People who claim 'Boro isn't a derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always found them ammusing more than anything for the reason that there isn't a set of people ive come across with a bigger chip on their shoukders than Tessiders.

Whether it's a derby or not, it genuinely means little more than any other game for me.

The Newcastle fixture is the first one I look for (haven't found it yet this season) and I'm sick with nerves for weeks before and the jubilation or devastation of the result stays with me for weeks after.

None of that applies with Boro.

This

A normal game with a slight bit of edge, nothing more nothing less

My opinion for what it's worth is that it is a derby (2 places relatively close to each other) and a game that had a bit of added spice in comparison to other fixtures however it is nowhere near as important or as big as the Newcastle game and never will be.

It will probably have a little more meaning this year because Newcastle aren't in the league so there is no proper Derby. Also it's boro's first season back, probably means more to them than us in terms of a derby.

I work with mostly boro fans so it has added importance for me too.

I've been to darlington and boro many times. I've been to london shitloads as well and spurs isn't a derby.

What has travelling got to do with a derby?

Isn't a derby two teams from same area?

I've been to darlington and boro many times. I've been to london shitloads as well and spurs isn't a derby.

What has travelling got to do with a derby?
It hasn't thats what you said.

Its not a derby because you don't know any boro fans.

Oh well. Thats the definition then.

My opinion for what it's worth is that it is a derby (2 places relatively close to each other) and a game that had a bit of added spice in comparison to other fixtures however it is nowhere near as important or as big as the Newcastle game and never will be.

It will probably have a little more meaning this year because Newcastle aren't in the league so there is no proper Derby. Also it's boro's first season back, probably means more to them than us in terms of a derby.

I work with mostly boro fans so it has added importance for me too.

Isn't a derby two teams from same area?
We aren't from the same area, not really. There's two counties between us and them. I expect it means more to county durham based supporters but when you get up to sunderland, boro don't really exist.

I always thought of it as a derby when those daft buggers in the Fullwell used to chant "Attack, Attack, attack attack attack" to us daft buggers in the Roker End.

Its not a derby for me like. I felt sorry for the fckers when they locked the gates at Ayresome Park and always wanted them to do well like Darlo and Hartlepool.

Then the 90s came and Roger Thames tried to convince me it was a derby. It isn't.

A derby is the Mags game including all the nerves in the build up and the elation when you beat the bastards.

For me I'd rather beat a proper club like Leeds then beat Boro.

I'm not claiming it's as big a rivalry, but to dismiss boro as a game is to remove a chunk of our history and make up.

Admittedly we've been told for nigh on 25 yrs that the north east starts and ends at Newcastle.

When did become so arrogant we started believing other local rivalries were beneath us?

I hope the answer is, we haven't.

Rivalry yes...derby no,
2 bloody counties beteeen us
Two? Your geography is shit.

I'm not claiming it's as big a rivalry, but to dismiss boro as a game is to remove a chunk of our history and make up.

Admittedly we've been told for nigh on 25 yrs that the north east starts and ends at Newcastle.

When did become so arrogant we started believing other local rivalries were beneath us?

I hope the answer is, we haven't.
There's a rivalry definitely but no way is it a derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back