Lets cut our losses with Connor Wickham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets get this right now to avoid any confusion in the future. You're not being called for having an opinion. You're being called because your opinion is baseless, wrong and down to you having a vendetta about a player. It's a myth that's been perpetuated for too long that everyone's opinion is valid- it is not, especially yours.
You had a previous thread pointing out he'll never be as good as the "second tier" strikers in the Premier League which was roundly pulled to pieces by the fact all your examples of "second tier strikers" had very similar goalscoring records at his age. You didn't take that into account and let it inform your argument, instead you have now moved onto some spurious rumours that are most likely bullshite.
Opinions are opinions and I think everyone is entitled to one. He is a "second tier" striker not only to me by many here. He will never come good and only time will tell but the more time defending a bloke who lacks even some of the basics makes me wonder...perhaps this is why we are always worrying about relegation instead of fighting for the Championship league spot. Difference between us and teams like the Spurs and Everton is that while they are constantly evolving, we are in a quagmire thinking this well all turn out good and give the lads time. He has a bad attitude and nothing will change my mind about how he might turn out fine as while Ronaldo and Messi have the drive to succeed and hard work ethics as well as natural ability an players like Anelka and Bony have natural ability while lacking drive, Connor has none of the three. No drive to succeed, no natural ability and no hard work ethics. Must have at least one to be a starting Striker in the PL.

Opinions are opinions and I think everyone is entitled to one. He is a "second tier" striker not only to me by many here. He will never come good and only time will tell but the more time defending a bloke who lacks even some of the basics makes me wonder...perhaps this is why we are always worrying about relegation instead of fighting for the Championship league spot. Difference between us and teams like the Spurs and Everton is that while they are constantly evolving, we are in a quagmire thinking this well all turn out good and give the lads time. He has a bad attitude and nothing will change my mind about how he might turn out fine as while Ronaldo and Messi have the drive to succeed and hard work ethics as well as natural ability an players like Anelka and Bony have natural ability while lacking drive, Connor has none of the three. No drive to succeed, no natural ability and no hard work ethics. Must have at least one to be a starting Striker in the PL.
if you don't think he works hard you were never at qpr or west brom for example how do you know what drive he has

Everyone's entitled to one, but not everyone's is valid. Your post here being a prime example, as you've said "nothing can change your mind", why discuss it then?
He's not going to be Ronaldo, Messi, Anelka or Bony so we should get shot of him?! Jesus wept, you're a moron.
For what it's worth- Bony had 30 goals for Sparta Prague at Wickhams age where he has 36. Even Anelka only had 49 and Ronaldo 55 although at a higher level.
To compare to other Premier League strikers career goals at 21 to show how ludicrous it is to write off a promising young striker.
Jelevis- 10 goals
Diego Costa- 29
Ulloa- 7
Aguero- 78
Pelle- 17
Naismith- 35
Dzeko- 33

Do I need to go on??

Everyone's entitled to one, but not everyone's is valid. Your post here being a prime example, as you've said "nothing can change your mind", why discuss it then?
He's not going to be Ronaldo, Messi, Anelka or Bony so we should get shot of him?! Jesus wept, you're a moron.
For what it's worth- Bony had 30 goals for Sparta Prague at Wickhams age where he has 36. Even Anelka only had 49 and Ronaldo 55 although at a higher level.
To compare to other Premier League strikers career goals at 21 to show how ludicrous it is to write off a promising young striker.
Jelevis- 10 goals
Diego Costa- 29
Ulloa- 7
Aguero- 78
Pelle- 17
Naismith- 35
Dzeko- 33

Do I need to go on??
Yes you should go on as CW will not match any of the mentioned striker when he reaches 25 or even 30...Promising? I beg to differ and I think the most astute fans will now agree. You can see in all these strikers they have one of 5 qualities even at a young age. Good dribbling, shooting, header, movement without the ball or pace. Connor has stopped progressing and you learn these tools and refine it by 20 or 21....not 25. I am just saying the sooner we cut our losses the better. Nothing against the lad but unlike US Baseball or even golf, you are pretty much a finished product at 22 or 23. He does keep the head down like a good golfer when he passes or shoots as many have mentioned.

Yes you should go on as CW will not match any of the mentioned striker when he reaches 25 or even 30...Promising? I beg to differ and I think the most astute fans will now agree. You can see in all these strikers they have one of 5 qualities even at a young age. Good dribbling, shooting, header, movement without the ball or pace. Connor has stopped progressing and you learn these tools and refine it by 20 or 21....not 25. I am just saying the sooner we cut our losses the better. Nothing against the lad but unlike US Baseball or even golf, you are pretty much a finished product at 22 or 23. He does keep the head down like a good golfer when he passes or shoots as many have mentioned.
Bonkers, if you think a striker peaks at 23 you have no understanding of the game whatsoever. Every example I've given has just proven that. How many more do you need before you accept you're talking pish?
How about Kevin Phillips? Darren Bent? Ian Wright? Karim Benzema? Alan Shearer? Teddy Sheringham?

