How much is a kit & gear contract worth to Adidas / Nike / Puma etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I'm asking is you see those companies above use the same template for a few clubs with slight modifications. You'd think they would make a completely new design for each club unless the contract is worth pennies?

The reason I'm asking is you see those companies above use the same template for a few clubs with slight modifications. You'd think they would make a completely new design for each club unless the contract is worth pennies?
Why? The less it costs them, the more money they make.

Adidas sponsor over 450 football club and national kits across the globe.

The point is, why would they bow down to us and create us a unique kit?

Thats more or less what my original question was, why are they not bespoke like most other industries.

You know when you have a website made, a company logo, t-shirts printed, brochures, stadiums you name it, they are tailored to the buyer.. Why is it different in this instance?

Really? OK then....

That's 900 new kits a year, and there's only so much you can do with a football shirt. Our strips are unique to us, which is a lot more than the vast majority.

Yes really, you do understand that companies hire and grow to accommodate demand right?

There are lots of other sectors that have to produce far more designs in a year than a huge giant like Adidas. They are not 15 blokes in a garage you know.

By definition, they are not 900 designs if a LOT are carbon copies with mods

Last edited:
Yes really, you do understand that companies hire and grow to accommodate demand right?

There are lots of other sectors that have to produce far more designs in a year than a huge giant like Adidas. They are not 15 blokes in a garage you know.

And if we ever grow our brand that we become a big customer for a company like Adidas, we will get a bespoke design.

By definition, that's exactly what I said. They don't make 900 new shirts a year.

And if we ever grow our brand that we become a big customer for a company like Adidas, we will get a bespoke design.

By definition, that's exactly what I said. They don't make 900 new shirts a year.

It might be a naive question from me, but don't we pay adidas for the shirt design and therefore it's nothing to do with the value of our brand, it to do with the size of the monies (contract) involved?

How many shirts are bought by our fans for any one of our recent shirts? How does that compare to say m+s making a dress for instance or a particular jumper? They are unique and worth about the same but they manage something different to what other retailers sell. Goal keepers shirts from Adidas are all the same, is that because you sell less?

How many shirts are bought by our fans for any one of our recent shirts? How does that compare to say m+s making a dress for instance or a particular jumper? They are unique and worth about the same but they manage something different to what other retailers sell. Goal keepers shirts from Adidas are all the same, is that because you sell less?
Well relating to my most recent question (IF) we are paying them for a design it should be bespoke IMHO like any other industry.

It might be a naive question from me, but don't we pay adidas for the shirt design and therefore it's nothing to do with the value of our brand, it to do with the size of the monies (contract) involved?

No, Adidas pay us for the privilege, thus giving a value to the sales of merchandise and marketing opportunities by being associated with us.

We are on 2nd tier deal, below clubs like Chelsea, Madrid and Munich.

Thats more or less what my original question was, why are they not bespoke like most other industries.

You know when you have a website made, a company logo, t-shirts printed, brochures, stadiums you name it, they are tailored to the buyer.. Why is it different in this instance?

Websites/T Shirts Brochures all can and are done to a template with specific things to that company ie name and logo then added...........that's exactly what Adidas and the Like do with Shirts.............

Well relating to my most recent question (IF) we are paying them for a design it should be bespoke IMHO like any other industry.
I agree, marksies might make 50000 versions of a jumper and sell them Europe wide, if it were the same as someone else they would loose their share of the market. Kit producers are lazy as they know that they have an audience that will buy it no matter what.

Websites/T Shirts Brochures all can and are done to a template with specific things to that company ie name and logo then added...........that's exactly what Adidas and the Like do with Shirts.............
Yes they *can* but most of the best shops that I've worked for don't and are always new designs. Then again they were mostly 15k - 100k websites.
Anyway it's the fact Adidas pay us, not the other way around that explains the whole thing.

Around 90-100,000 a year, give or take.

Any dress you will see on the high street will be a variation on a well worn theme, the principle is the same.

Around 90-100,000 a year, give or take.

Any dress you will see on the high street will be a variation on a well worn theme, the principle is the same.
So roughly thats $4.5m in sales. Makes you wonder why we could not just pay adidas say £50K for a bespoke design and why every clubs does not do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back