RR Poyet A Defeat Away From Danger

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RTG

A Love Supreme's Chris Thompson says there is still plenty of reason to believe in Gus Poyet, but he's nearing some very dangerous ground unless Sunderland get back to winning ways soon. Allow me to begin this article by expressing my fondness for Gus Poyet. With the keep-ball mentality of Peter Reid, the likeability of Mick McCarthy and just a...

More at Roker Report...

He's already under pressure but another poor performance and defeat against palace and he will be under a lot of pressure to get results against Everton and Leicester

I think the writings on the wall personally. Be gone by Christmas

Having read the article, it's not saying anything that supporters would disagree with. However, a key point was missed. One of the main reasons some supporters are deeply unhappy with Gus, is not so much the defeats, it's the style of football we play. It's boring, ponderous and unexciting.

Since when did Peter Reid have a keep ball mentality?

It was get the ball to Mickey Gray then launch a diagnol high ball to Quinn's head and charge in on the flick on

Having read the article, it's not saying anything that supporters would disagree with. However, a key point was missed. One of the main reasons some supporters are deeply unhappy with Gus, is not so much the defeats, it's the style of football we play. It's boring, ponderous and unexciting.

Seems to have fallen into the same style as O'Neil. Says something really when yet another manager cannot change the way we play.

When Pulis takes over after a few games the headline will be 'Pulis in peril'.

He's already under pressure but another poor performance and defeat against palace and he will be under a lot of pressure to get results against Everton and Leicester

I agree and think we will have a new manager in before the derby.

I think he will see the season out at least, draw at palace 4 points out of leicester and everton will see him right

And so the cycle will begin again. And, we wonder why we never achieve much

Mind keeping managers is no guarantee of success either, you need to keep the right ones and sack the shit ones to achieve anything. Which category poyet is in is currently open to debate, id keep him for now but wouldnt want him indefinitely and regardless of what happens on the pitch purely for continuitys sake, just as i think we can all agree it was right for Wilko to go

We have to stick with Poyet for at least another two seasons. Give him time to build a relationship with the DoF and produce short, medium and long term strategies for player recruitment and youth development. We need to end this cycle of getting a new man in every year - 18 months. Every time we do, we completely overhaul the squad (on a shoestring to work within Ellis Short's financial plan) and disrupt any identity the manager is trying to impose on the club.

I'm not particularly enamoured with Poyet's comments of late but the club need to work with him (and he needs to reciprocate) to establish a clear plan of how he can work with Congerton as part of a team rather than distance himself from the decisions made. He can only do that if he has a belief that the club are willing to back him long term rather than on short term results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back