Modern etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
They let you out ?

When I am in a pub - which happens quite often - I take the empty glasses back to the bar. Friends take the piss out of me for doing this but it just seems good manners plus bar staff remember it and I always get served quickly.

This. Although I have on occasion left a glass at a table in the hope that some bastard won't nick my table when I go up to get a pint.

One of my pet hates is people with no manners. It costs fuck all. I see people in shops etc and there's no please or thank you and it grates on me.

I was brought up to have manners and I'm damn sure my kids will be as well. My 4 year old always says please and thank you. I'd feel a failure if she didn't.

One of my pet hates is people with no manners. It costs fuck all. I see people in shops etc and there's no please or thank you and it grates on me.

I was brought up to have manners and I'm damn sure my kids will be as well. My 4 year old always says please and thank you. I'd feel a failure if she didn't.
My son gets nothing without a please and thankyou. He rarely forgets but only cause we stuck to it. Some of his friends are rude little shits though!

I work one night a week in a bar for a bit of extra cash, and if the person I'm serving doesn't say please, I will insist on them saying it otherwise I won't finish serving them.
You sound like an arse mate. If you demanded I say please I'd wait for someone else to serve me.

I would have anyway like.

My son gets nothing without a please and thankyou. He rarely forgets but only cause we stuck to it. Some of his friends are rude little shits though!

Same with my bairn.

Yet my mate's little lass doesn't think she has to, she was at ours a few months ago, I asked if they wanted a drink. mine said 'yes please' her mate said 'yeah'.

I brought a drink in for my bairn and her mate asked where hers was.

I said you didn't see please so you don't get one.

'please can I have a drink'....'Of course you can'

On me way outta Beamish last week I had to walk slowly behind this fella and some wifey who'd been on some sorta works day out and were dawdling aimlessly up the steps side by side talking to each other leaving no room to pass. A slight annoyance but nevermind. Once at the top I overtook and pressed on ahead to the gift shop. Once there I held the door for them as they weren't far behind. The wife just walked in oblivious, no thank you, kiss me arse nor owt. Didn't even acknowledge is, and in fact she looked the other way. Well I can tell you now I wish I'd slammed that fuckin' door in her ignorant fuckin' fyass the stupid cow.

It's nice to be nice.

But it's even nicer to be nasty, after you've been nice and your niceness isn't acknowledged.

Always hold the door open for people at work or if I'm out and about and someone is coming through behind me. Raise me hand to thank drivers for letting me cross etc. anarl and always flash people out at junctions etc. or thank someone for doing the same (hand up, flash hazard lights etc.).

Just how things should be done to me, don't even give it a second thought. Can't stand or understand it when other people don't do all or even any of the above, pure ignorance and when they don't acknowledge it it's just infuriating - wonder what's going through their minds when they walk through the door I'm holding for them.

Probably they are thinking "soft sod"! Ignorant twats, the lot of them.

Let some twat out yesterday near the big roundabout near the Empire. Not one attempt to acknowledge. Flashed the full beams for a good 15 seconds and did the auld sarcastic hand raise. The bloke didn't once look in his rearview. Overtook him at the crossroads near the Bridges and he purposely looked away from my glare. Utter cunt. Folk like him make me question why I actually try and be polite.

Costs nothing to be polite and courteous. I hold doors open, let cars out in traffic and stuff like that. Even if they don't acknowledge you, at least you know you're a decent person.

Same, it's very rarely returned, but that's just the state of the world we are in now.

This may be part of the reason but something I see loads is someone standing looking at their phone or else talking to someone over their shoulder, then set off walking in a direction several cardinal points away from the way they're facing. Then if they bump into you they look at you as if you were in the wrong. This happens more frequently by orders of magnitude either in airports or worse still in pubs. When I'm out on the lash I seem to be in constant defensive posture with an arm raised in front of me to fend these arseholes off. In airports I feel no objection to dropping the shoulder and body checking them. Often accompanied by me saying 'I hope you drive better than you walk!'
Courtesy out the window for a lot of people these days. Good to see there are some people left who weren't dragged up!

Amen to that! I frequently have to check myself from saying to some dizzy bint with a badly-controlled shopping trolley "Judging by the way you drive your trolley I sincerely hope you do not own a car!" :lol::lol:

Gives me a lovely warm and proud feeling when I hear my kids being polite and doing what good, decent people should do.

I pride mesell on good manners and doing the right thing towards others because like others have already said, it costs nowt.

Rule 195
Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
I.e. if you know there's a zebra crossing coming up, slow down. I do, why can't other drivers?
I do slow down. The point I'm trying to make (obviously badly) is that some pedestrians just walk out without looking or giving any prior indication that they are intending to cross when you are actually right on top of the crossing - almost as if they have right of way. It's clear from the Highway Code rules for pedestrians that they don't, but must wait until the vehicles have stopped, allowing them to cross. Some pedestrians see zebra crossings as a way of forcing traffic to stop for them even if it's not safe for the traffic to do so.

Start every sentence with so and end every sentence with mate

Nee mates like?

I don't know many people in Westhoughton to be honest.
That said, it doesn't stop me going for a pint to watch the match or read my book or whatever.
I go through to Manchester to see mates, but it's like pulling teeth to get people to come out to my neck of the woods sometimes

I don't know many people in Westhoughton to be honest.
That said, it doesn't stop me going for a pint to watch the match or read my book or whatever.
I go through to Manchester to see mates, but it's like pulling teeth to get people to come out to my neck of the woods sometimes
Fair enough mate. Sorry, had to be said ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back