How good are Leicester City FC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, it shows too by the amount of chances he's getting or rather the positions he's getting himself into, but it has to be said he's taking his chances well, there have been some very good finishes.

I still think that he, and to some extent the team, are going through a bit of a purple patch and I think the performances of both will drop off as the season goes on. But I wouldn't be worrying about that too much, by the look of it Leicester will be comfortably safe this season so you can enjoy the rest of the season and see how high you can finish at the end. I'm guessing top ten would make you all happy?

Yeah without a shadow of a doubt, I'd be thrilled with top 10. I'd be thrilled with surviving for the next two years in all honesty. With the new TV deal kicking in the gap between the top league and the championship could become almost impossible to bridge providing you have sensible management. That could mean really cementing our position for a long time, something we should have done after O'Neill's era, but failed with one terrible managerial appointment, shows how quick it can all change.

Yeah it's a purple patch, who on earth would think it's going to carry on forever. Only two losses in 19 games in all comps (against Chelsea and Arsenal... we went ahead in both of them as well) with 12 wins 5 draws. I think it's enough to prove we belong in this league at the moment, so I'm just going to enjoy it whilst it lasts. We have a terrible December coming up, but outside the top 6 I don't think there is much to fear at the moment.

Long term, what can any clubs outside the top 5/6 hope for. Staying up and a cup run is about the best it will get without someone throwing a billion quid at it. Players and managers will always get poached by the bigger teams.

Yeah without a shadow of a doubt, I'd be thrilled with top 10. I'd be thrilled with surviving for the next two years in all honesty. With the new TV deal kicking in the gap between the top league and the championship could become almost impossible to bridge providing you have sensible management. That could mean really cementing our position for a long time, something we should have done after O'Neill's era, but failed with one terrible managerial appointment, shows how quick it can all change.

Yeah it's a purple patch, who on earth would think it's going to carry on forever. Only two losses in 19 games in all comps (against Chelsea and Arsenal... we went ahead in both of them as well) with 12 wins 5 draws. I think it's enough to prove we belong in this league at the moment, so I'm just going to enjoy it whilst it lasts. We have a terrible December coming up, but outside the top 6 I don't think there is much to fear at the moment.

Long term, what can any clubs outside the top 5/6 hope for. Staying up and a cup run is about the best it will get without someone throwing a billion quid at it. Players and managers will always get poached by the bigger teams.

TV deal after TV deal there have been Championship clubs who have come up and stayed up. It's been a while since all three promoted have returned immediately.

Despite the current gap in incomes (which is enormous) the three promoted sides are doing really well so far.

So it's more about the management in my view. One slip (i.e., the wrong managerial appointment) as you have alluded to, and it's curtains vs. those well ran and organised. We have been lucky, so lucky to get away with the Di Canio and Poyet appointments. Time will tell if Allardyce can keep us up, but there doesn't seem anyone better qualified.

What is almost certain though, as it stands, probably two from three of Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle will go this year. The latter two certainly if they don't change manager. Their next appointments (like us) are make or break.

This prompted me to check on Leicesters managerial appointments since MoN.

:eek: f***ing hell

TV deal after TV deal there have been Championship clubs who have come up and stayed up. It's been a while since all three promoted have returned immediately.

Despite the current gap in incomes (which is enormous) the three promoted sides are doing really well so far.

So it's more about the management in my view. One slip (i.e., the wrong managerial appointment) as you have alluded to, and it's curtains vs. those well ran and organised. We have been lucky, so lucky to get away with the Di Canio and Poyet appointments. Time will tell if Allardyce can keep us up, but there doesn't seem anyone better qualified.

What is almost certain though, as it stands, probably two from three of Sunderland, Villa and Newcastle will go this year. The latter two certainly if they don't change manager. Their next appointments (like us) are make or break.
I was talking yesterday to a couple of Pools fans and they think we are fecked cos Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich are nobody's fools this season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they won't come up and stay up. I'm saying that that money is so huge that if your club is run fairly well you shouldn't be in trouble. You look at the bottom of the table (sorry), and the three teams at the bottom have been badly managed from the top to bottom in my opinion. With ultimately the bad decisions coming from board level and filtering down.

