Mags in for Downing

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know

I coudn't give a flying fuck how much he leaves for if he does well!
We need a system that buys and sells players that is not constantly draining our financial position ( we have done this for the past 8 years and other clubs smaller than us have done their business much better)as in the end it will ruin us........your way is short-termism and while it may give you a few good players it will not last!... as a team made up of ageing players looking for a last payday is not a good plan IMHO......Downing is a good player who had a good season last year but 6 million for a 30 year old is to much in anyones book and Dick has commented in the press how we have not been prudent in the transfer market over the last 8 years so something does not sound right.....3-4 million is about right for a pacy winger entering his third decade!...................

We need a system that buys and sells players that is not constantly draining our financial position ( we have done this for the past 8 years and other clubs smaller than us have done their business much better)as in the end it will ruin us........your way is short-termism and while it may give you a few good players it will not last!... as a team made up of ageing players looking for a last payday is not a good plan IMHO......Downing is a good player who had a good season last year but 6 million for a 30 year old is to much in anyones book and Dick has commented in the press how we have not been prudent in the transfer market over the last 8 years so something does not sound right.....3-4 million is about right for a pacy winger entering his third decade!...................
What you say it would work IF we had a decent scouting department, but we don't, that's the reality. Other clubs buy Clyne, we buy Vergini, other clubs buy Gudjohnsen, we buy Rodwell, other clubs buy Bony, we buy Jozy and Scocco. I would prefer to sign one or two certain performers of any age and making gambles after that.

Good post.

We get similar folk on our forum talking about £7m and saying it's nothing to us as if we should be throwing that kind of money around like confetti. Arsenal have far more money but still want a £2m fee just to loan Carl Jenkinson out. As the GB cycling coach Dave Brailsford would say say it's about the aggregation of marginal gains.

I look at a club like Sunderland who has big crowds and been in the Premier League for almost a decade. I don't see many assets as players you have especially compared to other clubs who have been regulars in the PL for a few years.

Buying Stewart Downing will cost you the best part of £15m over three years and he'll be worthless at the end of it. It's terrible value and the continuation of signings like that will eventually see you relegated as your peers pull further ahead. I can't justify in my head if West Ham buy Payet for £10.7m that Downing is worth £7m when he's likely a worse player and two years older and surplus to West Ham.

The only way I would think Downing is a justifiable buy is if he's the difference between relegation and survival this season.

What you say it would work IF we had a decent scouting department, but we don't, that's the reality. Other clubs buy Clyne, we buy Vergini, other clubs buy Gudjohnsen, we buy Rodwell, other clubs buy Bony, we buy Jozy and Scocco. I would prefer to sign one or two certain performers of any age and making gambles after that.

The lesson there is sort your scouting team out or accept the inevitability of relegation in the near future.

As one of the financially poorer sides in the PL you can't keep surrendering value and keep getting away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good post.

We get similar folk on our forum talking about £7m and saying it's nothing to us as if we should be throwing that kind of money around like confetti. Arsenal have far more money but still want a £2m fee just to loan Carl Jenkinson out. As the GB cycling coach Dave Brailsford would say say it's about the aggregation of marginal gains.

I look at a club like Sunderland who has big crowds and been in the Premier League for almost a decade. I don't see many assets as players you have especially compared to other clubs who have been regulars in the PL for a few years.

Buying Stewart Downing will cost you £15m over three years and he'll be worthless at the end of it. It's terrible value and the contination of signings like that will eventually see you relegated as your peers pull further ahead. I can't justify in my head if West Ham buy Payet for £10.7m that Downing is worth £7m when he's likely a worse player and two years older and surplus to West Ham.

The only way I would think Downing is a justifiable buy is if he's the difference between relegation and survival this season.
can't see him costing anywhere near £7m, I dont think we are daft enough to pay it. Then again how much a player is worth is always a debate on here, in essence its got sod all to do with us nor should it be. It looks like we are scouting in the dutch and eastern european market for decent value now, in the past we have bought proven premier league/British players at top prices and its got us nowhere. Though getting players to come here is really hard and probably always will be, SAFC is a big club in the UK but outside of that nobody has probably heard of us. Having a proven manager like Dick will help us immensly attract better players, our previous managers, since the year dot, did not have the European experience or reputation.

The lesson there is sort your scouting team out or accept the inevitability of relegation in the near future.

As one of the financially poorer sides in the PL you can't keep surrendering value and keep getting away with it.

I hope we do, but as it stands we're extremely poor in that department, we've lost a fortune trying to be clever and sign players with "resale value", not to mention almost going down. Until we sort it out I hope we also sign a few players who could improve us right away, not only young ones. 7m for Downing is too much IMO, they can't ask that much for him. 5m is fair enough ( if we sign him I think it would be around that), considering we could end up with a 10m new version of Rodwell or a 9m Kramaric.;)

I hope we do, but as it stands we're extremely poor in that department, we've lost a fortune trying to be clever and sign players with "resale value", not to mention almost going down. Until we sort it out I hope we also sign a few players who could improve us right away, not only young ones. 7m for Downing is too much IMO, they can't ask that much for him. 5m is fair enough ( if we sign him I think it would be around that), considering we could end up with a 10m new version of Rodwell or a 9m Kramaric.;)

There are only several hundred players in the world who wouldn't go to Sunderland. You're about 30th in the world on income.

There will be loads of little gems out there you just need the right people to be able to spot them and dig them out. It's easier said than done as you're competing with every other club to do the same thing. Signing established and rejected players is more times than not a recipe for failure. I'm convinced the blueprint for progression is to sign up and coming players from lesser leagues and teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only several hundred players in the world who wouldn't go to Sunderland. You're about 30th in the world on income.

There will be loads of little gems out there you just need the right people to be able to spot them and dig them out. It's easier said than done as you're competing with every other club to do the same thing. Signing established and rejected players is more times than not a recipe for failure player. I'm convinced the blueprint for progression is to sign up and coming players from lesser leagues and teams.
First of all I've just said we don't have the right people to spot players. Secondly, Downing isn't a "rejected player", he was one of WHU's top performers last season.

First of all I've just said we don't have the right people to spot players. Secondly, Downing isn't a "rejected player", he was one of WHU's top performers last season.

I'm certainly not saying he's a bad player but he is a rejected player.

A mid table club have replaced him with a better younger player and now he's been relegated to a squad player.

They want to cash in on the 30 year old and recoup 66% of the fee they just paid to buy the younger better player.

It looks like a great bit of business by West Ham.

The same Downing that you are after ?

Fuck off man you're a terrible troll.

The same Downing that you are after ?

Fuck off man you're a terrible troll.

FFS why are Sunderland fans so precious?

The exact same thing applies to Leicester, I don't want my club to buy him either for the same reasons. :rolleyes:

Leicester Fan said:

There will be loads of little gems out there you just need the right people to be able to spot them and dig them out. It's easier said than done as you're competing with every other club to do the same thing. Signing established and rejected players is more times than not a recipe for failure. I'm convinced the blueprint for progression is to sign up and coming players from lesser leagues and teams.
Up and coming players like Cambiasso?

I'm certainly not saying he's a bad player but he is a rejected player.

A mid table club have replaced him with a better younger player and now he's been relegated to a squad player.

They want to cash in on the 30 year old and recoup 66% of the fee they just paid to buy the younger better player.

It looks like a great bit of business by West Ham.
f***ing hell mate, you'd think Leicester were AC Milan :lol: I get what you are saying but its quite laughable from a Leicester fan. You'd think you had the morale high ground here, Leicester would love to have him as would 60-70% of the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back