Random away matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup - I was. Must be 15 yrs ago now ? Think I was only 13-14, went with my dad.

Midweek game from what I can remember. No idea what the score was now, but remember the players running back to tell the keeper we had a pen - who then shouted it to the fans as we could see F all due to the fog.

FA Cup ?

Only knew we scored when there was no noise from the home fans and our lot dancing around coming back.

Immense times.
I remember the Southend game in 92 (iirc) around Xmas time when we won 1-0, Ian Sampson header I think? Me and a couple of mates were down in London that weekend, but couldn't get a ticket for some reason (think it was a small away allocation). We ended up going out on the piss in Hammersmith (at the Palais) and when we were trying to get a taxi back outside the tube station, there was this bloke selling the Sunday papers early doors.
My mate asked him "How did Sunderland get on mate, do you know"
He said "Won one nowt mate"
I said "fuck off man you're taking the piss"...
At which point he lifted up his sleeve and showed a tattoo of our badge and went "Do I look like I'm fuckin' taking the piss"!!!
It was class and unreal... we just get everywhere!

Oldham in the 95-96 promotion season. Midweek in March, and it had been snowing. Set off on the train not knowing if the game would be on. Freezing cold. Won 2-1, last minute header from Bally from a corner. Ended up kipping on Leeds station for a couple of hours waiting for a connection on the way home.

Luton earlier that season. Won 2-0, goals from Gray and Mullin. Gray missed a pen as well. First time I saw an away win, which means I might be the only person in history to have happy memories of Kenilworth Road. The away end probably still has more pillars than seats, mind.

Watching the 5-0 at Derby from the home stand, and as the goals kept going in starting to realise that it was probably about 30% SAFC in there and a lot of smug grins being politely hidden. Bloke behind going on about how they couldn't beat this 'Division One shit'.

Friendly at Plymouth in 98(?) Stopped off to buy some food in the supermarket as I drove into town, bloke at the check out turns out to be a Sunderland fan. Just finishing his shift, so ended up going round his for a quick bite before heading to the game. Shocking grooming. Won 3-0, IIRC.

Ipswich 3 Sunderland 3. First game of the season 81-82. Noted for Ally McCoist's debut. Two black fellas in the Ipswich fans wearing Mags tops trying to boot the segregating gates open beneath the away end at the end of the game.

Chester away in 87 i think it was...Boxing Day...they decided not to make it all ticket and had to open up the stand behind the goal which was covered in moss....we won 2-1 with a MacPhail header....

I got searched and 4 tangerines confiscated as they were classed as weapons...

Gillingham away in 02 or 03. Was bonfire night I think. Only thought of going while sat bored at work on the morning. Rang me marra and headed down. Won 4-1 or 4-2 I think. Downing tortured their full back (may even have been Nyron just before we bought him)!

Notts county away

Got beat but stopped up, pitch invasion and a snapped crossbar

Not really random as there seemed to be a shit load of us there

yeh we stopped up due to other results going our way - seem to think we were 3 down at half time. Had at least two sides of the ground and lots of safc fighting amongst themselves.

Reactions: j.w
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back