Maybes Steve Bruce is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been saying this since I joined this little sewing circle! North East fans are passionate but unfortunately that passion quickly turns to frustration and anger when things start going wrong.
Newcastle are worse than us mind but when it comes to delusion we are a competitive second! Not that anybody wants to hear this mind so be prepared for some rather curt responses.
Fact is that the two managers who've had the most bile and anger aimed at them in the last 15 years are the two managers who've given us our best top flight finishes in 50 year!
Poyet was a hero with talk of statues in March! Come April quite a few on here wanted him out! Then of course come May he was a hero again! :lol:
The North East is a hotbed of delusion in afraid!
Tbf Bruce has not been criticised for finishing tenth but for the awful run we went on which he had to go for and the complete bollocks he's spouted since

This is what I find most bizarre, few at the match know or give a fuck about this board. A few whinging on here in no way reflects the average match day going fan...

Of the 6-7 I attend the match with none post on here, none think we should be top ten or challenging for Europe. All thought we'd struggle this year, none boo at the match or burn effigies of Short and Byrne..
I'm the only one of about 10 who posts (or knows about this place) on here n'arl.

What a load of shite.

We have been surpassed by Southampton,Swansea,West Ham, Stoke.

Whilst they are in the Championship, even Blackburn, Bolton and Fulham have had excellent success compared to Sunderland. How did they get on in the last 50 years?
In what way have we been surpassed by west ham and stoke? Swansea have had a relative meteoric rise whilst for the last 40 year or so Southampton have more than matched us anyway.
Blackburn had at the time a mega rich chairman who bankrolled them whilst Bolton and Fulham had similair spells to what we had under Reid. Results both before those spells and after have shown them to be the exception rather than the norm.

I'm the only one of about 10 who posts (or knows about this place) on here n'arl.

I dunno wtf this expectations nonsense comes from. I want us to look like we can score away at Burnley, QPR and when you say so it's having expectations higher than they should be :lol:

In what way have we been surpassed by west ham and stoke? Swansea have had a relative meteoric rise whilst for the last 40 year or so Southampton have more than matched us anyway.
Blackburn had at the time a mega rich chairman who bankrolled them whilst Bolton and Fulham had similair spells to what we had under Reid. Results both before those spells and after have shown them to be the exception rather than the norm.
I don't think West Ham or Stoke have surpassed us at all either like.

Stoke - finish above us season after season,reached Wembley before us. We don't do anything better than them.

West Ham - Finish above us last two seasons. Spent a fortune this season, moving to a shiny new Olympic stadium where they will be challenging the likes of Spurs and Everton not Sunderland.

Swansea - Were a 3rd division club,always below Sunderland. Now are a team with structure again always finishing above Sunderland with a cup win.

Blackburn - had a rich owner, also had a good spell under Hughes when money was tight, won a cup played in Europe without Jack Walker.

Bolton and Fulhams success was much more long lasting than Reids two seasons :lol: Bolton qualified for Europe, Fulham reached a European final. They were in the premiership for a long sustained period with success. Our 7 seasons in the premiership have all been worse than those clubs achievements and we have the better history in the last 50 years.

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/spor..._39_unrealistic_North_East_expectations__39_/

It's a lot better than last season, but still you lot moan.

do you expect a couple of new signings to suddenly take that shit squad into a mid table team? we're also not a club with endless amounts of money to lash about, and we're never going to attract top top players.

Think some of you need a reality check, you's have unrealistic expectations.

Tin hat on!
How it wanting to be free from relegation scraps unrealistic?

Swansea,Stoke,Southampton have managed to do it after coming up and having new players just slot in spending less money than us in the process.

2 points from games against Burnley,QPR,West Brom is simply not good enough, the reason we were so close to relegation last year is cos we failed to beat teams around us. We've played utter shite in every game and it's only really van aanholt and rodwell that have started games that are new, so thats a poor excuse.

Stoke - finish above us season after season,reached Wembley before us. We don't do anything better than them.

West Ham - Finish above us last two seasons. Spent a fortune this season, moving to a shiny new Olympic stadium where they will be challenging the likes of Spurs and Everton not Sunderland.

