Mick McCarthy - Ipswich

Status
Not open for further replies.
always thought he did very well for us, kept us going after the 19 point season where had strict action not been taken things could of gone pear shaped, but he kept us going and then rebuild the team on pennys and won us the championship, fair enough we where hopeless at premership level a season later, but i will always be greatful to him for the play offs and the fa cup semi, and winning the league a year later not bad for his time here. from a team that looked dead and buried when he took over.

Played the worst football I can remember in over 50 years of following Sunderland under MicMac.Okay in the cut and thrust of the championship but hopeless tactically in the Premiership .
His style of football was worse than Poyets and that's saying something.

I like him as a bloke and as a pundit but he just doesn't buy the right players for the prem,.he's got a rare talent for the championship like, I'd bet he could put a team from non league together and they'd stay up in the championship.

Played his part in SAFC history, not only prevented a slide into the third tier but bounced us back up on next to no money. Always felt players liked and respected him. Apart from Nozza, his best bargain was Dean Whitehead, cost a few hundred thousand and could have been a decent captain if he'd sorted out his confidence issues.

I think that he's a decent manager BUT, when he is given some cash to spend, doesn't spend it wisely - think back to the players he wasted it on here, following promotion.

Granted, he wasn't given a fortune to spend but the way he allocated the funds at his disposal was ridiculous - £1.25m for Davis (as an example) was crazy, considering that we, already, had two good goalkeepers on the books!

Certain sources reckon it was bob Murray's doing getting rid of poom and mhyre (spelling?) because they were on big wages. Canny bit of buisness that. Not

Still a fan of McCarthy and believe he'll do well with Ipswich. They have a long term plan there and want to bring their youth players into the fold as much as possible. The owner has taken a back seat recently and that can only be a good thing for them. McCarthy does well with limited resources, and think he'll get them up with a bit of luck.

Cannot understand why any fan of this club has the time of day for him. Even without money he was an appalling manager. He should have been chased after his first 10 games or whatever in the 19 point season. 2 goals and couldn't even chalk on a point to at least show he might offer something.

Divides opinion no end, seems out of his depth in the premier league but can hold his own in the championship, kick teams on & earn promotion. Doesn't make him a poor manager IMO, managing in the English second tier to great success ='s a quality gaffer

Cannot understand why any fan of this club has the time of day for him. Even without money he was an appalling manager. He should have been chased after his first 10 games or whatever in the 19 point season. 2 goals and couldn't even chalk on a point to at least show he might offer something.
You've got a point about just how bad we were, but his track record suggests he's far from an appalling manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back