Only one defeat in five.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good point.

QPR have been thrashed twice and lost at home to Hull. And yet they still have the same number of points as we do........

It's not that easy though mate. When the game was stretched today, our CB's looked very shaky and we could easily have lost.

prepare to see them shaky for the rest of the season,2 old men we have to defend deep because of their lack of legs,the whole system revolves around this. we can't push up as any manager with an ounce of sense would just lob it over them and chase.

I think we did look well organised apart from after Johnson went off, but struggled at times more due to individual mistakes. I think we look pretty well drilled, if not a bit ineffectual - that we've been hard to beat so far this season can't only be down to other teams being poor over 5 games, it's something we're doing right. We're just not doing enough of the right stuff :lol:

Sorry mate but I'll beg to differ, we're being carved open far too often for my liking. Early days though.

Do we look well organised though? Despite the sheer weight of numbers acting as defenders we were torn to shreds against Spurs, even a piss poor Burnley created more than enough opportunities to win the game. Their ineptitude and lack of quality saved us today.

The problem is bud, we have two aging centre backs who lack pace. When the game gets stretched (like at parts today) or when we play good teams (spurs), their frailties come on show.

Sorry mate but I'll beg to differ, we're being carved open far too often for my liking. Early days though.
Fair enough, not much point in arguing if we've got such different points of view! It's early days, but I see enough positive in there, just need more going forward.

prepare to see them shaky for the rest of the season,2 old men we have to defend deep because of their lack of legs,the whole system revolves around this. we can't push up as any manager with an ounce of sense would just lob it over them and chase.

I've always been very critical of JOS, but it appears Brown is the one that is struggling the most out of the two.

Hmm, how many matches in the league have we won again? (Bearing in mind a win is worth 3 times as much as a draw). It's been a pretty shit start whichever way you look at it. Played 3 poor teams from those 5 as well and are averaging just 30 points over the season.

The problem is bud, we have two aging centre backs who lack pace. When the game gets stretched (like at parts today) or when we play good teams (spurs), their frailties come on show.

I agree with you. Their lack of pace prevents us pressing sides, the result being we end up parked on the edge of our box for long periods with only one man as an out ball.

Fair enough, not much point in arguing if we've got such different points of view! It's early days, but I see enough positive in there, just need more going forward.

No bother mate, it's only a game. :D

I agree with you. Their lack of pace prevents us pressing sides, the result being we end up parked on the edge of our box for long periods with only one man as an out ball.

No bother mate, it's only a game. :D
What I would say, is that Catts is sitting far, far too deep so far this season (is he being pushed further back because Rodwell likes to sit deeper too and so does Larsson?) and that's causing us to allow teams onto us. But I think we generally deal well with that. The biggest problem today was the lack of pace and width I thought. Oh, and Altidore.

What I would say, is that Catts is sitting far, far too deep so far this season (is he being pushed further back because Rodwell likes to sit deeper too and so does Larsson?) and that's causing us to allow teams onto us. But I think we generally deal well with that. The biggest problem today was the lack of pace and width I thought. Oh, and Altidore.

He's being wasted at the moment. Way too easy to pass around stood where he is and he's not dependable enough on the ball in tight areas to play the role he's currently being asked to play.

I wonder if Rodwell could play there? Mind, I'm still not sure what type of player he is to be fair. Early days but he doesn't look the sort of player who'll create much.
I don't even see the issue with him dropping in to get the ball (as he is definitely way more comfortable on it than Catts in tight spaces) and then swapping with Catts as we move up the pitch. Catts can play defensive midfield and then drop in without having to be the one that comes short, surely? Rodwell is always going to be hard to call - 14 months with barely any football is f***ing mental man, it's another subject entirely but how can that be allowed to happen to a lad his age? I think he'll come good, and there are flashes he can do the more physical stuff as well as the passing side, but neither looks particularly great at the moment I'll agree. He's going to need 10-12 games to be up to speed, but even then he already looks like he needs a couple of quick wingers or a more creative midfield alongside him.

It's who the defeat was to that is the problem. A side that will be around about us come the end of the season. The same problem as we had last season. We have to BEAT the likes of Qpr and Burnley or we'll struggle. No other way

all 5 games we have been bookines favorites to lose - horrible combination - newly promoted teams away big 6 at home. 4 points better off than equivalent last season.

Including 3 away games . Heh things are looking up , steady progress . Well done gus and the lads.
On the other hand Poyet's has said this is his team. He has presided over a full pre-season with most of the players. Last year's new players e.g. Altidore, Giaccherini, have now been at the club a year so should be making a significant contribution. I watched the SKY choice game tonight and I thought Altidore had been taken off almost as soon as he came on. Thus is shocking and far below an acceptable standard for an experienced Premiership player (tongue in cheek there of course)!

Yet some of those same players still don't know how to play or where to play. We shouldn't need to settle into the club to perform this season. If we have players needing as long to settle as Scocco did they shouldn't even be on the bench.

We have four points from five games. Work it out what we might get over a season.

I remain concerned when the manager spoke about how closely matched we were to Burnley today. With our Premiership pedigree and quality we should be going all out to beat teams like that. If that's the level of our aspirations I truly despair.

I'll take boring draws over narrow defeats whilst we are getting our system together, it keeps us in the mix, something we couldn't achieve last season.

On the other hand Poyet's has said this is his team. He has presided over a full pre-season with most of the players. Last year's new players e.g. Altidore, Giaccherini, have now been at the club a year so should be making a significant contribution. I watched the SKY choice game tonight and I thought Altidore had been taken off almost as soon as he came on. Thus is shocking and far below an acceptable standard for an experienced Premiership player (tongue in cheek there of course)!

Yet some of those same players still don't know how to play or where to play. We shouldn't need to settle into the club to perform this season. If we have players needing as long to settle as Scocco did they shouldn't even be on the bench.

We have four points from five games. Work it out what we might get over a season.

I remain concerned when the manager spoke about how closely matched we were to Burnley today. With our Premiership pedigree and quality we should be going all out to beat teams like that. If that's the level of our aspirations I truly despair.
Good post

Good point.

QPR have been thrashed twice and lost at home to Hull. And yet they still have the same number of points as we do........

qpr have had three winnable home games - weve had spurs and man u

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back