Swansea - Were a 3rd division club,always below Sunderland. Now are a team with structure again always finishing above Sunderland with a cup win.

Blackburn - had a rich owner, also had a good spell under Hughes when money was tight, won a cup played in Europe without Jack Walker.

Bolton and Fulhams success was much more long lasting than Reids two seasons :lol: Bolton qualified for Europe, Fulham reached a European final. They were in the premiership for a long sustained period with success. Our 7 seasons in the premiership have all been worse than those clubs achievements and we have the better history in the last 50 years.
Stoke - pretty much 50/50 in terms of highest finishes since back on league I think but we are similar clubs over last 50 year so no surprise really.

West ham - we've had a longer run in top flight than them (they were in championship 3 season back). How on earth do you know they'll be challenging spurs, everton or the top half when they've never suggested doing that apart from a third place finish in the 80s? They've been similar to us in last 50 year also.

Swansea - like I said they've had a meteoric rise and play some good stuff. Been well managed from top to bottom. The only good example you give of what might have been for us.

Blackburn - Hughes done well and got them a league cup (perhaps with easier opposition we could have, who knows) but they are now camped in the championship so I certainly wouldn't swap and same goes for Bolton and Fulham.

Have I said I'd expect anything except to look like we know what we are doing on the pitch?

Did you watch that yesterday? We have no f***ing idea as soon as we get over half way. I expect more than that, if that's delusional then I'm guilty.

I never expect a win, but I expect us to at least look like we have some idea.

And please don't tell me what I mean, my post made it quite clear what I mean.
I didn't watch yesterday but I know that if PVA shot flies in then this message board is a much brighter place despite the performance still being poor and our problems still being apparent.
To suggest we don't know what we are doing despite keeping a clean sheet away from home in premier league is extremely disrespectful as well.
Any point away from home for a bottom half side is a decent result and given how we've played this season and pretty much every one since we came back up (mediocre) then I see no reason for the massive inquest to be honest.

Last edited:
Stoke - pretty much 50/50 in terms of highest finishes since back on league I think but we are similar clubs over last 50 year so no surprise really.

West ham - we've had a longer run in top flight than them (they were in championship 3 season back). How on earth do you know they'll be challenging spurs, everton or the top half when they've never suggested doing that apart from a third place finish in the 80s? They've been similar to us in last 50 year also.

Swansea - like I said they've had a meteoric rise and play some good stuff. Been well managed from top to bottom. The only good example you give of what might have been for us.

Blackburn - Hughes done well and got them a league cup (perhaps with easier opposition we could have, who knows) but they are now camped in the championship so I certainly wouldn't swap and same goes for Bolton and Fulham.

We have finished once above Stoke since they came up, so that's not true.

Blackburn have had a league win,champions league football, league Cup and Europa, I would swap with any Blackburn fan of the last 30 years to have those memories.

Same goes for Bolton and Fulham who are only in the Championship, hardly a million miles away from being in same league as us. You've clearly got an agenda so well leave at that.

I didn't watch yesterday but I know that if PVA shot flies in then this message board is a much brighter place despite the performance still being poor and our problems still being apparent.
To suggest we don't know what we are doing despite keeping a clean sheet away from home in premier league is extremely disrespectful as well.
Any point away from home for a bottom half side is a decent result and given how we've played this season and pretty much every one since we came back up (mediocre) then I see no reason for the massive inquest to be honest.

So I'm discussing how bad we looked yesterday to a bloke that didn't even watch the game...

Right seeing as your getting confused, I expect us to look like we can maybe score a goal(or even create a chance) against Burnley. That is about the limit of my expectations, I don't expect to win or beat them 5 or 6 nil.

I can't speak for the rest, just myself. So are my expectations unrealistic?

And yesterday once we passed the half way line we didn't know what to do, that's not disrespectful that's just what I witnessed watching them.

I think my expectations are quite reasonable.

We have finished once above Stoke since they came up, so that's not true.

Blackburn have had a league win,champions league football, league Cup and Europa, I would swap with any Blackburn fan of the last 30 years to have those memories.

