Modern etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Of course, there's the awkward moment when you reach a zebra crossing just as a car does, and you either walk past or fumble in your pockets for your phone until the car has passed.

They should stop.

The amount of c**ts who don't stop at the zebra crossing near my flat is ridiculous. Lost count of how many times someone's just shot through as I'm crossing. Cyclists assuming no one's crossing and shooting out from behind a van is another one, makes you want to throw an iron bar through the spokes.

They should stop.

The amount of c**ts who don't stop at the zebra crossing near my flat is ridiculous. Lost count of how many times someone's just shot through as I'm crossing. Cyclists assuming no one's crossing and shooting out from behind a van is another one, makes you want to throw an iron bar through the spokes.

My personal fave is crossing a side street and someone turns in from the main road. I slow down if they looked pissed off.

i like to hold the door open for people that are a reasonable distance away from the door, forcing them to do a fast waddle like run towards the door to show appreciation for me holding it open
If someone does that to me I end up thanking them about 4 times by the time I get through the door.

I work one night a week in a bar for a bit of extra cash, and if the person I'm serving doesn't say please, I will insist on them saying it otherwise I won't finish serving them.
i've done this
I give motorists a thank you wave when they stop at a zebra crossing for me.
and this
Just shouted "you're welcome" after some woman I just held the door open who didn't say thanks.
and this.

my personal favourite is when you're walking down the street and some people refuse to move. both people should make a conscious effort to pass easily. some twats just don't make an effort, like they have some kind of right to walk on their path. so naturally i just stand there and say excuse me. normally really loud to make them feel awkward.

i like to hold the door open for people that are a reasonable distance away from the door, forcing them to do a fast waddle like run towards the door to show appreciation for me holding it open

I hate it when I've seen someone behind me out of the corner of my eye and hold the door, but then look and they're actually an unreasonable distance away. Once you've turned and looked at them, it's too late because it then looks like you're being rude even though they were so far away it wouldn't have been rude to just go through the door.

You're right though, most then do a silly little waddle because they realise the predicament you're in and empathise.

I work one night a week in a bar for a bit of extra cash, and if the person I'm serving doesn't say please, I will insist on them saying it otherwise I won't finish serving them.
I did the same to a supervisor at Nissan when I worked there. It takes nothing to use manners.

i've done this

and this

and this.

my personal favourite is when you're walking down the street and some people refuse to move. both people should make a conscious effort to pass easily. some twats just don't make an effort, like they have some kind of right to walk on their path. so naturally i just stand there and say excuse me. normally really loud to make them feel awkward.
I seem to be dodging from side to side as people walk straight at me. sometimes I feel like dipping my shoulder and putting them on their arse :evil:

Last edited:
They should stop.

To be fair, the pedestrian's supposed to wait until the vehicle has stopped before stepping onto the crossing. Not saying you're guilty of this but I've been in loads of situations where someone just steps onto a crossing in front of me and expects me to slam on the anchors, even when I'm right on top of the crossing and there's another car right up my arse, making it hazardous to stop.

I seem to be dodging from side to side as people walk straight at me. sometimes I feel like dipping my shoulder and putting them on their arse :evil:
This is my default setting when in the Metrocentre.

Always hold the door open for people at work or if I'm out and about and someone is coming through behind me. Raise me hand to thank drivers for letting me cross etc. anarl and always flash people out at junctions etc. or thank someone for doing the same (hand up, flash hazard lights etc.).

Just how things should be done to me, don't even give it a second thought. Can't stand or understand it when other people don't do all or even any of the above, pure ignorance and when they don't acknowledge it it's just infuriating - wonder what's going through their minds when they walk through the door I'm holding for them.
Probably too busy concentrating on the selfie-taking, most-important-thing-in-their-shallow-lives, that they're holding in their hand and gazing raptly at.

