People who use phones when driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, obviously there's a massive spread of abilities...but the point of Dunning-Kruger is that people who are not very good at things are also not very good at judging their own standard of competency and over-estimate it, and you can couple that with the cognitive bias of illusionary superiority which is that most people rate themselves above average at various tasks - which can't be true. Various surveys have been done which show than up to 90% of drivers rate themselves as being better than the average driver...

I'll bet that if you could go back in time, most people who cause accidents or kill people through driving while texting or using facebook would have asserted that they were better drivers than most. And of course, until that fatal accident, most of them won't have caused a single accident through doing it, reinforcing their feeling of competence right up until the second they ploughed into someone.

I do have to apologise though for the off-topic post on using phone when driving on the mad breakdowns and abuse thread.
I've no doubt this is all true. But you have people like my dad, who would take about 20 minutes to write or even read a text while driving, and people who can knock them out in seconds, while also looking at the road. But I guess you can't differentiate.
I still maintain the solution is head up displays to superimpose messages on the windscreen, with speech to text replying.

woman today going through the houghton cut, just as I go to overtake her, as I'm at her rear quarter she indicates and moves out, I had to blow my horn, get along side as she apologises with a phone in her hand. Once i'm past her I look in my mirror and she goes round that long sweeping corner before you go over the bridge, bounces off the curb, this time I notice a small child in the passenger seat....

woman today going through the houghton cut, just as I go to overtake her, as I'm at her rear quarter she indicates and moves out, I had to blow my horn, get along side as she apologises with a phone in her hand. Once i'm past her I look in my mirror and she goes round that long sweeping corner before you go over the bridge, bounces off the curb, this time I notice a small child in the passenger seat....
That's disgraceful that

I'd report her.

He's calling you a fat Jack Russell, mate
:lol: some strange folk on here:lol:

Last edited:
They aren't, just like nobody can safely use a mobile/text while driving (without handsfree of course!)
I agree, but it's all about minimising risk while still doing what you need to do. Take this morning. I was halfway to work and realised I had to check my bank balance. I was on a main country road doing about 60 with the car in front about 100 yards ahead. There were no turn offs and no houses or pedestrians. I assessed the risk and deemed it ok to use my phone app, keeping my eyes flicking between the road and phone. There was nothing that could feasibly happen in the time I was looking away that I wouldn't be able to react to when I looked back. This is what I'm talking about - not the people who are on the phone willy nilly regardless of where they are or what the situation is.

I agree, but it's all about minimising risk while still doing what you need to do. Take this morning. I was halfway to work and realised I had to check my bank balance. I was on a main country road doing about 60 with the car in front about 100 yards ahead. There were no turn offs and no houses or pedestrians. I assessed the risk and deemed it ok to use my phone app, keeping my eyes flicking between the road and phone. There was nothing that could feasibly happen in the time I was looking away that I wouldn't be able to react to when I looked back. This is what I'm talking about - not the people who are on the phone willy nilly regardless of where they are or what the situation is.

You have too be taking the piss?! :lol::lol::lol::eek:

It's amazing how many professional drivers you see doing it. The amount of lorries you see swerving about then as you pass them the tossers are on the phone. I always give them a hoot and either the bird or wanker sign. It's bad enough anyone does it but if it's your livelihood it's insane

Don't you have previous for dodgy driving :lol::lol:

Finally proven that Dave Herbal is a wind up account!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back