Despite them being from Asia (most don't seem to be able to handle it very well), our owners have been incredible so far. They have always had a very long term view with huge investment in the club from the youth team, to the training ground, funding Pearson's sport science and scouting (which was extensive). Whilst the timing of Pearson's sacking certainly was odd. They have stood by him so many times before where others would have got rid.

There is always that chance of implosion, but this extra deal gives all teams getting it for a few years a huge advantage in terms of the quality they can have in their squads. Obviously you still need to spend it well.

:D

See what I mean.

Last edited:

I agree with everything you say. It's brilliant being where we are, although I don't see us hanging on where we are: I think most City fans would be happy with a couple of years of mid-table mediocrity while we consolidate. Personally I think we might get a bit of a kicking in the next two matches, against Southampton and Palace.

Mind you, talking about the top six, you should maybe have a read of this - http://www.sportingintelligence.com...x-city-arsenal-united-head-title-race-161001/ - which claims that the only teams in the running for the PL title are Man City, Man U, Ar$enal... West Ham, Palace and City.

So we can look forward to another relegation dog-fight this season

Quite. And how do you think we felt? One after the other, shit pile on shit, until the whole lot fell over with the halfwit rentagob Holloway, and we end up in Division Three for the first time ever.

You can see why so many of us were fans of Nigel Pearson.

Last edited:
And I thought we were bad :lol:

What was the crack with Pearson's sacking btw?
Pushed his luck just once too often I think. The owners have always backed him even through terrible results in this league and the championship. Sadly I think his inability to control himself cost him having a job for as long as he wanted it.

Pushed his luck just once too often I think. The owners have always backed him even through terrible results in this league and the championship. Sadly I think his inability to control himself cost him having a job for as long as he wanted it.
so glad he didn't end up here! the man is an animal

But the end results were okay though.

For what it's worth I think the bloke is a complete balloon - that carry on against Palace :lol: mind I noticed Pardiola wasn't so quick as to try and abuse Pearson the way he bravely takes on pensioners like Pelligrini and Mon.

so glad he didn't end up here! the man is an animal

He's not, to be honest. He got a bad press last season, some of which he earned, but if you listen to what the players, other managers and most journalists said about him, and he's clearly a decent man, and knows how to get he best out of players: look at the improvements in Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Morgan, Schmeichel - all of them put it down to Pearson.

I think he'd have done a good job at Sunderland, but that's in the past - I think Allardyce will be good as well. But it will be interesting to see where Pearson ends up - Mags anyone?

He's not, to be honest. He got a bad press last season, some of which he earned, but if you listen to what the players, other managers and most journalists said about him, and he's clearly a decent man, and knows how to get he best out of players: look at the improvements in Vardy, Mahrez, Albrighton, Morgan, Schmeichel - all of them put it down to Pearson.

I think he'd have done a good job at Sunderland, but that's in the past - I think Allardyce will be good as well. But it will be interesting to see where Pearson ends up - Mags anyone?
If NP ends up with the mags we are screwed.

Did well today to come back and get a draw showing a bit of grit

the way he has behaved has been disgraceful and not what I would want from anyone employed at safc let alone the manager. a little strange the incident that appeared to lead to him leaving was his son behaving in a disgusting way but no surprise based on his role model.

Did well today to come back and get a draw showing a bit of grit

the way he has behaved has been disgraceful and not what I would want from anyone employed at safc let alone the manager. a little strange the incident that appeared to lead to him leaving was his son behaving in a disgusting way but no surprise based on his role model.

I'm not sure what disgraceful behaviour you mean. I can think of four incidents which people pick on:
1. He told a City fan to "Fuck off and die!". That particular individual had been, apparently, abusing Pearson in the foulest terms for several matches, and then started on his (Pearson's) wife and daughter. That's when Pearson gave him a mouthful. OK, so he was fined a load of money, but the vast majority of City fans - including those sitting near the foul-mouthed fan - supported Pearson, and thought the fan should have been banned.
2. He had a silly touchline scramble with James McArthur of Crystal Palace. It was blown out of all proportion by Lineker and Co on Match of the Day but, tellingly, McArthur didn't complain, neither did his manager, and the FA took no action. Ultimately, it was a bit of stupid horseplay, and no harm done.
3. He called a reporter, under his breath, a prick after he asked a prickish question.
4. He told another reporter he was an "ostrich", for which he apologised, in public, the following day.

