How long has your family supported the Lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Potts

Striker
I know that my grandad went to the 1913 Cup Final against Villa and I reckon that in all we have supported the Lads for around 110 -120 years. The thing is I never thought that this was at all unusual for Sunderland supporters . How far does your family go back? Can anyone say from the very start of the club ?

I'm third generation, me grand da who i never met went with his brother Charlie to the Yeovil cup game, instead of the getting the train back from London they stayed there and got hammered for the weekend, losing their jobs in the means. All because the result was so embarrassing :lol::lol:

For definite, I know me, my old man and grandad support/supported the lads.

My grandad was born in 1905 I think, so our family support probably stretches back to around 1915-1920.

Given my grandad supported the lads, there is a high chance his dad did, who would stretch our support back to the club's inception.

My grandad saw Charlie Buchan, granda was born c 1903 so if his dad was a fan...which I've yet to confirm, I'd say more or less from 1879 on....he saw us win the league and the cup, my dad saw us go close to both in the late 40s/early 50s.....I started in '68......a long road pitted with mediocrity and the very occasional transcendental moment which makes all the misery worth it.

;)

Reactions: MKF
I followed my dad into supporting sunderland - he followed them from age 8 so, that would be 1956.

My granddad was born in Gladstone Street in Fulwell in 1897 and went to the matches - I don't know if his dad (born 1875) went to any matches but I do know my Grandad's brother went to the 1937 Cup Final cos I have his ticket stub.

Difficult to know for me as I have found no evidence.
Mar and dar are deed so can't ask them.
So its down to me and that arny gans back to prior to winning the cup.

My grandfather was born in 1903, now deceased. His first game was in the 1920s. My father started going in the 1940s and I saw my first safc game in 1971.

Not sure how long from but my grandddad played for Sunderland, so my mam follwoed them ever since she popped out 68 years ago!.. Then same for me when I popped out.

Since the beginning as all the family were born and bred in the North East.

It will probably end with my son though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back