Have we more in common with Scotland or the southerners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonofagun

Winger
Used to think Scotland but the Brexit results (Scotland hugely remain, NE majority leave) have made me not so sure...

Well historically we are more Anglo Scottish than Anglo Norman/Anglo French. Massive migration out of the borders into the NE and Cumberland during the purge of the Reiver clans (many NE surnames are Reiver) by James I and then again from a wider area of Scotland during the industrial revolution into the shipyards and mines.

Northumbria.

About the only sensible choice.

Last edited:
Basically we are descended from Borderers and in Scotland that was lowlanders rather than the highland clans who wore the tartan and kilts. Historically our allegiance has been neither Scottish nor English but what suited our own agenda at the time whenever the Scottish or English kings came into our land to fight their battles over a red line drawn on a map by people hundreds of miles away.

Basically we are descended from Borderers and in Scotland that was lowlanders rather than the highland clans who wore the tartan and kilts. Historically our allegiance has been neither Scottish nor English but what suited our own agenda at the time whenever the Scottish or English kings came into our land to fight their battles over a red line drawn on a map by people hundreds of miles away.
Hello mercy! Weren't the people of Sunderland aligned with the english whilst the people of Newcastle aligned with the Scottish in the past ? (Civil War)
Edit: It could well have been the other way around - my history lessons never taught me about the civil war.

Hello mercy! Weren't the people of Sunderland aligned with the english whilst the people of Newcastle aligned with the Scottish in the past ?

I think traditionally Newcastle was a loyalist stronghold. That was true in the Civil War but also during the Jacobite rebellion by Bonnie Prince Charlie. The nickname Geordie may arise from the fact Newcastle was loyal to George during the Jacobite insurgency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back