Jobe (though discussion about Pritchard and Ekwah)

Probably was relaxed because Pritchard wasn't barking at him 🥵
One win and Pritchard is the panto villain. Pritchard has been a good player for us who up until Saturday most people wanted to stay. I don’t agree with his stance but he has had the piss took out of him and the contract offer was nothing more than a token gesture to appease an unhappy fan base. One win against a shit Stoke side and he’s the one man rotten core in the dressing room.

Put a good midfielder in this team. Someone who literally covers and tells everyone else where to stand. Corey Evans, Sam Morsy, Joe Rothwell… we are 3rd or 4th probably.

Sometimes you need the barking…
that player for me is more important than getting a cf in but frustratingly I've not seen a single link to that sort of player bar M'Vila who we're obviously not remotely interested in. I'd even take Brannagan from Oxford, a player who always stood out in league one & I'm surprised is still down there. He'd sit in & let 2 from Neil, Ekwah, Jobe & Rigg do their thing as attacking 8's.
As for Jobe I don't know about tiredness but if someone is out of form particularly a young lad, you take them out for a game or 2 then put them back in. Whether it's a directive from Speakman or just lack of options I don't know but Mowbray & Beale, have a habit of over playingplayers (even Dodds who played Ba when he was out of form). Matete & Rigg should have had some run outs or at least had half n hour at the end of games just to freshen up things/take a player out of the firing line.
Matete will likely move on & that's fine (so long as he's replaced with the cdm needed) but he could have been utilised while here.

He doesn’t need a rest, he needs more games.

He’s a brilliant footballer but he needs to learn to get his body in the way and take a hit.

Two contrasting instances on Saturday, the one where he let the ball run across him and took out 3 players. Class.

The one where the balls there and he needs to get hold of it, (about 18 minutes in) and he jumps on the floor and their lad just runs out with it… not so class

There’s a few this season and I know the game has moved on, but I’ve kept thinking back to Reid’s comments in the Premier Passions doc.

‘Put your body there, make them hit you. Men against boys, weak as piss’

He’s not the only culprit, Burstow, Ekwah, Hemir etc.

It’ll come with games. But this is what you get when you sign players who’s only experience is U23’s…
Ekwah is terrible for this...not every move in football can be finesse and guile, sometimes you've got to give and take some contact. If some of our lads could get comfortable with that, they'd be twice the player.

Jobe has everything to be a top player, apart from experience. The younger lads need to be playing in order to get the experience. What experience gives you is the knowledge to make a positive contribution when your not having your best game / up against somebody (or a team) who is having theirs.

One win and Pritchard is the panto villain. Pritchard has been a good player for us who up until Saturday most people wanted to stay. I don’t agree with his stance but he has had the piss took out of him and the contract offer was nothing more than a token gesture to appease an unhappy fan base. One win against a shit Stoke side and he’s the one man rotten core in the dressing room.

One thing led to another and it all escalated?

Since Beale arrived, Pritchard appeared to be really pissed off (with Beale) that, and including the way he had been treated by the club over his contract etc...... his 'barking' may of been a bit more intense. The younger lads might of been a little tense 🤔

Personally, I would have tried a little harder to kept Pritchard happier, without breaking the bank.

By default Pritchard may have been disrupting the dressing room, I'm guessing it wasn't all perfectly harmonious with Beale?

18 and looks more than comfortable at holding his own for a good side in the Championship.

Absolutely mental how often he is questioned.

Technically a very good player but the worry for me is lack of pace and awareness when carrying the ball. The ball carrying can definitely be improved upon but will he get any quicker?

Jobe has everything to be a top player, apart from experience. The younger lads need to be playing in order to get the experience. What experience gives you is the knowledge to make a positive contribution when you’re not having your best game / up against somebody (or a team) who is having theirs.
He is a unit for an 18 year old boy that much is for sure. He will go on to have a good career but not sure he will be a top top player. He turns like a super tanker and his close control in tight situations normally results in him losing possession. He was like this before his poor run of form. Personally I don't think he’s a no.10 He doesn’t lead a press and isn’t that creative. Longer term I think he’s more of a no.8 as he’s athletic and strong and should be able to go box to box. Lad needs a rest though but as the Bellinghams come and watch a lot of home games it isn’t going to happen. Give Rigg or Hashish a run of games as the no.10 and once he’s had a couple of weeks out bring him in for Ekwah who for me is massively overrated.

I can't see Rigg atm as a CM

We definitely need midfield recruitment at CDM and potential cover/competition as it will help Ekwah and Neil

Jobe will be class, and is learning his trade. We're lucky to have him and Rigg etc at this stage to develop. However; he needs to be coached to be more urgent and switched on at times.

I imagine he has been so much better than his peers for so long he's not needed to be urgent and get the ball moving quickly, or get stuck in with his body as said by posters above. To be expected that he's f***ing up and not being as good as he can be sometimes.

He's not alone IMHO. The younger lads don't need rests or dropping, just rotation and time to develop and learn. I feel that pretty much all of our mids are attacking and the best signing we could make would be a solid defensive midfield general (not flashy just hard and a leader). Then we could rotate and develop Ekwah, Neil, Jobe, Adil and Rigg. Start a couple, if it's not their day they drop out and let the others have a crack.

Feels like we are so close to having an awesome team that could grow into something capable of surviving then thriving if we got promoted, with a bit more experience.
that player for me is more important than getting a cf in but frustratingly I've not seen a single link to that sort of player bar M'Vila who we're obviously not remotely interested in. I'd even take Brannagan from Oxford, a player who always stood out in league one & I'm surprised is still down there. He'd sit in & let 2 from Neil, Ekwah, Jobe & Rigg do their thing as attacking 8's.
As for Jobe I don't know about tiredness but if someone is out of form particularly a young lad, you take them out for a game or 2 then put them back in. Whether it's a directive from Speakman or just lack of options I don't know but Mowbray & Beale, have a habit of over playingplayers (even Dodds who played Ba when he was out of form). Matete & Rigg should have had some run outs or at least had half n hour at the end of games just to freshen up things/take a player out of the firing line.
Matete will likely move on & that's fine (so long as he's replaced with the cdm needed) but he could have been utilised while here.
Absolutely, what I was thinking when I posted without reading though the thread!

Last edited:

Back