Manuel Neuer

Status
Not open for further replies.

What rule is this?
Its always been the law of the game. Never has there been a law that says "he got the ball first". If you make contact with the other player in such a way as to trip, impede or kick, even after winning the ball, its a foul. Always has been. Once again, commentators make this all worse when they think its ok to win the ball first no matter what happens next.

You can't win the ball then elbow someone in the face can u , people think because u get the ball the rest doesn't matter !

What is this elbow you keep going on about? It was a slide tackle and no elbows were involved.

Of course you can't elbow someone in the face and expect to get away with it.

I thought a follow through was only a foul if it's reckless/excessive force? If he gets the ball FIRST then it's not a foul (in all cases isn't it?) I think.

That's just simply not true mate.

Its always been the law of the game. Never has there been a law that says "he got the ball first". If you make contact with the other player in such a way as to trip, impede or kick, even after winning the ball, its a foul. Always has been. Once again, commentators make this all worse when they think its ok to win the ball first no matter what happens next.

Hmm, I know what you're saying but I just don't think that's the case. You're reading the laws a little too literally.

And this is coming from someone who would usually be on your side of the argument, btw.

So u can head the ball then elbow someone in the face and smash there cheekbone but u got the ball so its ok! Neur is a wanker he's dangerous and I can guarentee he will seriously injure someone soon the way he comes out

I clearly said a follow through with excessive force was a foul?

What is this elbow you keep going on about? It was a slide tackle and no elbows were involved.

Hmm, I know what you're saying but I just don't think that's the case. You're reading the laws a little too literally.

And this is coming from someone who would usually be on your side of the argument, btw.

I worded it badly mate, I meant unless the follow through is excessive force or reckless or whatever the new word is, if he gets the ball first he can say catch the strikers foot and bring him down but since he got the ball before contact it would be ok?

You can two foot the ball itself and be sent off for excessive force/dangerous play.

Yeah actually I didn't think about that, but what I meant (and explained badly) was that if you got the ball first you could, say, trip someone with your trailing leg but if you cleanly win the ball first it's not a foul?

I clearly said a follow through with excessive force was a foul?

I worded it badly mate, I meant unless the follow through is excessive force or reckless or whatever the new word is, if he gets the ball first he can say catch the strikers foot and bring him down but since he got the ball before contact it would be ok?

Yeah actually I didn't think about that, but what I meant (and explained badly) was that if you got the ball first you could, say, trip someone with your trailing leg but if you cleanly win the ball first it's not a foul?

I think it's quite ambiguous really; I've always said common sense should prevail and each case be judged on its merits.

Yeah there's not really any specifics but as a general rule I think taking the ball first and catching someone is fine, unless its with excessive force, or obviously the example @jsdftm04 gave

Yeah there's not really any specifics but as a general rule I think taking the ball first and catching someone is fine, unless its with excessive force, or obviously the example @jsdftm04 gave

There are plenty of people who genuinely seem to think that so long as you get the ball first, anything goes.

Absolutely daft.

Only on the smb......there is no debate at all it was a blatant foul, Porto player was passed him for a tap in and Neuer took him out. Red card and penalty was the correct decision.

Only on the smb......there is no debate at all it was a blatant foul, Porto player was passed him for a tap in and Neuer took him out. Red card and penalty was the correct decision.

Well done for failing to acknowledge that Neuer won the ball...

Only on the SMB indeed.

There was a directive last year, and I've been trying to find it, where the refs were told that any tackle that involved contact even after the ball would be punished. Lots of people were discussing it at the start of this season? Or was it last?

There was a directive last year, and I've been trying to find it, where the refs were told that any tackle that involved contact even after the ball would be punished. Lots of people were discussing it at the start of this season? Or was it last?

Not sure, but that sounds completely unworkable.

Not sure, but that sounds completely unworkable.
I'm going through FIFA instructions here, talk about boring reading! Anyway, what I did find was their current guidance on handballs, which I think this forum needs as a damn sticky!

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:
the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

This is what my Saturday nights have come to :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back