I'd love to know how many times you saw anyone on my previous list other than Aguero play before they were 21 so you can tell me exactly which of your 5 qualities they possessed at such a young age too.

Bonkers, if you think a striker peaks at 23 you have no understanding of the game whatsoever. Every example I've given has just proven that. How many more do you need before you accept you're talking pish?
How about Kevin Phillips? Darren Bent? Ian Wright? Karim Benzema? Alan Shearer? Teddy Sheringham?

I'd love to know how many times you saw anyone on my previous list other than Aguero play before they were 21 so you can tell me exactly which of your 5 qualities they possessed at such a young age too.
A

I think you're fighting a losing argument. Jimmy Salami didn't say he'd peaked. He stresses that of all of the portfolio of abilities that players possess naturally then refine over time, CW has none. He's of the X-Factor generation.....no graft, no hard work, just a desire for instant gratification and quick win success. I struggle to see what CW is good at that will be fruitful in the future. Even at Ipswich he wasn't prolific and was played out on the left.

They all had a thing or two marra. Does CW have pace like Wright or Bent? Does he have the shooting sense of Phillips or Shearer? Does he have without the ball movement of Sheringham? Does he have the fighting spirit of Benzema? All these lads I saw they were young and had this. And it's really insane to compare these players to our head down, slow moving but I am good in my opinion....I love myself but not the team so please call me Mr. Wickham you trolls who worship me and let you sweat before I sign. I think the original thread says it all...and mind you did not start this. Read it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nail on the head mate.

They all had a thing or two marra. Does CW have pace like Wright or Bent? Does he have the shooting sense of Phillips or Shearer? Does he have without the ball movement of Sheringham? Does he have the fighting spirit of Benzema? All these lads I saw they were young and had this. And it's really insane to compare these players to our head down, slow moving but I am good in my opinion....I love myself but not the team so please call me Mr. Wickham you trolls who worship me and let you sweat before I sign. I think the original thread says it all...and mind you did not start this. Read it again.

Were playing non-league football at Wickham's current age.

Wickham is a 'modern day CF' - he is big, strong, fairly mobile, holds it well, has a deft touch and is capable of a hard shot. He is a 'lone striker' - none of those players aside from Benzema (Bent, on occasion) played that role with any regularity (and I'm not going to compare him to Benzema). Connor Wickham doesn't HAVE to be Benzema, Ronaldo or Messi to play for Sunderland, he just needs to be himself (with the rough edges shaved). He needs GAMES.

Yes he makes bad decisions on the ball, and probably has had an attitude problem in the past. However, he went for 8m pounds at the age of 18 and was treated poorly by the club aswell - it's a 2 way street, a bad owner breeds a bad dog.

Were playing non-league football at Wickham's current age.

Wickham is a 'modern day CF' - he is big, strong, fairly mobile, holds it well, has a deft touch and is capable of a hard shot. He is a 'lone striker' - none of those players aside from Benzema (Bent, on occasion) played that role with any regularity (and I'm not going to compare him to Benzema). Connor Wickham doesn't HAVE to be Benzema, Ronaldo or Messi to play for Sunderland, he just needs to be himself (with the rough edges shaved). He needs GAMES.

Yes he makes bad decisions on the ball, and probably has had an attitude problem in the past. However, he went for 8m pounds at the age of 18 and was treated poorly by the club aswell - it's a 2 way street, a bad owner breeds a bad dog.

He doesn't have a deft touch
Anyone on those wages and those transfer fees has no reason to feel he's been treated poorly

CW is fine. He is what he is - very average. Nothing more.

I will take you seriously when you start to learn how to count. 6 games not 5 pl games. And when you stop defending a player who we can see care nothing for the club. If he has talents like Ronaldo or Messi...he can behave however the fook he wants but he has no game to back up for his arrogance and disdain for the club.
He scored against brum though so it is only 5 games

He doesn't have a deft touch
Anyone on those wages and those transfer fees has no reason to feel he's been treated poorly

CW is fine. He is what he is - very average. Nothing more.

He does have a good touch, but you're not wrong otherwise. He is 'fine' - I do think he will become a useful and capable player here in time.

Good point. Look at Kevin Phillips there. Quinn too. And Drogba.

Good point. Look at Kevin Phillips there. Quinn too. And Drogba.
Exactly...Phillips always had a nose for the football....Quinn had football sense and Drogba pace. Connor needs to develop pace by running with the track team and Usain Bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back