Our Most Valuable Players - if we sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have many assets to sell. If we sold Johnson or Cattermole then we would be losing an important player, and we would undoubtedly squander the money on someone shite.

We can't make much progress unless Short properly invests in quality players in the summer. Poyet will have steadied the ship, it's time for Short to show some ambition over the next year. Otherwise we'll be just making up the numbers again.
We will be making up the numbers forever at best unless he invests hundreds of millions.

We will be making up the numbers forever at best unless he invests hundreds of millions.

It would not take hundreds of millions to make us a top 10 team. A few quality additions and we'd be competing with those teams like West Ham, Swansea and Stoke. Poor recruitment has cost us dearly. We need to be smart this summer and add at least three top quality players. Short needs to make it happen somehow.

It would not take hundreds of millions to make us a top 10 team. A few quality additions and we'd be competing with those teams like West Ham, Swansea and Stoke. Poor recruitment has cost us dearly. We need to be smart this summer and add at least three top quality players. Short needs to make it happen somehow.
How is top ten any less making the numbers up than 12th or 14th? No chance of winning anything or competing

Johnson by a mile

to whom : Stoke ? Hull ? Boro ?

Johnson 5 mill to mid table side
Cattermole 3 mill to relegation / just promoted side
Rodwell 2 mill to a manager who remembers him pre injury
Fletcher 3 mill to relegation / just promoted side
Wickham probably unsellable on new wages
Giaccherini buttons back to Italia - again wages a problem

Could all go for decent money. Just because people in sunderland see them every week doesn't mean that their reputation isn't reasonable elsewhere.

Last edited:
How is top ten any less making the numbers up than 12th or 14th? No chance of winning anything or competing

When we finished seventh twice, we weren't making up the numbers, we were a team to be reckoned with. That's what I mean about getting top ten. We weren't just also rans, we were up there with the best. That's what Southampton are doing right now.

No chance of competing? I think you'll find that all of the top ten teams have been ultra competitive. That's exciting. We should be aiming for this. That's not making up the numbers. I think floating around in the bottom half constantly is making up the numbers. If we were to break into the top ten next season, I think a lot of fans would be excited, especially if we started the season really well. We're not expecting to win anything, we just want to make the step up and get back to being a top 10 team like we were under Reid for a little while.

When we finished seventh twice, we weren't making up the numbers, we were a team to be reckoned with. That's what I mean about getting top ten. We weren't just also rans, we were up there with the best. That's what Southampton are doing right now.

No chance of competing? I think you'll find that all of the top ten teams have been ultra competitive. That's exciting. We should be aiming for this. That's not making up the numbers. I think floating around in the bottom half constantly is making up the numbers. If we were to break into the top ten next season, I think a lot of fans would be excited, especially if we started the season really well. We're not expecting to win anything, we just want to make the step up and get back to being a top 10 team like we were under Reid for a little while.
No they aren't ultra competitive. We weren't up with the best when we finished 7th either for more than a couple of months. It's possible to compete for a year or two but sustaining any kind of meaningful challenge would cost hundreds of millions.

I don't understand why people underrate out players so much. Last summer everyone pretty much agreed that the price of a premier league player had increased because of tv money yet people on here believe that Johnson is worth much less than he was when we signed him despite him contributing a goal or assist every 3 games in an awful team.

The likes of Ulloa, Jelavic and Snodgrass are in the £7m bracket these days. Unproven players in this league like Kramaric, Tadic, Valencia and Markovic came in for £9m, £11m, £15m and £20m. None of them are far better than Johnson (although some have greater potential). Shane Long went for £14m and Ross McCormack in the championship for £10m.

I'd expect £15m for Johnson. Try and find a proven premier league quality player in his prime for less. There won't be many.

A quality manager would be a good start!

I don't understand why people underrate out players so much. Last summer everyone pretty much agreed that the price of a premier league player had increased because of tv money yet people on here believe that Johnson is worth much less than he was when we signed him despite him contributing a goal or assist every 3 games in an awful team.

The likes of Ulloa, Jelavic and Snodgrass are in the £7m bracket these days. Unproven players in this league like Kramaric, Tadic, Valencia and Markovic came in for £9m, £11m, £15m and £20m. None of them are far better than Johnson (although some have greater potential). Shane Long went for £14m and Ross McCormack in the championship for £10m.

I'd expect £15m for Johnson. Try and find a proven premier league quality player in his prime for less. There won't be many.
Difference is Johnson will be in the last year of his contract by the summer, so we wouldn't get full value for him. No way anyone with any sense is going to pay £15m for a player in the last year of contract at 28.

Difference is Johnson will be in the last year of his contract by the summer, so we wouldn't get full value for him. No way anyone with any sense is going to pay £15m for a player in the last year of contract at 28.

It works both ways though. Anyone with any sense would give Johnson a new contract and not sell him for anything like the values mentioned on this thread.

It says everything about the creativity and goal scoring threat of our team,when some people think our most expensive sell on player would be a player that sits in front of our back 4.

There is no way Cattermole would go for more than Johnson.

Last edited:
It says everything about the creativity and goal scoring threat of our team,when some people think our most expensive sell on player would be a player that sits in front of our back 4.

There is no way Cattermole would go for more than Johnson.
I agree but it is also more a reflection of Poyet's preference for defence and not letting the opposition score (joint 12th fewest goals against) rather than focusing on creativity and making chances (2nd fewest goals for). I haven't looked at chances created in games overall but I rather think we'd be around bottom of the table on that count over the season to date rather than looking at chances missed.

I agree but it is also more a reflection of Poyet's preference for defence and not letting the opposition score (joint 12th fewest goals against) rather than focusing on creativity and making chances (2nd fewest goals for). I haven't looked at chances created in games overall but I rather think we'd be around bottom of the table on that count over the season to date rather than looking at chances missed.

Just think it sad state if affairs,I would imagine that most other teams best value players are the creative ones,as a rule forwards and creative players go for more money.

Take your point about Poyets tactics but bottom line is our players are not creative at all apart from maybe Johnson.

Just think it sad state if affairs,I would imagine that most other teams best value players are the creative ones,as a rule forwards and creative players go for more money.

Take your point about Poyets tactics but bottom line is our players are not creative at all apart from maybe Johnson.
I quite agree. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't making excuses for Poyet. I think the transfer policy has been shocking with Poyet readily buying too many defensive midfielders to the detriment of real creativity and flair. As a defender all my life I can truly say I could organise the 9 man defence easily as good as Poyet. The real skill is being able to create and score goals. We rarely get the ball to the by-line and we don't work it but rather give it to a winger or wing back who have to dribble it past a maze of players to get a cross in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back