Haway the lasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too cold - but you are a northern lass - you are not supposed to get cold!

Well that is what my father said to me on one of the first occasions he took me to Roker Park on a freezing cold February evening. I was purple and spent the last 30 minutes of the match in the toilet trying to get the hand dryer to defrost me (lost to Ipswich IIRC).

Not too mentally scared as 30 + years later, still going to matches.
The cold is one of the reasons I dread relegation, too many midweek games on freezing Tuesday nights :neutral:.
I think your dad fibbed, part of the brainwashing process dads use to con their children into supporting Sunderland :evil::lol:

The cold is one of the reasons I dread relegation, too many midweek games on freezing Tuesday nights :neutral:.
I think your dad fibbed, part of the brainwashing process dads use to con their children into supporting Sunderland :evil::lol:

I nagged and nagged and nagged to go to a football match with him. I think a cold evening in the Fulwell was some sort of induction to try and shrug me off and put me on a better path in life. He failed miserably!!!

Now married with children, living at the other side of the country I still have my season ticket and am always calling my dad telling him that I have ordered tickets for the most impractical away matches - he might complain, but I do genuinely think he still enjoys going to the match (regardless of results) and spending time with me.

Despite recent disappointments at Sunderland, I do think football does have the ability to keep in touch.

I nagged and nagged and nagged to go to a football match with him. I think a cold evening in the Fulwell was some sort of induction to try and shrug me off and put me on a better path in life. He failed miserably!!!

Now married with children, living at the other side of the country I still have my season ticket and am always calling my dad telling him that I have ordered tickets for the most impractical away matches - he might complain, but I do genuinely think he still enjoys going to the match (regardless of results) and spending time with me.

Despite recent disappointments at Sunderland, I do think football does have the ability to keep in touch.
I remember me mam saying it was a phase and I'd grow out of it, I was 11 at the time.
40 years on I think it's a long time since she changed her theory about that.
I still love going with me dad and I know he enjoys going with me, its our time and I love it, although I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd cursed him several times for the emotional abuse he's put me through

I meant to say keep "families in touch" as if it wasn't for football / Sunderland I do not think I would have spend so much time with him - especially living miles away and being married with a family.

We used to have a system when I was younger that I would "pay based on results", to try and compensate for the emotional abuse he has put me through I have recently threatened to reintroduce this system. Four wins all season - I'd be quids in!!!

Well that is what my father said to me on one of the first occasions he took me to Roker Park on a freezing cold February evening. I was purple and spent the last 30 minutes of the match in the toilet trying to get the hand dryer to defrost me (lost to Ipswich IIRC).

Roker park -hand dryer!!!
Are you sure
I s this tony Blair posting here remember ing sitting in the roker end watching Len schakelton

No there was definitely a hand dryer at Roker Park - I can confirm that!!!

Roker park -hand dryer!!!
Are you sure
I s this tony Blair posting here remember ing sitting in the roker end watching Len schakelton

Maybe the ladies was better equipped than the men's.? I have tried to look at exact dates - I am sure it was a Tuesday night v ipswich to try and determine exact date - but can not find it. Will look some more :)

Last edited:

I don't remember the bogs at Roker Park having hand dryers like, mind I spent most of my time tip toeing through the swamp as quickly as I could :lol:

Ladies football, a complete waste of time and space, utter shite.
Get them back behind the food outlets if they want to be involved or selling tickets.
Women know your limits.

I would rather stick pins in my eyes whilst watching paint fry than watch lasses football.

The standard is pathetic.

I would rather stick pins in my eyes whilst watching paint fry than watch lasses football.

The standard is pathetic.
It's a lot better than watching Kingstonians or Hampton and Richmond, which I do from time to time ........ it's about supporting grass routes football man. We don't support the lads because it's like watching Brazil, we watch them because .......... (fill your own punishment regime in here!)

It's a lot better than watching Kingstonians or Hampton and Richmond, which I do from time to time ........ it's about supporting grass routes football man. We don't support the lads because it's like watching Brazil, we watch them because .......... (fill your own punishment regime in here!)
It's not better and never will be, it's shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back