Last edited:
On me way outta Beamish last week I had to walk slowly behind this fella and some wifey who'd been on some sorta works day out and were dawdling aimlessly up the steps side by side talking to each other leaving no room to pass. A slight annoyance but nevermind. Once at the top I overtook and pressed on ahead to the gift shop. Once there I held the door for them as they weren't far behind. The wife just walked in oblivious, no thank you, kiss me arse nor owt. Didn't even acknowledge is, and in fact she looked the other way. Well I can tell you now I wish I'd slammed that fuckin' door in her ignorant fuckin' fyass the stupid cow.

It's nice to be nice.

They let you out ?

When I am in a pub - which happens quite often - I take the empty glasses back to the bar. Friends take the piss out of me for doing this but it just seems good manners plus bar staff remember it and I always get served quickly.

This is my default setting when in the Metrocentre.

Probably too busy concentrating on the selfie-taking, most-important-thing-in-their-shallow-lives, that they're holding in their hand and gazing raptly at.
This may be part of the reason but something I see loads is someone standing looking at their phone or else talking to someone over their shoulder, then set off walking in a direction several cardinal points away from the way they're facing. Then if they bump into you they look at you as if you were in the wrong. This happens more frequently by orders of magnitude either in airports or worse still in pubs. When I'm out on the lash I seem to be in constant defensive posture with an arm raised in front of me to fend these arseholes off. In airports I feel no objection to dropping the shoulder and body checking them. Often accompanied by me saying 'I hope you drive better than you walk!'
Courtesy out the window for a lot of people these days. Good to see there are some people left who weren't dragged up!

To be fair, the pedestrian's supposed to wait until the vehicle has stopped before stepping onto the crossing. Not saying you're guilty of this but I've been in loads of situations where someone just steps onto a crossing in front of me and expects me to slam on the anchors, even when I'm right on top of the crossing and there's another car right up my arse, making it hazardous to stop.

99% of the time I find it's drivers not paying attention to what's going on. There's a duty on the part of the driver to look out for pedestrians at zebra crossings and stop when they see them. Unfortunately a lot of the time they either don't pay attention or elect not to stop.

99% of the time I find it's drivers not paying attention to what's going on. There's a duty on the part of the driver to look out for pedestrians at zebra crossings and stop when they see them. Unfortunately a lot of the time they either don't pay attention or elect not to stop.
Possibly. But it's also true that there's a lot of pedestrians who just step straight onto a crossing without stopping first and checking to see if there's anything coming, thus giving the driver no hint or clue that they intend to cross. Even if you're only doing 20mph and are only 15 yards from a crossing it's difficult to stop in time if someone literally just steps onto the road in front of you with no prior warning - happens a lot at a particular zebra crossing near where I live.

The highway code rules for pedestrians state that they must not cross until it's safe to do so.

"Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing."

Possibly. But it's also true that there's a lot of pedestrians who just step straight onto a crossing without stopping first and checking to see if there's anything coming, thus giving the driver no hint or clue that they intend to cross. Even if you're only doing 20mph and are only 15 yards from a crossing it's difficult to stop in time if someone literally just steps onto the road in front of you with no prior warning - happens a lot at a particular zebra crossing near where I live.

The highway code rules for pedestrians state that they must not cross until it's safe to do so.

"Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing."

Rule 195
Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
I.e. if you know there's a zebra crossing coming up, slow down. I do, why can't other drivers?

Are you someone who holds doors open for others, and thanks someone else if it's done for you? Do you thank other motorists who let you out etc and do the same for others?
Or are you an ignorant, rude bastard and one of those people who seems to have no regard for anyone else?
Just shouted "you're welcome" after some woman I just held the door open who didn't say thanks. She looked back and gave me a look like I'd just shit on her couch.
Common courtesy. A dying trait??
Aye old school on all the above,don't even think about it,hardwired from young,blame parents

Rule 195
Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.
I.e. if you know there's a zebra crossing coming up, slow down. I do, why can't other drivers?

I've had at least two drivers (on the opposite side of the road) speed up after I've stepped on the crossing following the car on my side of the road stopping for me, meaning I've had to stop mid-crossing. Also had car stopping leaving plenty of room to his left for a cyclist who he'd just overtaken. That cyclist stopped but the one behind charged on through and almost knocked me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back