Same goes for Bolton and Fulham who are only in the Championship, hardly a million miles away from being in same league as us. You've clearly got an agenda so well leave at that.
Finished above Stoke twice so that's not true.
Blackburn had majority of their success due to a mega rich owner. Yes I'd love that as well but that isn't down to good management their end and bad ours.
So you'd swap places with Bolton and Fulham would you?
What agenda do I have by the way?

Where is your crystal ball?

I find it puzzling that people are surprised at the perceived unrealistic expectations football fans have.
Do they know anything about football fans?

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/spor..._39_unrealistic_North_East_expectations__39_/

It's a lot better than last season, but still you lot moan.

do you expect a couple of new signings to suddenly take that shit squad into a mid table team? we're also not a club with endless amounts of money to lash about, and we're never going to attract top top players.

Think some of you need a reality check, you's have unrealistic expectations.

Tin hat on!

Bruce was sacked because his record was getting worse. The Wigan game was when the frustration turned to anger. There was no campaign or protests, just the fans finally losing patience with a very average manager who was out of his depth.

He sounds like he has a problem with the north east.

So I'm discussing how bad we looked yesterday to a bloke that didn't even watch the game...

Right seeing as your getting confused, I expect us to look like we can maybe score a goal(or even create a chance) against Burnley. That is about the limit of my expectations, I don't expect to win or beat them 5 or 6 nil.

I can't speak for the rest, just myself. So are my expectations unrealistic?

And yesterday once we passed the half way line we didn't know what to do, that's not disrespectful that's just what I witnessed watching them.

I think my expectations are quite reasonable.
At first you said you expected us to be competitive against QPR and Burnley which we were. I never saw yesterday's game but by all accounts they weren't any better and neither were QPR really who were both at home!
You then say I expect us to look like scoring I'd say Wickham had a reasonable chance and PVA cracking the post surely counts as looking like scoring doesn't it?
Your expectations are your expectations, do as you please with them but history (and our form this season) tells you that you aren't going to get much joy as an away fan following Sunderland in the premier league I'm afraid.

A lot of the frustration comes from the perceived way other clubs are being run. They buy players who make an immediate impact and settle in quickly. The general rule at SAFC has been to buy shite/unfit/inexperienced players and then spend most of the season wheeling out the now traditional excuses of "it takes tome for a team to gel/players to settle in" which appeared regularly during Bruce's tenure.

The north east is NOT the problem when attracting players. Look at the players who have played for Newcastle and Middlesbrough over the last 20 years, However, we seem to spend an inordinate amount time chasing average players and haggling over pennies, while other clubs are using their pre-seasons to bed in players.

I want Gus to succeed and he is heading in the right direction, but the results so far have been poor this season. We played Burnley yesterday not Arsenal and should have taken them apart, however, as soon as AJ went off, the game was over for us. Our strikers are virtually non existent and why Altidore is still at the club and in the PL is question that even the commentators were asking, so we're not going to be battering teams this season.

The players are only motivated when they play the so called big teams or when the penny finally drops and they realise the club is in real danger of going down and it already looks like they've started again.

I'd love a season where we are safe as soon as possible, but unless we improve, Gus will be in the same situation as last time.

At first you said you expected us to be competitive against QPR and Burnley which we were. I never saw yesterday's game but by all accounts they weren't any better and neither were QPR really who were both at home!
You then say I expect us to look like scoring I'd say Wickham had a reasonable chance and PVA cracking the post surely counts as looking like scoring doesn't it?
Your expectations are your expectations, do as you please with them but history (and our form this season) tells you that you aren't going to get much joy as an away fan following Sunderland in the premier league I'm afraid.

My expectations are not high, in fact very low I'd say. As are the vast majority of our fans.

We might have competed defensively but as an attacking force we didn't and neither did we at QPR. Yesterday we were woeful, as pretty much everyone who watched it will say the same.

As an attacking force yesterday was embarrassing again, I was there and it was woeful. A half chance and a shot off the post in 90 minutes. We have few ideas once we laboriously enter the opponents half of the field, it's clear to see.

I'll wait until you've watched the game, your commenting on something you haven't even seen yet tbf..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back