'Okay not good enough' -gustavo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with you. People seem to take 'having a go' as some sort of naive kamikaze football when it doesn't have to be.

Precisely. I thought football was about attacking teams and being an attacking team and trying to score goals. That is how you win games. Seems logical to assume that by creating chances you score goals which helps toward winning. But the modern way is going away from that. The almost surgical approach by Gus is too radical. A five-man midfield? That is just inviting teams to have a go if you spend so much time just passing it about.

He wants to be more positive in matches, why are we sitting off teams we should be going at?

His life coach wants to tell him to apply his interview philosophy to matches.

Precisely. I thought football was about attacking teams and being an attacking team and trying to score goals. That is how you win games. Seems logical to assume that by creating chances you score goals which helps toward winning. But the modern way is going away from that. The almost surgical approach by Gus is too radical. A five-man midfield? That is just inviting teams to have a go if you spend so much time just passing it about.
its only a 5 man midfield when defending, when attacking its 433, its our passing at the min that's letting us down. Its the same formation Tha won us all the games that kept us up

Literally?

Doesn't read well when you put "hypothetically"......so just a bit of artistic license....;)

its only a 5 man midfield when defending, when attacking its 433, its our passing at the min that's letting us down. Its the same formation Tha won us all the games that kept us up

It's not though......we've had the striker who scored the goals playing the Borini role....we've also had a traditional LW (Johnson) playing left-side. It's not the same formation if the personnel are different and don't suit it...it's something cobbled together in the absence of suitable players. It's like saying to a stonemason, we haven't got any of that stone mate, can you just make do with these breeze blocks.......they may essentially do the same thing (build a structure) but there's a world of difference between the two.....as there is with our current line-ups....there's a gaping hole left side that was the strongest partnership of last season (Alonso and Borini)

Last edited:
Yesterday wasn't a complete disaster, but I do still think that the setup is a bit conservative for when we play teams like Burnley. We looked best on the break again yesterday... and while that can work against the big teams, some teams will come for a draw at the SoL and we won't be able to break them down. And if they snatch a goal, we'll definitely struggle.

I know Rodwell got forward yesterday and did well to get into good positions, nothing came of them but he was in the right places. He really should have scored the one Giacca laid on a plate for him.

We had AJ & Giaccherini drifting inside a lot, and again that is good... but in that instance, you need the full-backs bombing on and stretching things. Neither Vergini or PVA did that.. it left us much too narrow. Wickham had a couple of half-chances, but his movement needs to be better because Giaccherini and Johnson will pick out the passes if he does make the runs.

I'm not going to panic, I think we're close to where we need to be.... but our full-backs need to contribute more in an attacking sense.

wouldn't be to bad if it was the midfield that was doing the passing around,but there was quite a few times yesterday,particularly in the second half when our defence kept the ball for minutes on end without gaining a fukn yard,twas bloody turgid football to watch,pissed off biggy style after yesterday

What I don't understand is that in one of the first interviews Congerton did he stated that one of the positions that needed improving was centre forward position and yet he's done nothing about it, even if it meant using our other PL loan available if would have been better than our current options.

Doesn't read well when you put "hypothetically"......so just a bit of artistic license....;)

It's not though......we've had the striker who scored the goals playing the Borini role....we've also had a traditional LW (Johnson) playing left-side. It's not the same formation if the personnel are different and don't suit it...it's something cobbled together in the absence of suitable players. It's like saying to a stonemason, we haven't got any of that stone mate, can you just make do with these breeze blocks.......they may essentially do the same thing (build a structure) but there's a world of difference between the two.....as there is with our current line-ups....there's a gaping hole left side that was the strongest partnership of last season (Alonso and Borini)
its still the same formation, there's only borini missing

Yesterday wasn't a complete disaster, but I do still think that the setup is a bit conservative for when we play teams like Burnley. We looked best on the break again yesterday... and while that can work against the big teams, some teams will come for a draw at the SoL and we won't be able to break them down. And if they snatch a goal, we'll definitely struggle.

I know Rodwell got forward yesterday and did well to get into good positions, nothing came of them but he was in the right places. He really should have scored the one Giacca laid on a plate for him.

We had AJ & Giaccherini drifting inside a lot, and again that is good... but in that instance, you need the full-backs bombing on and stretching things. Neither Vergini or PVA did that.. it left us much too narrow. Wickham had a couple of half-chances, but his movement needs to be better because Giaccherini and Johnson will pick out the passes if he does make the runs.

I'm not going to panic, I think we're close to where we need to be.... but our full-backs need to contribute more in an attacking sense.

Time for Jones to replace Vergini at RB? Can't say I've seen a lot of Jones but Vergini looks like a CB playing at full-back when we go forward.

wonder what he plans to do about it? apart from sub AJ at around 70 mins
That was a mistake.

Didn't watch Chelsea today then before sending off. And they are top of the league. We are SAFC . Get real and enjoy it's only football.

Last edited:
Leaving the pitch after the second half, he held his hands up, shook his head, and shrugged. How long before we see him doing PDC-style 'chin up' gestures?
nibble

Watched that as well. Impressive. We could do the same with a bit of pace. Think Gus got the wrong one from Brighton mind.

In the PL you have to have something that gives you an edge. You can have a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts which is what Leicester appear to have at this albeit early stage. You could also have one or two players who make a difference.....as we did with Bent and earlier with Phillips and Quinn. You could have a team with lots of pace which enables you to overcome a low possession ratio by hurting teams on the break. To be honest i'm not quite sure what our "unique selling point" is......what do we offer that causes other teams problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back