Metros After The Match

I find walking back to the town is the better option as the crowds at Stadium of Light station can be daft and you are trying to get onto a Metro with plenty of passengers already on it.
Oops….just read your additional info. Sorry.

Last edited:

About 25 minutes. If there's a lot of traffic, probably quicker than taxi. If you hang around the BCB after the match, St Peters will have reopened, and there won't be any queues.
At that stage is it better just getting the train rather than the metro?

Whatever we decide will be doing the same coming in too.

Train from Sunderland to Newcastle is definitely quicker. Only stops at Heworth. There's one at 1730 which means you can stay til the end of the match if you're a quick walker. Cheaper as well, I think. With an old gadgies railcard anyway

It's pretty easy I've done it a few times this season back to Gateshead. You can get a jog on to make sure you get the first one.

One thing I'd say is buy a ticket in advance, as they seem to hold a lot of people back to stop the platform getting crowded, then let you on when the train arrives. Expect a lot of people bump it if only on a few stops.
I always wonder that like, I use the Metro going back the other way towards South Hylton, I wonder how many people just jump on, it's incredibly easy to do I imagine.

Trying to manage the crowd flow & safety I believe, as long as I remember it's been Northbound - go to SoL station, Southbound - go to St Peters.

SoL metro often has long queues but there's plenty of space to stick people and block further access to the platform - St Peters you'd have safety issues with the stairs
So you have two exits away from Sunderland, so let's close one for safety reasons😝. It's like having two exits out of an arena but let's close one of them, it's more safer.

How long does it take to get from SoL station to Newcastle? Is it quicker in a taxi?

In BCB so crowds will have gone by the time we’re leaving.

Got a train from Newcastle back to Leeds at 8pm.
You've plenty time to get to central. Metro from sol about 17-10ish or 17-25ish gives you plenty time for a couple of beers while waiting for the 20-00 train. Do it regularly for trains to Doncaster or Sheffield.

After a home match .
The reason you CANT get on a metro at St Peters after a match is that the entrances are not safe to control crowds so they use the Stadium of Light station ( after the match ) because it has plenty of room to marshal the crowd in safe numbers . i.e. Lots of stewards about and its a big car park.
The journey to central station at Newcastle is about 25 minutes. Trains run about every 12 minutes and you will be packed in like a sardine in a can.
Its also possible to walk over the Bridge to Sunderland Station and get on there, but personally if your in a managed queue its better to be outside rather than underground at Sunderland station.

Alternative way .
Will take you about 15 - 20 mnutes to walk from the Stadium up to Seaburn Metro ( Bye pass the SOL Station ) . Lots will be getting off at Seaburn and you can then get on . You can always pop into The Grange Pub for a pint . Its about 3 minutes walk from Seaburn Metro.

After a home match .
The reason you CANT get on a metro at St Peters after a match is that the entrances are not safe to control crowds so they use the Stadium of Light station ( after the match ) because it has plenty of room to marshal the crowd in safe numbers . i.e. Lots of stewards about and its a big car park.
The journey to central station at Newcastle is about 25 minutes. Trains run about every 12 minutes and you will be packed in like a sardine in a can.
Its also possible to walk over the Bridge to Sunderland Station and get on there, but personally if your in a managed queue its better to be outside rather than underground at Sunderland station.

Alternative way .
Will take you about 15 - 20 mnutes to walk from the Stadium up to Seaburn Metro ( Bye pass the SOL Station ) . Lots will be getting off at Seaburn and you can then get on . You can always pop into The Grange Pub for a pint . Its about 3 minutes walk from Seaburn Metro.
If you're going to walk that time and / or have a beer then get better beer and go to vaux and then walk to SOL from there after the first metro has gone

Getting one straight after the match for the first time ever on Saturday.

Am I making this up, or do they not stop at the Stadium of Light towards Newcastle & everybody needs to get on at St Peter’s? Got a feeling I’ve read it somewhere. Dropping the bairn off at my Mam’s straight after & she’s round the corner from the SoL metro.

Add the Nexus Pop app to your phone, you’ll be able to get see what time next trains will be at SoL and St Peter’s Stations.

SOL metro to Central post-match approx 5;10 and 5;25 ish..We're booked on the 6;49pm Lumo from Central..Currently heading down on the 9;33 TPE from Edin. and it's chock full. LNER strike not helping match-day travel today..

Ended up getting on about 5:40pm from Seaburn. Don’t ask :rolleyes:

Was rammed, but we squeezed on. Loads of Millwall supporters who were all very nice lads. They said they were having a night out in Newcastle & it was a great city.

I said….

“It’s a shame they’re all f***ing cunts”

Then owa lass told me off.

Back