How long has your family supported the Lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fatha ia a mag, eldest brother is a Leeds fan, late bro, older bro, me, little bro and little sisters all massive lads fans since 1970's onwards ;)

My grandad on me mams side was a massive lads fan. But he was a welsh miner who moved to Sunderland I think mid 1930's. My nanas family had been in Sunderland from Scotland for a couple of generations but don't know anything about them.

So I'll just claim 80 odd years.

Only goes back to my grandad who first went in 1964, his first game was a 3-1 win over Derby. Then my dad and me. My grandads dad wasnt interested in football so my grandad went with his first boss when he started work and it went from there.

My grandads first match in 1923. My Dad in 1948. Mine in 1968. My son in 1987, my daughter in 1993 & my granddaughter next year.

My Dad was born 12 September 1925. His Dad, my Grandad, went to the match on that day while my Gran was in labour. We beat Sheffield United 4 0 I think. So I would guess since at least early 1900s. I have passed on the faith (curse?) to my three sons.

My Dad was born 12 September 1925. His Dad, my Grandad, went to the match on that day while my Gran was in labour. We beat Sheffield United 4 0 I think. So I would guess since at least early 1900s. I have passed on the faith (curse?) to my three sons.

6-1 mate

I really don't know much about my family history with SAFC. I know that my grandad (mum's dad) was one of us but used to watch both us and the Mags in the 1920s and 1930s. Both of his brothers died before I was born, and his nephews were Mags so I don't know whether he was a one-off. My mum's mum's side are all Mags.

My dad's dad was originally from Stoke and wasn't interested in football. My dad's mum had no interest either and her father died before my dad was born. My dad's aunt (grandmother's sister) married a man from Bishop Aukland who was a "massive Lads fan" so their kids all supported us. When my dad first got into football, he was going to be a Mag but his cousins told him Sunderland were higher in the league so he should support them - and he did. So effectively I support Sunderland because my dad is a glory hunter!

I know that my grandad went to the 1913 Cup Final against Villa and I reckon that in all we have supported the Lads for around 110 -120 years. The thing is I never thought that this was at all unusual for Sunderland supporters . How far does your family go back? Can anyone say from the very start of the club ?

My Grandpaw was born in 1909 and I understands That his SAFC allegiance came from his own father so it's possible my family have been supporting The Lads since day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back