I think you need to set those against a host of kind and decent things that Pearson has done, and which have been acknowledged by journalists, players and other managers, and they pale into insignificance.

His son, I grant you, behaved appallingly and was deservedly sacked - along with his two team-mates - by City. That action was supported by practically every fan, and I should think most players. No-one knows if it was Pearson's support of his son that got him fired. But it seems unlikely, given that he is an active promoter and supporter of of the "Kick It Out" campaign, got rid of Wayne Brown when he boasted to his black team-mates that he had voted for the BNP, and has been a long-standing promoter of players from ethnic minorities. If Pearson did try to get favourable treatment for his son, he deserved to go, simple as that. But, like I say, it seems out of character to me.

I'm not sure what disgraceful behaviour you mean. I can think of four incidents which people pick on:
1. He told a City fan to "Fuck off and die!". That particular individual had been, apparently, abusing Pearson in the foulest terms for several matches, and then started on his (Pearson's) wife and daughter. That's when Pearson gave him a mouthful. OK, so he was fined a load of money, but the vast majority of City fans - including those sitting near the foul-mouthed fan - supported Pearson, and thought the fan should have been banned.
2. He had a silly touchline scramble with James McArthur of Crystal Palace. It was blown out of all proportion by Lineker and Co on Match of the Day but, tellingly, McArthur didn't complain, neither did his manager, and the FA took no action. Ultimately, it was a bit of stupid horseplay, and no harm done.
3. He called a reporter, under his breath, a prick after he asked a prickish question.
4. He told another reporter he was an "ostrich", for which he apologised, in public, the following day.

I think you need to set those against a host of kind and decent things that Pearson has done, and which have been acknowledged by journalists, players and other managers, and they pale into insignificance.

His son, I grant you, behaved appallingly and was deservedly sacked - along with his two team-mates - by City. That action was supported by practically every fan, and I should think most players. No-one knows if it was Pearson's support of his son that got him fired. But it seems unlikely, given that he is an active promoter and supporter of of the "Kick It Out" campaign, got rid of Wayne Brown when he boasted to his black team-mates that he had voted for the BNP, and has been a long-standing promoter of players from ethnic minorities. If Pearson did try to get favourable treatment for his son, he deserved to go, simple as that. But, like I say, it seems out of character to me.
In all my time on here you put together the most well structured responses to discussions and it may be that he is a decent bloke but my instinct is I wouldn't want him to be here and the incident that I really didn't like was point 4 which made everyone feel very uncomfortable. It didn't seem out of character but I acknowledge many said it was and it might be. I also acknowledge that he did apologise and that we all make mistakes.

In all my time on here you put together the most well structured responses to discussions and it may be that he is a decent bloke but my instinct is I wouldn't want him to be here and the incident that I really didn't like was point 4 which made everyone feel very uncomfortable. It didn't seem out of character but I acknowledge many said it was and it might be. I also acknowledge that he did apologise and that we all make mistakes.

Thanks for this.

I fully appreciate that Pearson didn't do his media image any good with his outbursts, but in his defence, I would say that he took all the flak, and never once blamed his players (who were dire at times in the middle of the season). I would think that being the "front man" took its strain on him, and occasionally he let fly. On the "ostrich" incident, the reporter he addressed the remarks to, Ian Baker of the Daily/Sunday Express later described Pearson as one of the nicest and most generous people he had met in football.

It's clear that Pearson hated being forced to appear in front of the media (and let's face it, a lot of the football media ask stupid questions) within 20 minutes of a match ending. And I tend to think that he maybe needed someone on his shoulder to say, from time to time, "Bonnie Lad, give it a rest, eh?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back