How long has your family supported the Lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Both sides of our family for as far back as we can remember were firmly sunderland. However I did hear a rumour that one of my cousins had a brief flirtation with Leeds but that got punted into the long grass in 1973. Scumbag I understand he emigrated to Tasmania and has never been heard of since. :cool:

All of my grandparents were born in Sunderland (Suddick x3 and Ryhope) and the only Granda I knew (born 1912) always followed the lads. On my Mam's side 3 of her grandparents were also born in Sunderland and one of her Grandma's was born in Manchester but moved here as a child. My Dad's side is complicated, one Granda was born in Kent, not sure about the Grandma on that side and on his Mam's side they came from the West Country originally and I don't think she knew her Dad.

I reckon most of my great grandparents in theory supported the lads and just as important not a skunk in sight! That said the family never had a pot to piss in either so would only be part timers :)

All of my grandparents were born in Sunderland (Suddick x3...

My paternal grandfather's family (born about the same time as yours) were from Alice St. in Southwick and I know that my great-grandad supported SAFC.

There was a book about Suddick-on-Wear, there might be some photos of your family in there.

My grandad did and he was born in 1914, I don't think his dad did but there would have probably been uncle who did. That side of the family came over from Ireland in the 1800s and my gran's side were East Durham before she moved to Sunderland, so I reckon 1879.

My great grandad used to go in the 1920's, no idea before that but I guess Cornsay Colliery to Sunderland was tricky journey pre WW1.

I've never seen any proof, but my Dad told me that my great grandfather was one of the original shareholders in SAFC. I'm not even sure when shares were first issued.

My Dad was born in 1928 and could recall going to watch the 1936 Championship side. My granddad was born in 1888, so could potentially have seen the back end of the Team of all the Talents

A long time. My dad says his grandad, my great grandad swore he saw the lads in the 1880's. Dad reckons my great grandad and his brother went to the lads first game against ferryhill. So 140 years, and my son will be going to his first game by the end of the season so add on another 80 future years at least.

Last edited:
Grandfather was born about 100 metres from St James Park so naturally started off as a Newcastle supporter in the 30s but when he returned after the war he ended up down south. He was desperate to move back up to the North East and found a place in Sunderland so thought that was close enough (I guess) so he ended up moving there and defected at that point. Bit of a Glory supporter if you ask me as the team would have been a damn bit easier to support in the 50s.
My dad was born and grew up in Sunderland and that was him for life. He even made sure I was born in Sunderland even though Newcastle hospital was closer.
I didn't know the story at all until after my Grandfather had died. Was quite shocked that the whole reason I was born in and support a Football team was because my grandfather took the first oportunity to get back to the North East.

I have lived in the Midlands since I was very young but I can already tell my kids will be Sunderland supporters because to be honest, they are the kind of team I would want to support anyway. I would always root for an underdog, and I feel that Sunderland will always, wrongly, be perceived as that and I enjoy the days when we prove people wrong.

So, long story short, 70 years then.

Since the beginning as all the family were born and bred in the North East.

It will probably end with my son though.
Same with me which is sad. Being in Canada doesn't help as all his mates play and talk is hockey. He does sometimes watch the game and always asks about it but I think that's more to humour me than anything. Mind if and when either of my kids give me a grandchild then a full court press, scarf for the christening, will begin

Granda supported both, going to st james and roker. He was always more sunderland though and when some newcastle supporting kids in a factory started takingt the piss out of the older lads for having the gumpton to support both of their big local sides, he picked sunderland.

Edit: on the basis that he was in a factory in newcastle so the wankers taking the piss were barcodes.

I know from my Dad that my Grandad went over Roker, my Dad has been all over with Sunderland (he's 77),he was at Charlie Hurleys first game,FA Cup semi final 1955 and loads of others, my uncle took me to my first game in 1972 and he still goes and attends the senior supporters meetings on Tuesdays over the SOL,it's hard to put a time on it but with my Grandad we must go back to the 20's at least.

As far as I am aware I am the third generation to support the lads, caught the Sunderland bug off my mum who has supported them all her life, she caught the bug off her dad, she says that she can remember him going in the late 40s, 50s & 60s, she said she once caught sight of him one night while watching Match Of The Day he was in the crowd smoking his pipe.

Not sure if his Dad followed them, as my granddad died in 1987

My paternal grandfather's family (born about the same time as yours) were from Alice St. in Southwick and I know that my great-grandad supported SAFC.

There was a book about Suddick-on-Wear, there might be some photos of your family in there.

My Granda's family lived in Morgan Street, first mentioned in the 1851 census. His Dad was a twin. My Mam was born there in 1940 and when she was a lass there was about 4 people with her family name living in the Street. When I looked into it they were all related somewhere along the line :lol: The family moved to Red House in the late 1940's, stayed there for about 50 years.

The family had moved to Suddick from Deptford in the early 1800's. They're the opposite of gypsies, moved about 2 miles in the best part of 150 years! :)

I'm the first one.

My father is from out of the area and has never followed football but took me to the milk cup final.

My mother is from Newcastle so most of the extended family are mags although after living in Sunderland for many years follows the lads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back