Poyet: I turned down opportunities to sign free agents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish Gus would take a leaf out of Keane's book and give reporters short shrift with a canny one liner to put them back in their box. Gus seems to gan on like a lass in the toilets with her mates.

WINLESS Sunderland will wait until January to bolster their squad, rather than be panicked into making a move in the Bosman market.

Last weekend’s goalless draw against Swansea extended Sunderland’s run without a Premier League victory to six games this season, with the Black Cats facing another presentable opportunity to get off the mark in this Saturday’s visit of Stoke City.

Goals have been Sunderland’s particular problem, with Gus Poyet’s side drawing a blank in their last two top flight outings and netting just five times in the league all season.

But Sunderland – who signed Billy Jones, Costel Pantilimon and Jordi Gomez on Bosmans at the start of the summer – are unlikely to address that issue by signing a free agent.

Head coach Poyet and sporting director Lee Congerton have cast their eye over those out-of-contract players still available after the end of the transfer window, while they have also fielded several calls from agents over the last four weeks.

The Black Cats were offered former Valencia striker Jonas Goncalves Oliveira at the start of the month, before the Brazilian joined Benfica on a two-year deal.

But Poyet doesn’t expect to add to Sunderland’s squad before the January window after bringing in nine players during the summer.

Poyet told the Echo: “There were a few calls about a few players. But to be honest, I’m not really looking. I’d prefer to go until January.

“I’d like to concentrate on what we’ve got.

“It would have to be something tremendous or we lose three players (through injury).

“At the moment, no, we’re not looking for any player.”

Poyet admits he has been surprised by the standard of those players who have been unable to find new employers this summer.

But the Uruguayan believes that is a symptom of clubs tightening their belts under the Financial Fair Play regulations.

“There are a few players in different positions that, to be honest, are quite interesting,” he added.

“But football is crazy.

“If you were free in my time and you were a Premier League player, there would be 20 clubs (interested).

“But now, if you’re free, you can have trouble to find a club for whatever reason.”

6 more goals before January then.

I think we need more depth. No backup left back, three center backs with one of them being Brown who is injury prone and Coates who until now didn't show that he is Premier League material. I would want also another winger since Gus doesn't seem to believe that Mavrias is ready yet.
Four

Anyone who is still available at this time of the year isn't worth signing unless we are desperate.

totally agree - foreign Bosmans ? Do me a favour ! ROBERGE and DIAKITE - I rest my case m'lud.

Why take someone for free now when we can pay £6M for a journeyman in January?
Get with the programme folks

who says GP will pay for a journeyman like MON did ? Get with the programme pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back