Just for once

Status
Not open for further replies.

In 2 of Paolo's first 3 games we beat teams that some fans haven't seen us beat (more so Mags away, not counting 2008). That has to stand for something, right?

Even if this isn't our year, it'll come. And if he isn't already, Ellis Short is on the verge of writing himself into Sunderland folklore and being thought of as highly as Quinny. maybe not that high

My Great-Granda Loudon used to tell me about the Charles Buchan days. My Granda Loudon used to tell me about the Raich Carter days. My Dad and Uncles told me of the Shack days.

I was immersed in the history of our great club long before I was taken to my first match, the opening match of the 1960/61 season v Swansea. We won 2-1, can't remember a damn thing about the match. What I remember is emerging on to The Roker End and bursting into tears. I'd never seen grass so green, and the floodlights raising up to the sky, the sights and smells (tab smoke mostly :lol:) and so on. And so began "my era", the 60's, King Charlie.

Didn't totally get into understanding what was happening on the pitch for a couple seasons I have to say. But, by the end of the 1962/63 season and the heartache of that last home match v Chelsea, I was right into it. The following season was the first of my great Sunderland teams, the one that got us back to the top level, the first promotion. Alan Brown jumped ship and the board didn't make the right appointment, Bill Shankly was keen if you read the history books, and the yo-yo years started.

Move forward and it's not until Bob Stokoe that we saw more good times. Not just the cup, which was wonderful and to quote Max Boyce, I was there. but the promotion that followed, squibbles in the boardroom - twats. It didn't work out, more bad years followed.The worst years, Mackemenermy, relegated to the 3rd division. I wish it hadn't happened, but what fun season that was, smashed all before us out of sight. Stayed at Marco's hotel in York not long ago and Mrs.Corvus and me had a good craic with Marco and his missus, Debbie, one evening about that time and what followed the following season. Play-off semi-final, Hardiman booting Burridge and the wonderful night at the landfill. Ok we botted it at Wembley, but still got promoted. RSM couldn't give Denis Smith resources and the yo-yo continued. We'll forget about the Buxton/Butcher seasons co they were shite and along came Peter Reid. The Peter Reid years were wonderful until it all went wrong. RSM failed again, firstly appointing Wilko then failing to back MikMac when things got going again.

Enter Lord Quinn, the man imo who has given more of himself to SAFC than any other in our history, and another lift. But headbanger Keane was a bad move. We are just about up to date. O'Neill was lost without his mate Robbo, Cloughie (and how I loved him as a player for us when I was a kid, and what he achieved afterwards)/ Peter Taylor situation.

And so we find ourselves in the hands of PDC and his fellow countrymen. New signings going on left, right and centre and another dawn. I have to admit whilst I'm not totally clued up on all these lads we are signing, there's certainly a buzz going on.

Just for once? There's been many periods during my lifetime when Sunderland teams have thrilled me. Maybe we are on the dawn of sustained growth to get SAFC amongst the elite again.

Maybe Ellis Short and the crazy Italian can deliver something that has not been seen for decades. I hope so. Just for once, no.I want us to be the football club we were before 1957/58.

lovely post fella.

what, corrupt? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back