***OFFICIAL 2016 C2C THREAD***

Status
Not open for further replies.
which is why i dont do any proper offroad on my hardtail now - its got the skinniest semi slicks i could fit

:)
I wear 1.9 conti double fighters most of the year and they are fine, as long as you learn to catch the back end when it invariably squirms out.
Mind, I woule have struggled with them last night.

Logon or register to see this image

This is the rookhope climb in the dry. Make your own mind up.

Cross bike would seem like a happy medium,bike wise. 33mm knobblies on mine.Handles rough ground very well.Even mud.
Yeah I've seen a couple use them. The thing I don't get though is people who have a decent hardtail and a roadie and choose the roadie. If you have semi slicks on, you can go almost as fast - certainly down the hills; it's not a great deal more effort to ride; it's more comfy and you get to ride the gnarly bits. You also have a lower bottom gear which is handy when you're crawling up hartside at 3 mph for an hour.

Last edited:

Yeah I've seen a couple use them. The thing I don't get though is people who have a decent hardtail and a roadie and choose the roadie. If you have semi slicks on, you can go almost as fast - certainly down the hills; it's not a great deal more effort to ride; it's more comfy and you get to ride the gnarly bits. You also have a lower bottom gear which is handy when you're crawling up hartside at 3 mph for an hour.

Aye that does look rough. And the gears are'nt as suitable as a mtb. I'd struggle on my cross,because of lack of gears,and struggle on my mtb because of the weight and the 2.1 tyres. Last time i did it,it was on a rigid mtb.

Aye that does look rough. And the gears are'nt as suitable as a mtb. I'd struggle on my cross,because of lack of gears,and struggle on my mtb because of the weight and the 2.1 tyres. Last time i did it,it was on a rigid mtb.
How heavy's your mtb like? I once read a great article by mtb legend Gary Bontranger where he did all this maths and worked out that when you're climbing, the weight is mostly on the rider, and those titanium bolts that shave 10g off your bike will make bot all difference in the real world, when that beer you just drank has increased your weight by 500g. If you have a can at the top of hartside (cool kids only), a pint in Garigill, and a couple in nenthead, there's 2kg extra you are carrying up the last hill of the day.

i have a MTB and a roadie and if i'm honest i'd get rid of the roadie for a cx bike in a heartbeat

Cheers mate.

I'm erring on the side of the MTB now to be honest. Just so I don't have to worry about any of the sections. It'll give me a better workout too I suppose :D
A lad did the whole lot on a CX 3 years ago, weather was good mind. The only really rough bit is out of Rookhope over the moors to Parkhead station. I absolutely hammered it 2 years ago and Flav went round the roads with his fully freighted tourer and pulled into the cafe at virtually the same time as me.
Would say Hybrid CX is probably the easiest to do it on, or a hard tail with trail tyres on. Did the 2nd 2 days 2 years ago on a full suspension mtb, with mtb tryes on though, and the smile factor on the rough bits made the ride brilliant.
Will be that or the CX for me this year depending on my fitness. Herbal is right mind roadie miles are completely different to MTB miles but saying that any miles are better than non.

i have a MTB and a roadie and if i'm honest i'd get rid of the roadie for a cx bike in a heartbeat
Having bought the CX, which I truly love, went out on the Roadie on Saturday and you still can't beat it.

Reactions: mux
A lad did the whole lot on a CX 3 years ago, weather was good mind. The only really rough bit is out of Rookhope over the moors to Parkhead station. I absolutely hammered it 2 years ago and Flav went round the roads with his fully freighted tourer and pulled into the cafe at virtually the same time as me.
Would say Hybrid CX is probably the easiest to do it on, or a hard tail with trail tyres on. Did the 2nd 2 days 2 years ago on a full suspension mtb, with mtb tryes on though, and the smile factor on the rough bits made the ride brilliant.
Will be that or the CX for me this year depending on my fitness. Herbal is right mind roadie miles are completely different to MTB miles but saying that any miles are better than non.

Having bought the CX, which I truly love, went out on the Roadie on Saturday and you still can't beat it.
Was that the year you and me both hammered the moors? I got a top 10 on Strava or something daft. It's since been annihilated mind.

How do I get old rides up on strava? Sure I was in the top 10 for the back of whinlatter
Also rookhope is horrible, absolutely horrible. That year it pissed down for the full three days it was like peddling up a river bed

How do I get old rides up on strava? Sure I was in the top 10 for the back of whinlatter
Also rookhope is horrible, absolutely horrible. That year it pissed down for the full three days it was like peddling up a river bed

how do you currently have your old rides recorded - on strava already?, on on something else (Garmin Connect etc)?

go to your training log, select the year you want to look at on the right hand side

(its not very clear to be honest)

:lol::lol: Über alert!!

I've done 10 miles, twice and had to put my lungs back in afterwards.

My recommended training plan for non-regular cyclists is 10 miles a couple of times a week, then increase it by 5 miles a ride each week til you reach about 30. Most people don't have time to ride more than 30. I organise a couple of 30ish rides the weeks beforehand, and the week before we always have a 50 mile jaunt to Hartlepool.
I don't ride on roads at all if I can help it, so all of my training rides are low mileage/high effort jobs eg tunstall/Penshaw hills. Probably not ideal for c2c mile munching but road riding bores me to tears. Last night was a seaburn - cleadon hills mudathon where I only averaged about 9mph. Oh, and don't train on a roadie if you're doing the ride on an mtb.
And if you are doing it on an mtb, do some proper off road training, especially mud and puddles.
There was one year where the moors were proper wet and I was amazed to find some riders had absolutely no idea how to ride it.

You will also piss it on a roadie when the mtb mob average about 10 mph.

Observe
https://www.strava.com/activities/157548310

for comparison, here is my strava for the same day (with no off-road), slightly different approach to Greystokes as well

https://www.strava.com/activities/542966437

Last edited:
That's the fun man.

how do you currently have your old rides recorded - on strava already?, on on something else (Garmin Connect etc)?
I uploaded all my old rides from Connect to Strava.

go to your training log, select the year you want to look at on the right hand side

(its not very clear to be honest)

for comparison, here is my strava for the same day (with no off-road), slightly different approach to Greystokes as well

https://www.strava.com/activities/542966437
Did you just fancy ignoring the c2c signs and making your own way like?
That loop just before you turn off the A66 is good cos there's a pub at the end, but is otherwise pointless.

Last edited:

The first time I went up Rookhope I thought I was doing fine until I realised I'd taken a wrong turn and branched off to the right so I had to go back to the bottom and start again. The next year I wasn't going to make the same mistake again, but got halfway up and realised I didn't have my water bottle and must have left it in the pub car park, rode all the way down to get it only to realise it was in my f***ing backpack all the time.

That's the fun man.

I uploaded all my old rides from Connect to Strava.

Did you just fancy ignoring the c2c signs and making your own way like?
That loop just before you turn off the A66 is good cos there's a pub at the end, but is otherwise pointless.

well after my first year in 2008 where i got separated from the group and ended up doing the Alt route up the old coach road i now just follow whoever is in front

and anything that gets you away from the A66 has got to be good

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back