Points necessary to finish outside the bottom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The days of the magic 40 points seem well behind us now, presumably it reflects the gap widening not just between top and bottom, but between middle and bottom. I'd suspect over the next few seasons we may see 35 as the new 40
40 was a magic number which if you achieved, you could "could never go down" except we did and west ham went down with more, so it's bollocks. Seldom has the 17th team needed to get to 40 points and it's often aquite a lot lower though.

This is a good point, unless 3 teams improve drastically then you'd imagine 38 points would almost certainly be enough.

Last season was 33, so maybe it's getting lower and lower each season. 33 is pretty poor. I think it'll be closer to 40 this season though.

With 36 or 37, we'll be fine. Unless teams do a Sunderland and start winning against teams they shouldn't. But even if one does that, we'll survive.

Purely because I'm bored....the team in 18th accrued the following points

08-09 - well that season doesn't matter, 34
09-10 Burnley - 30 points
10-11 Birmingham - 39 points
11-12 Bolton 36 points
12-13 Wigan 36 points
13-14 Norwich 33 points

Last season at this stage

16 Palace 23
17 WBA - 22
18 West Ham - 22
19 Cardiff - 21
20 Fulham - 19

This season

16 Villa 22
17 Burnley 20
18 Hull 19
19 QPR 19
20 Leicester 17

Your saying we weren't in the bottom 5 at this point last year?

Your saying we weren't in the bottom 5 at this point last year?

It was around this stage when we beat the mags and Stoke. Then we didn't win a game again until Chelsea.

We'll need a point from Swansea to be in the exact same position. Then again, we went on to get 1 point from 9 games or something so it's all about how we do beyond that 24th game.

Well finish on 50. I saw something in Defoe yesterday that I haven't seen in a Sunderland player for a long time. You can tell he is/has been a top player. He oozes class and calm on the ball and will score many goals for us

Well finish on 50. I saw something in Defoe yesterday that I haven't seen in a Sunderland player for a long time. You can tell he is/has been a top player. He oozes class and calm on the ball and will score many goals for us
:lol::lol:

Only 1 of them has to though if i correctly follow your logic.

I reckon 36 will be close to the correct answer mind. I'll go for 38.

No if we finish on 36 points- three teams need to finish on 37 for us to be relegated.

The current bottom three have 19 or less. So Hull QPR and Leicester would need to get 18, 18 and 20 points respectively for us to go down.

This is providing other teams get less than 37. If not then yes you are right, only 1 would.

No if we finish on 36 points- three teams need to finish on 37 for us to be relegated.

The current bottom three have 19 or less. So Hull QPR and Leicester would need to get 18, 18 and 20 points respectively for us to go down.

This is providing other teams get less than 37. If not then yes you are right, only 1 would.

No they wouldn't. We don't need all 3 of them to finish above us in order for us to go down

No they wouldn't. We don't need all 3 of them to finish above us in order for us to go down

We do if there's two teams below us but aye if there's no-one then we don't.

Even so- one of them won't get 18 points. It's taken them 23 matches to get 19 or even less in Leicester's case.

Bottom line is we should be okay

Purely because I'm bored....the team in 18th accrued the following points

08-09 - well that season doesn't matter, 34
09-10 Burnley - 30 points
10-11 Birmingham - 39 points
11-12 Bolton 36 points
12-13 Wigan 36 points
13-14 Norwich 33 points

Last season at this stage

16 Palace 23
17 WBA - 22
18 West Ham - 22
19 Cardiff - 21
20 Fulham - 19

This season

16 Villa 22
17 Burnley 20
18 Hull 19
19 QPR 19
20 Leicester 17

Interesting Mag post with bottom teams 2 or 3 points worse off at same stage last season.

34 points or 33 with better goal average may well be enough.

4 Points from QPR and Swansea and I think we can start being a bit more adventurous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back