Random away matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watford away 1992, got beat 1-0. Sunderland lad scored for them, Gary Porter (?) penalty iirc.

Aye, Gary Porter, went to the same school as me but a few years older.

He was a Watford stalwart who must have been there the majority if not all of his career.

Watford must have had a very active NE scout as I know a few lads who went down there for trials.

Didn't like, we won 3-0. Played in the white FA cup final kit, lovely Summer evening, owers got an overhead kick and iirc Armstrong and Hauser scored the others.
Correct, I was there. It was also the first day of my working life, I asked to leave an hour early so I could go to the match. Great start to my career!

Oxford 91 (around Xmas time), Smith's last game, we had about 3k down that day and most wanted to leave at half time, but the plods wouldn't let anyone out! We all had to endure another 45 mins of it!

Edit: we got beat 3-0 iirc

Losing by six to Coventry away. Midweek game sometime in the 80s. My dad was late and we didn't get there till the 40th minute by which time they were 4-0 down.

Oxford 91 (around Xmas time), Smith's last game, we had about 3k down that day and most wanted to leave at half time, but the plods wouldn't let anyone out! We all had to endure another 45 mins of it!

Edit: we got beat 3-0 iirc
remember that, was gagging to leave early! Yeah got beat 3-0.

Bradford away, 4-0 or 4-1 (of course), circa 1999/2000. Sunderland fans in two ends of the ground, only happened twice. I was sat in Bradford's kop, the noise we made was incredible. It always seems that way when sat in the home end.

I'm guessing the previous year was when Elvis ran on the pitch when Phillips bagged a hat-trick.

Ipswich 3 Sunderland 3. First game of the season 81-82. Noted for Ally McCoist's debut. Two black fellas in the Ipswich fans wearing Mags tops trying to boot the segregating gates open beneath the away end at the end of the game.

Didn't we have a massive 3-3 down at Portman Road around 2006? We'd just beaten Wigan with 8,000 there and had to travel to Ipswich a few days later. Darren Bent played for them, we had Michael Ingham in goal who looked like an absolute dwarf. Brian Deane came on and scored late on, it was quite a big point IIRC. There was a cracking atmosphere in the pub just outside the ground, the Drum and Monkey or something, which closed down soon after.

Bradford away, 4-0 or 4-1 (of course), circa 1999/2000. Sunderland fans in two ends of the ground, only happened twice. I was sat in Bradford's kop, the noise we made was incredible. It always seems that way when sat in the home end.

I'm guessing the previous year was when Elvis ran on the pitch when Phillips bagged a hat-trick.

Didn't we have a massive 3-3 down at Portman Road around 2006? We'd just beaten Wigan with 8,000 there and had to travel to Ipswich a few days later. Darren Bent played for them, we had Michael Ingham in goal who looked like an absolute dwarf. Brian Deane came on and scored late on, it was quite a big point IIRC. There was a cracking atmosphere in the pub just outside the ground, the Drum and Monkey or something, which closed down soon after.

2-2 04/05 season? Sunday 12:30 ko?

Think we took 2500 to that

Us against Bristol Rovers at Twerton Park, 1992. Lost 1-0 to a goal scored by Devon White, he was about 8ft tall iirc! Was a class day out in Bath though. The midweek prior we'd just beaten Oxford 3-0 at the Manor Ground in the fa cup. Should've put this in the bipolar thread!
It was 2-1.
Devon white scored against us in 1988.

Noticed that all my favourite away day memories, and quite a few other posters by the sounds of it, have been in the lower leagues. Going down isn't so bad from a purely fans day out perspective!

Watford away 1993, was a member of the "Roker Rookies" at the time and we had a trip to Watford, can recall Gary Owers scoring, think we drew 1-1.

Ah right. Was an alcohol fuelled day I remember that much!

Can't say I am too surprised after Covent Garden mate!!!

Watford away 1993, was a member of the "Roker Rookies" at the time and we had a trip to Watford, can recall Gary Owers scoring, think we drew 1-1.

He did, sort of, took a few deflections on the way in iirc.
Long walk around the allotments.
Mate of mine is diabetic and a right wanker when pissed, drank too much ended up saying he needed treatment so we took him to the hospital next to the ground. They wouldn't do owt as he was pissed and abusive and I was all for leaving him. The lad who was driving was flying from Newcastle to Tenerife at 0200hrs on the Sunday too

Oldham in the 95-96 promotion season. Midweek in March, and it had been snowing. Set off on the train not knowing if the game would be on. Freezing cold. Won 2-1, last minute header from Bally from a corner. Ended up kipping on Leeds station for a couple of hours waiting for a connection on the way home.

I was at that game, went with the shields branch. Coldest match I've been to.

Gillingham away 2003, was a midweek game, left Sunlun at 9 on the Shields bus that Slosher and Flanny used to run, bus is going through Grangetown and suddenly stops, Sammy The Chin was out doing some shopping and gets persuaded to come on the bus down to Gillingham:lol:, we won 3-1, Stewart Downing scored one of our goals.
Aye we went down that night on franky wheatleys mini bus which left peterlee at 9. The away end was like scaffolding, got home at half 4 in the morning and 2 days off work, love midweek aways me :lol:

Bolton away, think we won 3-0

Sure the ground had recently been built as it didn't seem finished around it when we went

shrimpers 3 safc 1. cracking weekend iirc mate. also memorable for witnessing a stead goal and catching a glimpse of riera there.

the quinny post match quote is as prescient now as then imo

There's a percentage of players in the dressing room who are simply not good enough.
"We've put our arm round them and looked after them over the past few weeks but the losing mentality is rampant in this dressing room.
"When you see that you realise some just aren't going to make the cut."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back