Local league football

Status
Not open for further replies.

4 wire man

Such as the Wearside League and the Durham Alliance league, do they charge admission? Anyone know how much? Just wondering after reading an article in the Echo about TWR sponsoring a League Cup. Do the players get paid? Refs must be paid expenses I would have thought.If they don't charge admission where does the money to travel,pay insurance, kit etc come from?

Wearside League charge admission, I think 2 or 3 quid.
The money usually comes from the hard work of the volunteers who run the clubs.
Sportsman's Dinners, raffles,match day cards etc. or if a team is lucky a generous sponsor.
Referees and their assistants are paid expenses and some teams in the Wearside League pay the players although I'd probably say most don't.

Such as the Wearside League and the Durham Alliance league, do they charge admission? Anyone know how much? Just wondering after reading an article in the Echo about TWR sponsoring a League Cup. Do the players get paid? Refs must be paid expenses I would have thought.If they don't charge admission where does the money to travel,pay insurance, kit etc come from?
Probably not until the Northern League first division where payment of players is at most clubs. But there will be a lot being paid in the second division and a few in the Wearside League

I'm playing wearside league at the moment and there are only a handful of teams that do pay in our league i.e Stockton. Refs and linesmen are paid each game by the home team. Majority of the clubs money is from sponsors and things such as running lotteries, football cards etc. The players pay there £5 insurance money at the start of the season (don't know if this is all clubs). We only charge £2 on the gate as well. Also have a little cafe running at home games for food and drink too

Durham Alliance is almost all free. Might get caught with a raffle.

Wearside League is £2-4. And with a team of officials costing £80-£100 dependant on travel expenses every body through the turnstile helps.

As for players there's three clubs paying money to every player and another half dozen paying the chosen few "superstars".

This level of football will be lucky to survive the next 4 or 5 years unless the FA and County FAs help reduce costs.

Be a real shame.

Durham Alliance is almost all free. Might get caught with a raffle.

Wearside League is £2-4. And with a team of officials costing £80-£100 dependant on travel expenses every body through the turnstile helps.

As for players there's three clubs paying money to every player and another half dozen paying the chosen few "superstars".

This level of football will be lucky to survive the next 4 or 5 years unless the FA and County FAs help reduce costs.

Be a real shame.
You're right about surviving mate, but don't expect any action from the Durham FA.
Beneath Wearside League level there's now not one adult Saturday league operating in Sunderland or it's surrounding areas, and the Durham FA have sat on their hands and did fuck all.
I can name the leagues that have gone in the last 20 odd years or so.
The Wearside Combination, The Sunderland & District League, The Houghton & District League, The Washington League, The Hetton CIU League, The Tyne & Wear League and The North Eastern Amateur League.
All gone it's quite frightening really, and I also don't think it's any coincidence that it's happened with the rise of the Premiership and sky, which seems to be the be all.

I can add another three leagues to the above ( although perhaps a little more than 20 years ago )..........Seaham and District League, Auckland and District League, and the Durham and District League.

There's nothing left now.

You're right about surviving mate, but don't expect any action from the Durham FA.
Beneath Wearside League level there's now not one adult Saturday league operating in Sunderland or it's surrounding areas, and the Durham FA have sat on their hands and did fuck all.
I can name the leagues that have gone in the last 20 odd years or so.
The Wearside Combination, The Sunderland & District League, The Houghton & District League, The Washington League, The Hetton CIU League, The Tyne & Wear League and The North Eastern Amateur League.
All gone it's quite frightening really, and I also don't think it's any coincidence that it's happened with the rise of the Premiership and sky, which seems to be the be all.

Couldn't agree more.

Add in longer opening hours and the rise of Goals and such 6 aside leagues and lads have other "priorities".

Without a couple good sponsorships or a benefactor with deepish pockets and a love of the game the rot has well and truly set in!

I'm playing wearside league at the moment and there are only a handful of teams that do pay in our league i.e Stockton. Refs and linesmen are paid each game by the home team. Majority of the clubs money is from sponsors and things such as running lotteries, football cards etc. The players pay there £5 insurance money at the start of the season (don't know if this is all clubs). We only charge £2 on the gate as well. Also have a little cafe running at home games for food and drink too
Do you play for westend?

Had the best years of my life playing football in the local leagues.
Wearside League Div 1 was my pinnacle , for a couple of seasons.
Great days , sometimes wish I was 20 years younger again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back