Gus likes to get his way, and he's gotten his way with Short and Brighton by shooting his mouth off in the press, it works for him so he's gonna keep doing it. This time round I don't think he's really criticising anyone, he's trying to get the budget he feels is needed to improve the team. Short term we need a striker and/or a better creative attacking midfielder, a decent pacy one of each role is gonna be an easy £10M, especially in January. On top of that we need a LW who can play the "Borini" role where they get up and down the wing defending and attacking creating chances and space again not cheap. Ideally we could do with another full back to help cover injuries and suspensions. If Vergini gets sent off, we'd be left with Rev as our only available full back. A decent young CB to replace the aging JOS and Wes is also needed, again to add to the defence we'd need to look at spending £10M for both positions. Potentially we could spend £30M on just 3 or 4 players to get us to a decent mid-table level. That won't happen, but Gus has gotta try and get as much of that as soon as possible.

“Gus’s job is to improve the players, which he is fantastic at, and it’s my job to help get recruitment right.

“That’s an important area, an area we’ve got to get right.

“We’re signing players for a lot of money and a lot of wages and what we’re trying to do is minimise the risk.

“We will never bring a player to the club that the coach or manager doesn’t want though.

“Gus is involved in the process and we speak on a daily basis.

“He’s passionate and loves to be involved and I’m delighted to be involved because two heads are better than one.

“We’ve gone through the lists of targets and we are working to try to bring those players to the club when we speak.”

So Congerton and Gus both effectively have a veto on who goes onto the list. You'd imagine Gus would usually veto on lack of quality and Congerton on lack of value for money/sheer expense.

But once a target is identified it's Congerton's job to get him and then Gus' to get the most out of him once he arrives.

The way I see it is that Congerton discusses budet & signing's with poyet, Poyet then gets on with coaching the team, Congerton gets on with finding the players for the right price...it's not that hard to understand really

The buck stops with Congerton. His role at the club - what he gets paid for - is player recruitment.

People point to the likes of Buckley, Bridcutt as "Poyet" signings and he will have recommended them, but for all we know he has made ten suggestions and only a handful have been pursued by Congerton. There's also the fact that it was their first January/summer window and a lot of plans would have been shelved until we knew which League we were in - it stands to reason that they would look to flesh the squad out with cheap players that they already knew about at that stage. Going forward, and now that he's had a chance to put his scouting structure in place etc, responsibility for transfers rests squarely with Congerton.

Is it a coincidence that we got Buckley and Bridcutt for what would be considered by anyone sensible as well within the budget? Not exactly evidence that Poyet has proper final say, just that it was a happy coincidence that he wanted them and we could afford them.

The constricting factor on all of this is the amount of money available to spend imho. Poyet wants two lads at 15 million each, say, Congerton presents him with four similar but lesser quality options at around 5-6 million each because that's how much we've got. He then picks two or gets nothing.

You can blame Short, but for what exactly? Being a bit less forthcoming with funds after previous regimes have pissed nigh on a quarter of a billion quid up the wall to finish exactly where we were in our first season up? Would you keep piling the money in or would you look for a cleverer way of doing business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back