People who claim 'Boro isn't a derby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Two-Lane Blacktop

Can we have this one put to bed before the season starts please.

We've always had a rivalry with Middlesbrough.

To claim otherwise is to pretend our history started 10 years ago with our current run of Premier League years and all that matters to us is getting one over on Newcastle.

We're starting to sound like them in the '90s when they started claiming the Wear-Tyne derby was no longer of interest because their main rivals were now Manchester United.

We've had some cracking derbies with 'boro. Ayresome Park was a nasty place to go for one thing.

We're not defined by Newcastle or our rivalry with them. Lets enjoy the year or more without them and revel in a bit of aggro with our A19 neighbours.

Merry Christmas.

To claim otherwise is to pretend our history started 10 years ago with our current run of Premier League years and all that matters to us is getting one over on Newcastle.

We're starting to sound like them in the '90s when they started claiming the Wear-Tyne derby was no longer of interest because their main rivals were now Manchester United.

We've had some cracking derbies with 'boro. Ayresome Park was a nasty place to go for one thing.

We're not defined by Newcastle or our rivalry with them. Lets enjoy the year or more without them and revel in a bit of aggro with our A19 neighbours.

Merry Christmas.

After working through there for a while it's a definite f***ing derby to me, I hate the bastards

Happy harvest festival

Merry Christmas.
'Rivalry' and 'Derby' have two separate definitions and don't have to be synonymous. To be fair, I'd say Boro were neither. At best they're just another team to hate.

Whether it's a derby or not, it genuinely means little more than any other game for me.

The Newcastle fixture is the first one I look for (haven't found it yet this season) and I'm sick with nerves for weeks before and the jubilation or devastation of the result stays with me for weeks after.

None of that applies with Boro.

It's not a derby for me because not one of my friends, family or workmates are boro fans. I've never really known one, i don't think I've met a single one up here.
What I was going to write. Yes they are relatively close geographically, but that's it for me. Don't know a single boro fan and we won't be the only ones here that don't either.

My in laws are all Everton for example so I look forward to (dread usually) that game a hell of a lot more.

Especially when we humped them to send the mags down. Man what a night that was looking back...

Whether it's a derby or not, it genuinely means little more than any other game for me.

The Newcastle fixture is the first one I look for (haven't found it yet this season) and I'm sick with nerves for weeks before and the jubilation or devastation of the result stays with me for weeks after.

None of that applies with Boro.
This

It's not a derby for me because not one of my friends, family or workmates are boro fans. I've never really known one, i don't think I've met a single one up here.
So because you and your family have never travelled south of Darlington its not a derby.

Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back